New PS Audio speakers?

Paul,
Animation is awesome. Geez - thanks for putting in so much knowledge and competent design.

I notice they sit off the plinths. Is there a bottom vent? And given the benefits of vibration isolation - have you engineered that into the standoffs?

Thanks
Dan

There’s no port as they are sealed. The stand is there as a decoupling from the floor but mostly as an aesthetic touch to help make a beast appear slender and svelte.

Speaker High Heels. :grin:

That’s peak power and yes, you’ll need a 20 amp circuit to take full advantage of its capabilities. Peaks should be short enough to not kick a 20 amp breaker.

Paul, any ball park idea on the cost of these bad boys? My guess is 50K

So these will be side firing woofers on all the models?

As of this writing yes, all models. We will have to adjust the phase angles, of course, so they reach your ears at the same time as a front firing woofer would be.

so you need opposing woofers in all models, so asymmetric movement doesn’t lead to speaker movement?

1 Like

Paul, I thought you posted that side fire woofers were not the most ideal? IMO a speaker 14" or 15" wide is very acceptable. Also if someone is building a system of this caliber the room maybe sorta dedicated. I know that’s not for everyone. But are you looking to build these for everyone? Or will the everyone speakers come out later as the Stellar series? Maybe I am off base or missed something?

Not looking to piss anyone off, just puzzled by the newest pic

Let’s keep Paul on the side firing track…otherwise we will only get one 12" in each model. So yes to side firing from me…!

1 Like

Are there any plans for a grill cover?

FWIW, the Vivid Giya line has symmetrical side firing woofers and based on my (admittedly limited) evaluation of the top dogs, they represent the state of the art in speaker design. I am hoping the new PS audio speaker can deliver similar or better performance for half the price…

I would not be too hung up on woofer size though. You can get phenomenal bass response from 12" and even smaller woofers. Size does not matter that much in my experience.

1 Like

The KEF “Blades” also come to mind, in this case a narrow enclosure to mimic a point (as opposed to a line) source.
https://www.kefdirect.com/speakers/flagship-hi-fi-speakers/blade.html

I’ve yet to actually hear a pair of the blades in a proper setup, but I’ve heard good things about them from multiple sources.

Also Amphion’s Krypton3. https://amphion.fi/enjoy/products-home-audio/krypton-floorstanding-loudspeaker/
Our own Bill Leebens mentioned this morning over coffee these are one of the best speakers he’s ever heard.

He must have not heard Paul’s and Arnie’s speakers. :rofl:

I heard these demonstrated at the RMAF the year before last (I think). It was one of the better sounding rooms. The mids and highs sounded maybe just a smidge veiled but, y’know, show conditions . . .

I put my hand on the enclosures during some pretty substantial bass passages and could not perceive ANY vibration. Most remarkable and impressive. Very solidly built.

Yes, but we’re thinking minimalist. Perhaps strings like you see on the old Krell speakers, Gryphon and Sonus Fabers. Still experimenting.

He has not. No one at the office has except Darren in engineering and I. We will be dusting Arnie’s reference speakers off in the next few weeks and get them ready for possible inclusion as our speakers at RMAF. It’s just an idea right now, but perhaps we make the effort for this one time showing of the speakers. They are cobbled together with bailing wire and chewing gum so it’s difficult but might be worth the work for people to get a listen to these magnificent speakers.

4 Likes

Hi Paul,

The strings would be wonderful. I have the Krell speakers you speak of and think they look great.

Thanks,

Bob

I agree with the previous post and think that front firing woofers are just fine with me especially on the AN-3 which is the model that appeals to me. I also wanted to add that I hope the speakers don’t get too modern looking since our interior is all antiques. Some speakers are just over the top in their design with very narrow visual appeal. Right now our system is composed of all PS audio gear including a Perfect Wave Transport, Stellar Gain Cell DAC, Stellar S300 amp and a P12 regenerator. All of the cables are by AntiCable. The speakers are Vandersteen 2CE signature II’s. I am hoping to replace the Vandersteen’s with the new AN-3’s when they come out as long as they look good in our home.
The Vandersteen’s look fine with our antique furniture and they are almost 16" wide! I was interested in the choice of side panels for the speakers and would appreciate something like dark walnut as a choice. The illustration that I saw of the AN-3’s looked great!