Oldest Primary Component(s)?

I have an MC2205 from the 70s in the bedroom.

1 Like

That is a beautiful analog front end.

But soon to be upgraded to MKII. At least, that’s what the whisper said.

1 Like

My oldest component still in active rotation is a 1980’s B&O Beogram 4004; however, it is running a Kiseki Purple Heart cartridge,

Original Advents I bought in 1970 along with a Dual 1219 table. I inherited a Heathkit tube amp to complete the set. I went back and forth between the Advents and JBLs and everyone at that time was familiar with having to choose between the “New England” sound and the “California” sound. I went with the acoustic suspension.

Garrard 301 and SME 3012, both about late 1950s.

2 Likes

In my main system my oldest piece is my P20. It could be three years old. Ima git rid o it 4 a reel guud pwr strip.

6 Likes

Pioneer PL707 turntable from 1984. Everything else is less than a year old.

1 Like

CAD808
Cary Rocket 88
Circa 2000

4 Likes

What is she driving? 20 class A watts in triode, correct?

Best,
-JP

I utilize a pair of MacIntosh C-20 preamps in my system. They have become “Good ol’ buddies”. Both are the middle models, with single glass faceplate and brass trim, circa 1959 -1961. I bought them in the early 70s. In 2012, both units were sent to Cornell Smith at Audio Doctor for refurbishment and cap upgrades. In 2015 the units were send to Don Sachs for further improvements. At last measurement, the S/N specs were improved to -10 db better than the original S/N spec.
I use them in a four channel system. Both the front and the rear channels are powered by Bryston 4BST2 amps. The C-20 preamps are used as line-stage controllers, right before each amp. They allow me to control the volume and balance of front and rear channels individually. They also added that nice tube sound to my system - this was way before the term “tube buffer”, came into use.
Also, from the late 1970s/ early 1980s, I utilize a Sony 333es Equlizer, a DBX 3BX (recently had the caps upgraded), and a Sansui QSD-1 four channel synthesizer (also a recent cap upgrade).
Everything else is fairly new.

3 Likes

Mostly ZU Audio Soul Supremes, but occasionally Wilson Sabrina X.
It’s 20 watts triode but 40 watts in ultralinear. I always listen in triode, even with the Wilsons, which are much easier to drive than the specs would suggest.

2 Likes

I heard somewhere that those cheap $10 power strips sound fantastic, lol.

2 Likes

Always gotta have a nice little tube amp around!
Mine is a Triode (of Japan) TRX-6PL
12wpc in triode with KT-77 always surprises me the speakers it can drive. I did once wire it to my Magicos (88db/4ohm) and…yeah, NO

2 Likes

main system ClearAudio Champion TT 2001. Workshop, 70’s HK Receiver, Advent speakers, 60’s Dual 1019 TT…

I made a second system because I just couldn’t part with my ZU speakers and little tube amps.

5 Likes

Perfectly logical…

2 Likes

However I got a serious eye roll from my gf.

2 Likes

Having 2 systems, or rotating components in the main system, is the way to go. I have recently been pondering that I need tubes for female vocals, jazz, and violins, but solid state for other music.

2 Likes

Mine is currently taking up residence in my office closet
My GF just doesn’t understand this “if your not using it, why do you need to have it” we are so mis-understood

7 Likes