Hard Wire network solved all Bridge Issues

As many of you know, I posted last week that I was unable to use MOST of the UpnP and DLNA apps on my I Pad with my DAC/ Bridge.Upon taking the advise of the main man at PSA, I simplified things in order to trouble-shoot both an IP issue as well as an AP issue.

I kept the power-line ethernet jack installed, because my internet access was still at the other end of my home. It wasn’t realistic to run a long cable from the Router to my Directstream DAC/Bridge. I removed my Apple Airport Extreme router from my system. Apple networks default to the 10.0.1.X IPs. The Bridge does not like that IP range.

When I connected directly to the FIOS Actiontec router, it distributes an address in the range of 198.168.1.XXX. When I refreshed my Bridge within this range, the Bridge immediately started functioning properly. ALL of the I Pad apps, also showed the Directstream DAC as a choice, as a play-thru device. This did not work previously.

Thanks to G, Paul Alex and everyone else at PSA for their extensive and tireless support. They all communicated with me everyday until my problem was totally resolved. I am a brand new, first time client. Needless to say, I am very impressed by their service. Most importantly, the sound that comes out of the Directstream box, is unlike anything I have ever heard in digital audio. From Redbook CDs to DSD files, NAS boxes, to my IMAC music,they ALL sound better. This weekend I will be putting ALL Of my other digital players for sale. There is no need for them.

Mike Siegel

New Jersey,USA

Thanks for posting, very interesting.

Apple certainly does like being different.

Great news Mike. Now sit back and enjoy the music!

Thanks Mike and appreciate the update. Nice to know we can do something right now and again. :)

‘Apple networks default to the 10.0.1.X IPs. The Bridge does not like that IP range.’

Strange, My AE uses this address with very few problems.

MIKE

I also believe that the “1-.0 range” was not an issue. It looks like 2 different ranges 192.1678 and 10.0 [being different] were unable to communicate.

As mentioned previously, the bridge web page is the easiest way to set the Bridge ip on the same page as your router.

Also, as earlier mentioned, your fios modem/router does not expect to see another router in it’s IP range.

There is a way to set the Extreme as a “bridge” meaning it extends the same range as the Fios, and then all should work well.

The links below should help.

If the present set up is working and not inconvenient then it is a simple way to “Enjoy the Music”.

Have fun.

G

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2809036

https://gigaom.com/2010/03/03/how-to-setup-an-airport-extreme-in-bridge-mode/

I have FIOS and an Airport Extreme set to bridged mode; no problems.

gordon said MIKE It looks like 2 different ranges 192.1678 and 10.0 [being different] were unable to communicate.

You are right Gordon, all need to be in the same range to comunicate. I have 2 networks in my home with 2 diferant range of ip and they can’t see each other.

magister said I have FIOS and an Airport Extreme set to bridged mode; no problems.
Same here. So the fios modem/router is assigning the addresses.