Notice: DirectStream and MACs

Hi JJ,

I don’t think there is a basic “how to” for foobar2000. Wish there were. JP and I tried (apparently without success) to help another poster get going on foobar at this thread: http://www.psaudio.com/forum/pwd-topics/trouble-with-pwd-dac-mkii-bridge/

As explained there, the add-ons are basically the two components that start with UPnP (I’m not sure you need the one to create the UPnP server but it doesn’t hurt). If you’re using an iDevice I recommend monkeymote4foobar. Download it on the App Store (costs a couple bucks), then go to their webpage to get the component to install in foobar (they explain all this). In preferences, be sure to select the PWD in the output section (it still shows PWD for the DS) and 24 bit. Other settings I used are in the thread above. Let us know how it works out and if you find you need other settings we didn’t discuss. There was some trial and error on my part, and probably a lot of dumb luck, but I got it going pretty quickly.

Ah yes, the stumble your way thru the installation and setup - learning curve approach, for a ‘fully immersive’ computing experience. 4_gif

And the ‘sweetner’ for this deal really are the ancillary apps, the CD ripper and the track - file - bit cleaner.

So i guess the next step is to find a suitable laptop…

Thanks for the insights into the ‘process’!

JJ

gordon said I think we need a "removing all my hair" emoticon.
@gordon - Here ya go: http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/angry/pulling-hair.gif

Love. Need to get it added to the smiley list here.

stevem2 said Love. Need to get it added to the smiley list here.
@stevem2 - Will one of these do?

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hearts/goofy-heart.gif http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/valentine/circle-of-hearts-smiley-emoticon.gif http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hearts/big-beating-heart.gif

circle-of-hearts-smiley-emoticon_gifgoofy-heart_gif added. Thanks.

Thanks SF and Paul but that was a typo on my part. I meant to say “love it”, referring to SF’s hair-pulling emoticon. So thanks for that one too.

dvorak said A different line of thought, for consideration by Paul and Ted...

I’m glad to hear that you’re working on something for 352.8kHz PCM handling in the DS. Not because I have any DXD tracks to play, rather just because the idea of a DAC advertising a supported rate and then not responding gracefully to it is a bit… graceless. If you have any trouble getting that code working and sounding good, here’s an alternative suggestion: detect it, mute your output, and display a message on screen asking the user to limit PCM input to 192.

Separately, on the USB hardware volume control issue as raised by the BitPerfect guys in their review of the DS: please either implement it (yay!) or stop the XMOS chip from advertising it (OK).

I know that sounds demanding from somebody who hasn’t even bought your stuff yet! :) I am really hoping to have a listen to a DS as soon as possible and expect that shortly afterwards I’ll be desperately figuring out how to obtain one for myself without ruining my marriage. Wish me luck.

@Ted;

I understand that some of this is done, tested and ready for deployment.

Will these remedies be part of the release notes for the upcoming beta release?

@Paul:

How is the alpha testing progressing?

Any scheduled date for the beta distribution?

Frode said

@Ted;

I understand that some of this is done, tested and ready for deployment.

Will these remedies be part of the release notes for the upcoming beta release?

@Paul:

How is the alpha testing progressing?

Any scheduled date for the beta distribution?

The thing about testing releases is that some included items may be too risky/buggy to be in the next release. Conversely some things are essentially freebees but still, without thorough testing, could be a problem for some systems.

I’m pretty comfortable that 352.8kHz PCM (DXD) will be in the next FPGA release. That should help the most common confusion problems for MAC users.

On the other hand I know there are some things that aren’t going to make it out soon that we’d all like to see.

I don’t really have any idea how “risky” any given UI change may turn out to be. For argument’s sake something could go wrong with displaying 352.8kHz :)

We have some goals, but exposing them widely out can only cause grief for all involved.

Some things (like UI experiments) may come or go. This is just an example, there are no hints buried in this paragraph.

When someone (except Paul :) ) drops a hint you’ll know it.

Paul just gets too excited for our own good sometimes :)

Ted Smith said
Paul just gets too excited for our own good sometimes :)
You can say that again, but I clearly prefer this compared to silence.

You just have to know that nothing is written in stone, especially not the enthusiastic stuff.

The real problem is that at, our age, we are rapidly approaching the time where diapers may be required if we get too excited.

Ted, can you write a firmware for that?

firmwear and diapers just don’t go together for me.

gordon said The real problem is that at, our age, we are rapidly approaching the time where diapers may be required if we get too excited.

Ted, can you write a firmware for that?

Gordon,

Sadly so, but probably hearing aids will be needed before diapers

Ted,

Maybe you can work on a project like that so those of us aging Baby Boomers can continue to enjoy our DirectStream DACs? Ok?

Has anyone Listened to or Used Channel D's PureMusic?

Well this is way off topic and I may start a new one, but I am am toying with the idea of doing crossovers (and DSP) to multiple dac’s in order to bi, tri or quad amp. There are multi channel DAC’s out there, but it’s also possible to use several dacs simultaneously, using OSX’s AudioMidi setup and setting up the Agregate device. It’s used mostly by studios on AtoD’s but it works on Dacs. A Killer feature for DS would be the ability to synch two DS’s or a DS and PWD. The drawbacks are that DSP and crossover functions work only with USB (have to give up the bridge) and only in PCM so I’d have to give up streaming true DSD. So far good DSD files are a noticeable upgrade, and I now have to listen to hear how much of a sonic penalty there is transcoding DSD to PCM. From another post I read on the topic, one poster said they heard the increased transparency of having no external crossovers, either analog or digital (and digital requires A to D back to A).

stevem2 said Thanks SF and Paul but that was a typo on my part. I meant to say "love it", referring to SF's hair-pulling emoticon. So thanks for that one too.

That’s actually what I figured, but what the heck. No problem spreading a little love, eh?

Boy, I am taking a good beating here in the forums. cry

I just figured you’d all want to know something’s coming down the pike. 105_gif

We haven’t any firm date for it yet, but we will. I am waiting for the final versions from Ted so we can do our testing, send it to the Beta Boys and then release. It won’t be any time too soon. Takes a while.

Does the Directstream’s USB input require power from the computer?

I’ve been using a NAD M51 with a good quality USB cable where only the data leg of the cable is connected between Mac and DAC. This works because the NAD’s USB input requires no power from the mac.

Will this cable work with the Directstream?

alcarp said Does the Directstream's USB input require power from the computer?

I’ve been using a NAD M51 with a good quality USB cable where only the data leg of the cable is connected between Mac and DAC. This works because the NAD’s USB input requires no power from the mac.

The DS provides power to the USB processor. I don’t know what may stop working if the 5V isn’t connected, but it’s worth a try - you won’t hurt anything.

Ted Smith said

The DS provides power to the USB processor. I don’t know what may stop working if the 5V isn’t connected, but it’s worth a try - you won’t hurt anything.

Ok. tried with just the data leg of the USB cable connected between Mac and DAC. No sound. The Mac doesn’t see the DAC in Audio midi.

Odd thing is it still doesn’t work even when I connect the power leg to a 5V battery.

Went back to the cheap standard printer cable and everything works fine.

Do I need to power down the DAC maybe before switching USB cables?

alcarp said
Ted Smith said

Ok. tried with just the data leg of the USB cable connected between Mac and DAC. No sound. The Mac doesn’t see the DAC in Audio midi.

Odd thing is it still doesn’t work even when I connect the power leg to a 5V battery.

Went back to the cheap standard printer cable and everything works fine.

Do I need to power down the DAC maybe before switching USB cables?

Answered my own question. Tried powering down the DAC and initiallizing. Same result. No sound. With or without powering the 5V power leg.

Either this DAC needs power at the USB input or it doesn’t. This needs to be fixed in a future firmware update?

Supposedly, it doesn’t take power from the computer at the USB input yet it seems to need it. So I get all the common mode noise etc from the computer even when the USB input supposedly needs no power from the Mac?