New music that doesn't s**k

On it…!

On it…!

That’s the advantage of being retired… Lots of time for fun stuff… Serving my community… :rofl:

2 Likes

A few contributions:

Jane Monheit - it’s an angel voice, specially “over the rainbow”
John Smith - Hummingbird (album’s title song - sensational acoustic guitar)
Eric Church - desperate man (song The Snake - just fun)
Dominique Fils-Aime - just discovered her. The song “birds” is very, very good

1 Like

I like A Bad Think, came across an album from them in 5.1, “The Savior”
It’s got Steven Wilson vibes so if you’re into prog rock (which is undoubtedly the best music out there), I’d recommend.
Honestly it’s hard to find new high sound quality music, only Steven really does it, everyone else just remasters their old music.

2 Likes

I like them, thanks. They remind me of Queensryche

1 Like

Gonna revive this with one of my favorite recent bands:

Lake Street Dive, anything they’ve done so far is excellent and, that Rachael Price is just… ooooh laaaa laaaaa.

2 Likes

Not new music in the sense of genre or alternative originality but it is a new release – and an instant hit with me: “For Now” is the name of the Album. The artist(s) is/are Brian Landrus, Fred Hersch, Drew Gress & Billy Hart. It’s a Jazz quartet recording released in May of this year.

Hope you all enjoy it.

1 Like

Cueing them up now on Roon…

I’ll add Sudan Archives (have posted one or two here).
I’m also enjoying GreenTea Peng, although it’s a bit “female very lazy rap” it has a certain something.
On Sound-cloud unfortunately but sounds good.
DJ Downlow - Platinum-Backed Mongoose Music.

also if you can get it in USA - BBC 6 music does regular “introducing” shows (with Tom Robinson hosting!) on a Sunday night (UK time) prob available on iPlayer (may only be low res outside UK)
I have found a few there I like, and then found elsewhere for download / puchase / stream.

And the very wonderful Bandcamp also has lots of good (and bad) new and original stuff which they recommend and curate with humans, not algorithms :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice. Let me know what you think.

I’ve been digging Khruangbin lately.

2 Likes

Yes - easy to listen to music, and very nicely executed, very prolific in terms of output the last couple of years, and fun to watch on YouTube too :slight_smile:

Silly name of course, but then they are on record as stating if they had known the popularity they would gain they would have chosen a more easily pronounceable name :smiley:

1 Like

Also check out this album. I really love it. In Real Life (Live at Spacebomb Studios) Fruit Bats, Vetiver

See my “Now spinning” post re. the BBC’s Glastonbury coverage - Billie Eilish (at age 17) is really REALLY good.

1 Like

Need to spend some more time with their catalog but my first impression was that the group was very musical, if that makes sense, and Ms. Price is very talented, indeed. She reminds me of another vocalist, but the comparator escapes me for now. The answer is just below my conscious memory, it will come to me with more listening I am sure. Thanks for the recommendation – I am going to put the group in regular rotation for a while.

Do you have a favorite album of theirs you care to suggest?

Grooving on khruangbin as we speak. Nice.

2 Likes

Bad Self Portraits, if you are referring to Lake Street Dive.

2 Likes

Thank you, @RobH. Listening to the first cut as I write this response.

Scott

If you have a chance, check out LSD’s version of “I Want You Back”, shot on a street corner in Mass.