Neodio Origine B2, another snake oil... or

A lovely name.

1 Like

I will not take your bait. Especially since I know you know better. You are far too intelligent for that. :wink:

1 Like

Mission impossible almost accomplished: Vince you are so close to the goal of having at least one coffee debate in every thread on this forum! Congrats! Chapeau!

1 Like

Dare I say, a sexy name!

1 Like

Vibration measurement and control (outside of audio playback) is a big industry and there are lots of tools to analyze and record data to show results.
Here’s a few examples of the lower end of the scale:

These tools will help you get factual real time data in your tests. :grin:

These widgets could be based on existing technology or they could also be a big 'ole bag od poo. Either way you will end up wiser for the experience.

2 Likes

Factual real time data??? :flushed: Hand in your audiophile credentials immediately, Vern! :joy:

2 Likes

Sometimes reality presents a problem that can effectively be dealt with using proven science. I know @luca.pelliccioli is up to the task at hand though! :grin:

I do think that component resonant frequencies may come into play with the quality of playback but I honestly dont think anyone has made a serious study of the how’s and why’s using industry standard methods and procedures.

Measuring the actual frequency and the results of applying standard audiophile vibration altering bits and bobs might be an interesting study.

But as we all know just because it measures “better” it might not sound “better”.
Individual tastes still prevail regardless of measurements.

Our biggest customer has a huge presence in vibration analysis and control in everything from locomotives to car seat headrests so we get a lot of insider info on that kind of stuff.

Their fanciest measuring equipment easily passes the cost of a high end stereo system.

6 Likes

What is intriguing me about this “Bordeaux glass” is not vibration, though. At least vibration in this case is the consequence of something that the B2 should take care as the cause originating it.
Last months I was surprised by passive solutions like the BlackBox and the SR little “buttons”.
So I want to deeper investigate this solution, said to act on water molecules (?) in the room and how they impact wave propagation through the air and on the surfaces. Let’s say I’m digging the rabbit hole with my own hands this time! We’ll probably have a good laugh together when I’ll send them back.

3 Likes

All good fun! You might be using a power shovel to dig the hole. :grin:

Water in the air (AKA humidity) does have a damping effect on sound propagation. If the air is more dense it naturally absorbs some of the energy from passing sound waves. But if these devices dont add water to the air then they are simply elastomeric mass loaded dampers which do have an effect on whatever they are placed on or under.

Does it matter? You will be the guinea pig on this subject.

The BB’s are just plain voodoo and I am staying far, far away from them.

1/4 mile drag racers are constantly tuning their engines based on humidity or “water grains” in the air as the water also displaces oxygen so more humidity needs less fuel to be the right mixture for max power.

Probably useless info here but it’s how my tilted brain works. :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Where did you end up with the SR Black Boxes?

Did you keep them?
How many?
Where are they placed?

Enquiring minds want to know (or at least I do). :slight_smile:

Ciao

1 Like

Thanks, it makes sense.

Since my room refurbishment I use only this to regulate the temperature:

Are you saying it could bring a difference in sound due to a change in the environment dryness? Never thought about that. Don’t want to open a new can of worms sorry.

2 Likes

The Black Box works, no doubts. I’m using a single piece and the results are so evident according to different positions.

On the left wall, between the speakers and the listening position, centered behind my new StressLess chair and centered between the speakers slightly forward the line between them… are my favorite places.

It can clean the bass, tighter and more articulate. It can enhance the low frequencies (if placed behind the chair where I have a null mode). But most of all it can make the voices more palpable, producing a sort of three dimensional effect where the depth of the image is more intense and realistic.

Other than in these positions in the room, it does nothing. Maybe this is the reason why some people don’t like it or find it useless.

I like also the SR funny buttons (Passive - Synergistic Research) but the real benefit here is IME inferior and mostly audible only on the front wall, where they help focusing the image (I use to stick one, the most important to create the desired illusion, exactly where the singer’s mouth is supposed to be on the soundstage).

2 Likes

I was forgetting to write: COFFEE!

Vince should appreciate that.

1 Like

You are reading my mind. I dated a beautiful Margaux a long time ago. She was remarkable in so many ways.

A youth!

1 Like

It’s 1:06 PM PST. I’m trying to decide if I need another.

Beck is on playing The Golden Age, windows and doors are open. Perhaps another is in order.

2 Likes

Oh wait, I forgot I have errands to run. Damnit.

That’s your next assignment:

Record the relative humidity in your room daily along with atmospheric pressure and report any difference in playback SQ that you hear. Then artificiality raise the humidity and see if you hear any difference. Then artificially lower it and see.

The report is due whenever you feel like it and the grade doesn’t count. :grin:

1 Like

You know I could take it seriously in consideration…

2 Likes

Resonance, it’s everywhere.

5 Likes

Fun article.

1 Like