Something unusual happened with my network recently (unusual at least in my decidedly lay-person’s experience). After months of working flawlessly, one day the Aurender Conductor app on my iPad lost connection with the Aurender streamer, and it couldn’t be restored by any of the usual means. The network was up and running fine. I rebooted the iPad, made sure its wifi connection to the network was good, as was Bluetooth. The even though the streamer itself appeared to be connected to the network just fine, I rebooted it, just for giggles. When it came back up and I confirmed it was on the network, I had the Conductor app search for it. It couldn’t find it. I knew the streamer’s IP address, so I tried to recreate the connection in Conductor manually by entering all the necessary unit identification info for the streamer, including its IP address. The app said the IP address was invalid, so no connection made.
That was frustrating enough, but two things added an element of mystery: 1) the streamer could be operated fine from its minimal front-panel controls, so it was on the network and was able to play music; and 2) even stranger, the Conductor Lite app on my iPhone connected to it without any problem, showing the streamer at its usual IP address, and I was able to control it from that device. Apparently only the iPad app was unable to find the streamer.
I emailed Aurender for help, and they said after all the other troubleshooting stuff I’d already tried, the only fix they could think of was to reboot my modem/router. I figured what the hell, and gave it a shot, even though it’s a minor pain and takes several minutes to complete (and I had to make sure my wife wasn’t watching or recording anything on TV). After everything was back up and running, I opened the app on the iPad, and sure enough, it connected to the streamer just fine, with the streamer at the same IP address it’s always used, and which the app had previously told me was invalid.
When I told Aurender support that it worked, though I couldn’t understand why, all they could tell me was that the iPad’s IP address had probably expired, and the router didn’t renew its lease, and that rebooting the network side of it would refresh all those settings (I don’t know squat about networks, but it seems to me if the problem was with the iPad’s IP address, the iPad would have no network functionality at all, but that wasn’t the case - I could open browser windows, email, social media, you name it). They said I could also go into the iPad’s settings and reset all of its network settings, which would do the same thing, but doing that would also remove any stored wifi passwords and previously established Bluetooth connections.
OK, I thought, if you say so, and it works. It’s happened two more times since then, and each time I’ve been able to restore connectivity with another router reboot. But something in the system has changed, or something affecting the system has happened. This never used to take place, and now it’s seemingly a semi-regular occurrence. Since it only seems to happen to the iPad, I’m wondering if it’s time to replace it. I think it’s only one generation old, maybe two at the very most, and it has no problems with anything else I do on the network (though now that I think of it, I seem to recall at that same time its BluOS app had some problems connecting to the Node I haven’t taken out of the system yet).
So I guess I’m not really looking for a solution, at least nothing other than opinions on whether a newer iPad might keep this from happening repeatedly. I mainly just thought the network mavens here might find the story interesting, and it relating it here might prompt some comments that could be useful.