NuWave Phono Converter

Audacity recording capability has been restricted to 16 bits for years, but it does edit 24 bit fine. Another quirk is it imports 24 bit files at 32 bit - no harm done, but odd.

For an affordable Windows product I suggest Goldwave. It includes some basic noise reduction tools which may also be ofinterest to those transferring vinyl. It supports DirectX plug-ins as well.

Unit #16 in beautiful black arrived yesterday. Setup was incredibly easy and intuitive and it sounds great. It was fun to see that the level of gain that sounded right also matched my cartridge output. I really like the green display and the logical layout of the controls. It’s nice that the unit weighs as much as it does as the AC-12 power cable doesn’t drag it off the shelf like it did with my Whest PS.20. I don’t have the I2S or USB connections hooked up yet and I haven’t had time to do any head to head comparisons of anything yet, but so far I’m very happy with this purchase.

-Pb

=P~ mine should be tomorrow [-O<

My NuWave Phono Converter arrived today.

I hooked it up to the PerfectWave DAC/II (with 2.4.1 firmware) by I2S connection.

The phono input from my Linn turntable sounded very good but not as good as my Vacuum State JLTI phono preamp (with upgraded power supply).

I have tried many phono preamps and none have sounded better than the JLTI (even several Stereophile Class-A recommendations). Thus I am not surprised that the NuWave Phono Converter did not win out.

I then attached the JLTI phono preamp to the analogue input on NuWave Phono Converter.

This when things started to sound “Great”.

I still not sure what digital output settings I should be using on theNuWave Phono Converter.

I will also try the phono input again on theNuWave Phono Converter after a 100 hours of burn-in.

Yes, thanks, let us know. What did you like better about the JLTI phono than ours? Hopefully you’re running on a Power Plant and have a good power cord. The NPC is very sensitive to power cords.

I would start at 96kHz/24 bits to evaluate the digital output.

JLTI has always provided the most 3d like sound with the slowest note decay than the other preamps I have tried in the past.

Using the analogue inputs of the NuWave Phono Converter seems to take the JLTI to another level.

The NuWave Phono Converter phono section may be the best I have heard and only second to the JLTI in my system.

I am using a PS Audio Mini Lab connected to an Ayre L-5xe : line filter.

NPC arrived safe and sound and is playing as I type. Its too new/cold/jetlagged to make any serious comparisons but it sounds great fresh out of the box.

Running it through the PWD is really cool.

As Paul always says, “There’s no preamp like a PWD” :smiley:

pl45k@yahoo.com said: Using the analogue inputs of the NuWave Phono Converter seems to take the JLTI to another level.

You are running the JLTI output through the analog side of the NuWave and this sounds better than the JLTI alone? This is very interesting.

In what ways is the sound improved listening in this fashion?

A crisper sound with the NuWave Phono Converter, as a result I have eliminated my Parasound JC-2 Preamp from my set up.

The Parasound JC-2 is up for sale.

The JC-2 offered a mellow laid back sound and it was very tempted to keep it (but it meant having an extra remote and it was Silver when I preferred Black). It was a very close call and I can save a little money by selling the JC-2 and keeping the NuWave Phono Converter.

As we speak I using again, the NuWave Phono Converter as a phono preamp (now that it has a few hours of break-in). There are some attributes of the NuWave Phono Converter that I prefer over the JLTI (lower background noise, more resistant to picking up a local radio station in the background).

I am using Grado Statement Series Reference 1 Low output phono cartridge (which accounts for picking up a local radio station in the background). The Grado is unshielded.

Got it! I missed that you took out the Parasound.

The JC-2 is a nice piece of kit. That you prefer the NuWave as a preamp is high praise.

NPC arrived today. Setup was a snap. Early impressions are quite favorable. It seemed to be easier to separate individual instruments. Running 96/24 into my PWD I would not swear that I could tell the difference from pure analog (based on very limited testing). Can’t wait for it to burn in.

After a couple of days of break-in the sound coming from the Phono input of the NPC is now an equal rival to my JLTI preamp (see previous posts).

It will be interesting to compare the two after a few weeks of break-in for the NPC.

Initial impressions of the NPC are very good, but no serious auditioning yet. I’m pumping 100 hours of pink noise through the unit before really sitting down with it, but this is shaping up to be a fantastic kit. B-)

Nice guys! Impressed that we could equal the JLTI. It must be awfully good.

I’ll listen more critically after breakin, but I can say this right now: I hooked up the NPC last night, let it warm up for an hour, and played the same LP I listened to right before disconnecting my Simaudio Moon LP5.3 with external power supply. The NPC retrieved considerable detail that I did not hear with the Simaudio, and the overall presentation was very nice. So far so good! The Moon 5.3 with PS cost a little more than the NPC, got great reviews, and I could never find anything specific to criticize about it; but it never made LPs sound as involving as I have heard them at times. We’ll see how the NPC does in that department. Setup was smooth and the solid build was what I expected from PSA :slight_smile: .

One small issue: I removed the lower cardboard insert, with the NPC held on with plastic, from the box. I wasn’t sure whether one was supposed to slide the NPC out from below the plastic, keeping the plastic intact, or disconnect the plastic from the cardboard. Maybe there is more flexibility in the plastic than I realized, and I didn’t have anyone at home to help maneuver the thing, so I disconnected the plastic. But that would make it difficult to ship for repairs (hopefully never needed!).

One small issue: I removed the lower cardboard insert, with the NPC held on with plastic, from the box. I wasn't sure whether one was supposed to slide the NPC out from below the plastic, keeping the plastic intact, or disconnect the plastic from the cardboard.

Sorry to hear you had a problem. The plastic is held in tension by the cardboard folded beneath. Just lift the flaps under the unit up to release it. I really like PS Audio's recent packaging: simple and efficient. Fancy bags and custom foam inserts are cool, but I'd rather spend my money on what the packaging holds. This box will also be easy to breakdown and store without using up a lot of space.

-Pb

Peanut Butter said: Just lift the flaps under the unit up to release it.

In retrospect, how obvious. And it is a clever and efficient system. But I had never seen anything like it. The fact that I even took a couple of minutes to try to figure it out rather than just ripping off the plastic, when face to face with a new audio toy, actually says quite a bit about my self-control :) . I'm lucky that I have an attic, so storing boxes is not a problem.

PSA packaging has been quite neat for a while. Very efficient and effective.

NPC is now in the house!!! It’s 10:30 now, and although I have a big meeting first thing in the morning, the kid In me had to hook it up and play with it, and I’ll will probably be spinning vinyl into the morning.

Have it running into the PWD MKii via a PSA AC12 HDMI into I2s 1. Right now its set at 196/24 but i’ll play with that over the next few days. This is replacing a GCPH and needs some burn in time before I really run it through some paces but I really like what I’m hearing so far!

T

Thanks! Make sure you try 96kHz/24 as well. I prefer this to 192kHz. I know the immediate reaction is to go to the highest level first, but i think you may find a better sound by going a bit lower. Let us know.