Miscellaneous ramblings

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions regarding back stops for my Ikea Kallax shelves. The fact that there is no back stop for each cubby rests entirely on my shoulders. Chalk it up to unfulfilled intentions. My intent was to use mill stock from the local lumberyard and cut to fit with a minor interference fit. However, vinyl acquisition got in the way of fulfilling that idea. I now need between 128 and 160 backstops. Time to fire up the cut-off saw, and send ma on for an extended vacation. I was considering pine 1"x 2", but maple or oak is preferred.

I chose a minor interference fit, seemed like a necessary thing.

1 Like

You can buy the best quality of pine at Menards. They have clear, S4S grade. Easier to cut and sand verses hardwoods. They have several sizes near your requirement. Made a bunch of diffusers with this.
But be aware that it is labor intensive.

2 Likes

Great system Ron. If you are on the fence to get the ARS transformers, don’t hesitate. Your system would reveal its merits.

Not a fan of Menards, and have not been in a Menards for a very long time. I won’t go into why. A friend owns a local lumber yard, and a fellow who worked for me has a son that works there. Those connections to community are what’s important to me. They too have excellent quality product.

Short story:
Last summer my contractor hat did or deck and sleeping pirch was directed to purchase all lumber from ourr local yard, as I had an account established for the project. Well, he went to Menards and Home Depot and had the lumber delivered figuring I’d be away. I was not, and directed the drivers to put the lumber back on the truck and return it to stock. The contractor was keyed in on the “contractopr kicker” (rebate) offered to them. There’s more to it, but looking at the lumber they attempted to deliver i gathered it was not of a high grade. For one thing about 20% of the framing lumber was not straight. The deck boards were of a low quality finish.

3 Likes

I do not use Menards, Home Depot and the like for framing lumber. Yes, it’s low quality. The exception was the specialty pine.

3 Likes

The moral of that story, not so much to you weedeewop, never let someone you don’t know pick out your lumber. You will get some of the cast-offs that were already culled from the pile. How else will the “store” get rid of that junk …

1 Like

To my mind the contractor should be working to my interests. Ha!

1 Like

The contractor and consumer interests should not be at odds. Both are no different in that we all want consistent high quality at competitive pricing. For over twenty years I used a single lumber company from Wisconsin that got all its No2. Douglas Fir from Canada and delivered for free to me in Illinois in a day. Less waste, less fuss. I would try Hines if you want consistent quality and competitive pricing, and free pickup for any bad or extra boards.

1 Like

Familiar with Hines, but they are not local. As I said my local source is also a personal friend, so paying a slight premium isn’t a concern. That and to date quality has been assured. If I was in the Chicago burbs, Hines would be a consideration. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

I would think you could count on your contractor being “someone you know”. In your case I would add the lumber yard too …

I had a heck of a time getting a contractor. It took well over 6 months, and then when I finally got some interest the bids were all over the map. Ultimately only one was actually interested in doing the job, and it turned out to be beyond his “skill set” IMO. My contractor friends have all aged out, and my plan was to enjoy time on the water, not doing this project. So the lumber yard helped immensely, the contractor, well I’ll just say the job is behind me.

1 Like

Uhkay–Why can’t record plants standardize on a hole punching tool? How could there possibly be inconsistency?

1 Like

I’d like to know the answer to that also. The last album I bought wasn’t even punched all the way through. No response from the distributor so I finished the hole myself. I’m not sure the hole was centered to begin with but it sure wasn’t after I was finished with it. Fortunately the music didn’t do anything for my anyway.

2 Likes

When I find an album I love that is a standout pressing I buy multiple copies. I have worn some out. But mostly I give them to guests.

I had a new guest tonight. It was all vinyl and CD. No streaming. He was very complimentary. Fun.

6 Likes