NuWave DSD Released

Learn about it here.

Paul’s Post announcing it here.

Saw PP yesterday and emailed the link directly to me friend. He’s been looking for something right in this price range that has the promise of offering the same sort of quality sound (for the price) as the DS.

Paul, are there beta testers out there for this new baby?

Of course the NuWave DSD is NOT a DirectStream, it couldn’t be, but it has many of the same musical qualities as any excellent DAC would. And it IS and excellent DAC and we’re very proud and excited for its release.

No, we did not do an official beta test on it. The testing we did was a small sample, perhaps 10 or so and they went to a closed group for review. Fortunately, at this time, we have enough confidence in the build of this type of product to get it out without an extensive public beta. But thanks. If you steer your friend towards it, he won’t be disappointed - it is really good.

One thing I noticed is that the specs say it handles double rate DSD but most inputs are limited to 192/24. I assume that means double rate DSD is limited to the I2S input? Does that input also handle 352/24? Just curious. My only I2S source at this point is the NPC and that’s staying in the main system with the DS.

It does handle double rate DSD, as well as single, but DSD only through I2S and USB.

Thanks Paul. What’s puzzling me is that the specifications list USB as only handling up to 192/24 PCM, which is good enough for single rate DSD (i.e., DoP files that look like 176/24 PCM) but not double rate DSD. Is the USB PCM specification incorrect or is there something unusual going on in the DAC chip (e.g., it’s limited to 192/24 PCM but still handles DSD128), or something else?

Hello,

will the Nuwave DSD have Asio Driver for OSX, Linux and Windows 10 for supporting native DSD through USB ?

Is DSD256 possible by Driver and Firmware updates?

Support the Nuwave DSD the HQplayer?

Best Regards

Wolfgangt

Hi Steve,

Yes, it is a little confusing. The USB will show 352.8KHz as an available sample rate and this can be used for delivering double rate DSD in DoP form. The USB chip decodes the DoP and outputs raw DSD to the DAC chip. However the DAC chip will not be able to handle 352.8KHz PCM data, the highest PCM sample rate is 192KHz. Hopefully this clears things up.

Bob

Thanks very much Bob. That’s perfectly clear. Looks like you’ve design an outstanding DAC for a very reasonable price. Congratulations!

wolfgangt said Hello,

will the Nuwave DSD have Asio Driver for OSX, Linux and Windows 10 for supporting native DSD through USB ?

Is DSD256 possible by Driver and Firmware updates?

Support the Nuwave DSD the HQplayer?

Best Regards

Wolfgangt

The NuWave DSD uses the same driver for USB as the DirectStream does.

any idea when will it be available in Singapore ?

No, but give it a little time. We’re just not beginning to ship. I am guessing it will start popping up in the world in August. The first shipments have left already and I know Hong Kong got many - but they went by ocean.

Hoping it’s reviewed very soon. Would be good to read a review by Richard/BitPerfect.

Anyone try playing DSD files via jRiver to the NuWave DAC, I have tried two different methods in options with no luck. Any ideas?

Yes, successfully too. See my post here: http://www.psaudio.com/forum/latest-ps-audio-news/nuwave-dsd-dac-playing-dsf-files-via-jriver-media-center-20-on-mac/

Just make sure the JR MC250 software volume is at 100% when playing DSD files. Otherwise no output was what I experienced. Made me think it wasn’t working. nerd_gif

JR MC250? It should read MC20. Sorry! sad_gif