Mono Versions That Are Better Than Their Stereo Counterpart

So a lot of stereo versions of recordings released from 1957 to 196? are just not as good in my belief compared to mono versions. I don’t like a stereo version that essentially has no center stage with hard panned left and right channels. I apologize ahead of time but I was told by someone in this forum to get the Mono version of Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section over the stereo version. Greatly appreciate that recommendation. Was hoping folks could share mono versions that they believe are better than the stereo version.

My guess is most of these recommendation are going to be from 1957 to 1963. Thank you ahead of time for your recomendations.

4 Likes

On that I agree, even with a stereo cartridge.
In the early days, I think stereo was implemented as more of a “toy” to demonstrate “stereo”.
Another album that I prefer in mono is Coltrane’s “Blue Train”.

2 Likes

Not a difficult choice to make: the mono slays.

2 Likes

So I’d have to listen again … but if I recall - I thought kind of blue gave a more solid ‘real’ trumpet sound in mono. Anyone can confirm or deny that. I always find the trumpet to sound more ‘warbly’ - in stereo. Not sure how to say it.

That would have been me, and yes the mono slays the stereo version. I have come to the same conclusion, that many stereo jazz combo releases are nothing more than dual channel mono, and sound especially artificial. That said in a pinch I’m happy to have them versus none at all. To theses ears the Columbia recording studio early on was on the right track with the stereo sound. Once recording engineers solved the stereo imaging recording issue they jumped on the solid state band wagon. Too early IMO as preferring the lush and sometimes more realistic tube sound. Early solid state was a bit harsh and mechanical sounding.

1 Like

In CD format this is the one to get, a double CD SHM released in 2022. I have a clean 1974 mono press that is nice, and a stereo Four Men with Beards reissue that is fine, preferring the 1974 mono.

2 Likes

I’m generally more a stereo guy, although there are sensational mono rcordings (e.g. many of the SAM Records releases).

For me Kind of blue or Blue Train are still superior in stereo because the instruments are not right in the speakers but behind and some are mid orientated, as well as the scene sounding spacious as mono can’t do. However, KOB mono is great, too.

For me mono starts to be preferred here (if mastering quality is equal or better than the best stereo, which applies here):

1 Like

I hate to jump on the Coltrane train but the first time I heard Blue Train mono, probably around 2013, I was mesmerized by the drive.

I also really love the Miles Davis CD box set titled “The Original Mono Recordings.”

2 Likes

Thanks. I ordered the Mono CD since I don’t have a turntable with a mono cartridge.

2 Likes

Early Beach Boys’ mono LPs were miles better than Capitol’s faux-stereo efforts during that era. They amounted to not much more than reducing treble in one channel, boosting it in the other, and introducing a tiny bit of delay between them. Even the Beatles’ left and right hard-panning of instruments and voices was preferable.

2 Likes

Yeah, I also,enjoy the various mono versions once the stereo annoys a bit…but the horn chorus of the first track alone is so gorgeous in stereo…and quite mono in mono :wink:

Both are keepers, and those unfamiliar with that particular Miles box set will be well rewarded by obtaining it.