Miscellaneous ramblings

Icky weather today, so I’m going to re-rearrange things and put my Big Amp back into the rack. A bottle of Advil and heating pad standing by.

8 Likes

These are the days I think the best upgrade I did in my room is a miniSplit. But I will say as far as weather goes CT has done pretty well compared to the most of the country. And even this hit will only last 2 days and then back to 80s and lower humidity.

1 Like

We have been lucky enough to be north of the great heat wave so far.
My stereo is still in boxes in the warehouse so for now my big rig consists of my phone or laptop playing to a boom box. It still serves the purpose quite nicely and has me wondering about the huge pile of gear sitting idle. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Editor’s column in Road & Track? :slightly_smiling_face:

It does not take much equipment to enjoy listening.:+1:

4 Likes

I find the heaviest gear sounds the best. Always buy by weight.

7 Likes

Lest we forget the key being the selection of music.

2 Likes

To that point, and similar to @RonP’s quest - I am in the midst of a rearranging my LP storage project. I should have done this in the winter

3 Likes

Possibly share a picture or two. I am repurposing a room for record storage, it has turned into a colossal project.

2 Likes

Of course.

Its a bit like a hurricane rolled through at the moment. Nonetheless, when done it would be a boring photo as I am letting a new set of these do the work:

Purchased from: Can-Am Vinyl LP Storage Cabinet

4 Likes

Surprising that they can handle the weight. I’m using Ikea Kallax shelving, sized perfectly for LPs. The downside is there is no back stop for each cubby.

3 Likes

I already had a couple of them, and they distribute the weight really well. They also come with wall anchors and they highly recommend you use them. I have done so, but never found that any weight was put on the anchors

1 Like

Actually i bought custom made backstops after making my own. A little bit of work with some cheap millwork pieces does the job.

1 Like

Kallax backstops can be purchased here: https://turntablerevival.com/products/v3-premium-backspacer-for-ikea-kallax-expedit Two different styles offered depending on whether you want the LP edge to be flush with the Kallax front plane or set in a bit. I opted for the “skinny” model which provides a small ledge. Definitely cleans up the look by making all the setbacks consistent.

I’ve heard that some folks have cut up foam “pool noodles” to serve as backstops. No personal experience with that approach but it would definitely be a cheaper option.

I take 3 in cardboard right angle corner protectors from boxes of goods, cut to length and glue them in the back. I’m a cheap hillbilly… ha

1 Like

If you go to Home Depot you can find a 1/4 inch x 1/2 inch x 4 foot long piece of maple for about $3.00. The Turntable Revival pieces I bought are very underwhelming. And more expensive. But they are pre-cut which is nice if your mom doesn’t let you use saws.

3 Likes

Wait—how do you know my mom?

2 Likes

So the Big Boy is in it’s position of honor in The Rack. Glorious sound and I’m glad after all it wasn’t sold, deposit returned.

I’ll be shaped like a shrimp probably for a few days but well worth it.

12 Likes

Pass Labs gear is just plain good shtuff.

6 Likes