More than one digital cable from transport to dac?

I don’t think it’s that simple but I may be wrong. You can connect an I2S output to I2S input with an HDMI cable.

2 Likes

Ah, ok that makes more sense. Got excited for a minute that I might be able to take my HDMI output from my Oppo straight to a GainCell DAC.

Nope. I2S is a format that uses different physical cables. In the PS Audio version an HDMI cable is used. But it is not using an HDMI output, just using the cable. Some i2s versions use Ethernet cables…

1 Like

It’s my understanding that the ports of both devices must use the same pin assignments for the HDMI cable, and in PSA’s case, those pin assignments are not standard HDMI. So while they may use the same physical cable, the ports or jacks in the connected devices are not necessarily wired the same. You need to make sure the Oppo uses the same pin assignments as the SGCD. If the Oppo is designed to read DVDs and plug into a TV or an HT receiver, I’d say chances of it working successfully as an i2s source are not very good. I have a NuPrime CD transport that the company assured me used the same pin assignments as PSA on its HDMI port, and it works fine into the SGCD i2s port. But that device (and its HDMI port) was never designed for video playback.

One of the Oppo HDMI ports is marked ‘Audio Only’ but I have no idea how its really configured.

Plug it in and try it, or any other HDMI port it’s got. It’s not going to hurt anything. If it works, great, if it doesn’t, no harm done.

1 Like

It’s “Audio Only” but still shares the same pin-out. As configured stock the HDMI outputs of an Oppo will not send correct data to the DSD or Stellar GCDAC. No sound will be output by the DAC.

1 Like

It is unnecessary to try it. It’s a completely different output and it will not work. Why add hope when there is zero reason to do so. The Oppo HDMI outputs are not I2S outputs.

2 Likes

It will not pass DSD or work as an I2S output. If you are using an Oppo 203 or 103 you can get an I2S card and pass DSD to a Dac. I installed one on mine. The I2S card is available at Oppomod.com