New System - Need a "Do No Harm" Power Device

If you know you want to get to a Power Plant eventually, spend as little as possible now, and save your $. Get a simple power strip or two and keep your eye on the prize! Even if you are using a single duplex outlet, by putting the high current draw component (power amp) directly to the outlet or on its own strip and the low current components on a dedicated strip you will overcome most of the problems associated with power strips.

None of your components are terribly high draw, so current should not be a problem unless you listen at high volumes. If you cannot be patient and you need to do something now, try to find a used Adcom AC-515 or similar device from Panamax, Monster or other reputable company.

I know I am rambling a bit… sorry.

Hello. I am trying to get a clearer idea about the basic premise of this unit. Would you say/know if it is a kin to the old Balanced Power Technology (a/k/a BPT) power conditioners?

Cheers.

Not familiar with the Balanced Power Technology product. All I know about the Core Power Technologies unit is what I’ve read online. Lots of positive reviews, plus the unit is priced right, and looks great.

Underwood has it on sale now, but the only drawback is at his prices, he doesn’t offer any refunds, unless the product is defective. I would also like to learn more about it, and hear from other users, before purchasing.

Thanks…

hlg3, this is what I’ve decided to do after reading many of the forums here and doing research online. I’d really like to have the stellar power plant to go with my other stellar components. Long term, I’ll end up with the system I actually want this way. I think I’ll work towards that and make it a goal. Thanks for the encouragement.

I would not say PS Audio has a Monopoly on power conditioning. There are many good power conditioners. It depends on what sounds best to you. It may or may not be PS Audio. The Power Plants are certainly very good. I have found others I like as much or more. Of course most of them do not employ active technology. Panamax, Monster ETC are not in this league. In that case get a Furman power strip. Same company owns Panamax and Furman. Although the Furman units are much better. Still not my choice though. There are too many to list I feel will do the job to most peoples satisfaction. However be prepared to spend between $5K and $20K for one. Things are priced accordingly. A $800 unit is not going to be very good. In fact the Furman power strip may be better. One interesting option once discussed here is an Eaton 9PX, As low as $800. It does something very similar to the PP units but with batteries that must be replaced. People argued about it’s noise floor. It is not true. The 9PX units are very similar to a PP unit. Eventually you will spend on batteries that you could have had a PP though. Although for the price other options cannot beat it. A used one is dirt cheap. So maybe get that until you can get a PP. I will tell you computing equipment is much more sensitive than stereo’s. It is the choice of the US Government. I would say to a PP if you get one used for $300 it is a tossup. The PP is better because of all the settings but the 9PX will still give it a run, especially for the money. Other than that the Niagra 7000, top Shunyata combo and Torus are certainly viable options. Unless your amps are huge you would be surprised how little current your system actually draws.

It is a simple isolation transformer that will offer you line isolation and a little bit of cleaning. Many people like line isolation transformers. I don’t happen to be a fan of them since they do the opposite of what a Power Plant does, but they are certainly
better than doing nothing for small sources gear and preamps. I would not recommend them for power amplifiers.

2 Likes

Thanks, Paul. Cleaning up the “feed” to source components is exactly what I was thinking about with regard to this particular black box. :slight_smile:

Cheers.

I would recommend the Furman IT-REF20I.

https://www.furmanpower.com/product/discrete-symmetrical-power-filter-20-amp-IT-REF%2020I

I picked up two on the used market for ~$1500/ea to replace the P20s in my system when I couldn’t get the P20s to play nicely with my gear. I have found the Furman to be an excellent alternative to the P20. The Furman offers low output impedance and over 9 amps continuous power reserve (80a peak) for when your amps need that instantaneous power.

Furman is fine. Panamax may not be up to our standards but not too bad. Not too good either. Just mentioning because they are the same company. I do not mind my P20’s buzzing downstairs but not in bedroom. P3 is too small. P12 is kind of expensive but not the issue here. The issue is I would have to 100% block the vents. I take it that is no good? I might get a Furman too. See, the Torus does not have enough outlets for me. Using Dectet out of it is stupid IMO. Otherwise the Torus sounds at least as good as the P20’s to me but a different system. Can’t really tell for sure but it did make improvements.

That’ll do what you want though be aware you’re losing some fidelity by raising the AC output impedance. It’s a trade off. Better in one area, worse in another. I am sure plenty find the trade valuable.

Did you also get the Core Technologies power cord that was being offered at a great price, if you purchased the 1800? Thinking about buying that power cord for my new preamp that’s been ordered.

Gary

I’ve had my 1800 since last February when Mark still owned the company. The “upgraded” power cord that came with the unit at that time is readily available on Amazon for $59 from WAudio. I don’t know what the cord is Walter is selling with the unit now. This is the cord that came with my unit.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t believe that is the same cord Walter is currently offering with the 1800. I had him send me a pic of the cord he normally sells for $299, but offers it for $200 if you purchase any equipment from him.

Cable%20picture

I’ve seen a similar cord before on another forum with the Accuphase brand name on it even though Accuphase has never sold a power cable. Probably comes from the same factory as the other one. Walter is the one that told me the origin of the one Mark was selling. The guy who owned it loved it. I think he bought it from Ali Express.

I recently went from a regenerator to Shunyata Venom and EF cables, these products seem to have different effectiveness with different components and some people will have better mains power than others. I have rock steady 240v and a main component indifferent to voltage anyway. Its a big investment was only made after a store and home demo. Venom has 8 sockets in USA, 6 in UK, 7 in EU, my regenerator had 4.

This is a compelling demonstration:

1 Like

I had an old Shunyata high current, pre “NR” cable powering my DMP. I truly heard no difference with the DMP from any other pc that I tried.
Just recently I switched to the new 12 gauge “Venom NR” cable and the improvement was immediately obvious. Apparently, with the DMP, it’s not about current delivery but rather noise free delivery.

The demonstration seems compelling for the Shunyata, but without demonstrating any other high end power cord there’s no way of telling if the other cords would perform the same or worse (can’t really perform better since the meter reading was essentially zero). Also, not really sure what the meter is reading. Sounded like the generic cord was picking up a radio station, is he close to a transmitter? Not doubting the Shunyata, but I have questions!