New owner of an Infinity IRS Reference Standard with a question

Hi all,

since last Saturday I am a new owner of an Infinity IRS Reference Standard (not V, but II). Previously, I already had an IRS beta, now joined by the Reference Standard.

Unfortunately, the speakers were already disassembled when I picked them up. The cables were not labeled, so we don´t know which speaker-cable must connected to which terminal from the MH-Panel.

This picture is taken from web as an example:

Do anybody here have any connection diagram for the MH-Panel speakers or can tell me where to get them? A picture from the terminals in the stands would be nice.

Best regards from Germany
Holger

PS: here are two pictures from today - my “new” IRS in front of my “old” IRS Beta. It´s looked like a mother with her two childen. :smiley:
This is not the finally room for the IRS, the new room will built in a few days.

5 Likes

Try to see here, there is someone who has that model of your speaker.

http://www.infinity-classics.de/models/IRS-series+Beta+Gamma-Delta-Sigma-Epsilon-1988-95-98/index-IRS.htm

Hi Michael,

Thank you, I know this group in Facebook.

The problem is solved. We measured the chassis and found out the correct wiring based on the crossover.

The first bump test went very well, the sound is great allthough the room is too small. I did not used the original SCU, the speaker management takes over a Trinnov Amethyst Pre-Amp.

Now we can build a new room for this great monument of American Loudspeaker Art

Without the scu, servo won’t work and you will get VERY bad bass…

I can not agree with you, sorry.

It´s correct, that the servo no longer works without the SCU. But the Trinnov Amethyst do everything better than the old SCU. You can determine the slope much better, the filters for the transitions between bass to midrange, the time adjustment between bass to midrange, the room optimizer etc.

The servo had been just an old technology to calm down the bass and to adapt it to the room. With modern DSPs and Loudspeaker Management Systems you have quite different possibilities to deal with the problems of the room and of the bass.

Measurements with REW show that the sound with the Trinnov without SCU is significantly better than without Trinnov calibration system and with SCU (especially the modes and the reverberation time in the bass). The measurements reproduce what you can hear: a clean, dry bass that perfectly matches to the midrange in terms of time and level.

I have heard some IRS Betas in Germany and always the bass was thick and queasy. None of the other Betas with SCU sounded so dry and timely correct in the bass as my Beta with the Trinnov.

Please excuse my poor technical English, I hope I can correctly reflect it to the foreign language.

2 Likes

I understand what you’re saying, I’m a big fan of DSP myself. Currently use Dirac and have also used Trinnov in the past…
BUT, servo and DSP are two different things. Servo corrects the woofer, DSP corrects for the room. When servo is used, you get much lower distortion. Start with that. Then apply DSP/Trinnov.
I think Paul would agree with me totally on this, hope he can comment…:slightly_smiling_face: