Oldest Primary Component(s)?

Following the “I don’t understand…” comment, I asked her if she would prefer to be with someone who collects lighted beer signs. Her response can’t be cleaned up enough to publish here.

5 Likes

That’s a good one, Ron. Ha! I’m sure people do collect beer signs, and I feel sorry for them. Unless, of course, they also have absolutely killer stereos.

Being on the cutting edge of sound is awesome and stuff, but man have I come to appreciate some of these old rocks, like my MC2205, that are still kicking with no problems. I’m younger than my MC2205, or about the same age. If one of you old birds have any insight into pairing that amp properly, in an SS way, I’d love to hear your thoughts. It’s currently driving Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 bookshelves. I live in an old house, and like old things. I bet it would be fun with serviced JBLs from the 70s, and pretty 70s pre-amp.

Here it is now:

3 Likes

Thank for sharing this story. I love hearing about this kind of behavior (viz. servicing, and upgrades). Not sure why it makes me so happy, but it does.

Pot stirrer!

:wink:

4 Likes

There is a local auction New Years day and they have a MC2205 - C2 listed. I don’t need them but may go just to see what it sells for.

2 Likes

I want one of these for that very reason but know I can’t afford it because I’d have to buy something to plug into every available port. My wife is surprisingly tolerant of my hobbies but that would get me more than an eye roll.

AVA ABX Comparator

Think I paid 2k for mine in 2018 from my old trusty friends at Gold Sound here in Denver, whom I have been going to for many years. Then, got a orig walnut bracketed case from AudioClassics for $300 a few months later. I have a few mods ready if I choose to do that with my retirement…which has begun prematurely. Classy classic imho. Lemme know what it goes for!

1 Like

A Cardas Nautilus!

4 Likes

Martin Logan CLX Art speakers from 2011

2 Likes

Seems that idea has been suggested. :laughing:

I still use my Pioneer RT-707 reel to reel tape deck. I bought it new on 12/26/78 when I was a HS freshman.

4 Likes

Sanders Sound Systems Model 10e hybrid 'stats purchased about 12 years ago. Wouldn’t part with these as every other system upgrade is clearly audible and with the DSP LMS (loudspeaker management system) tweaking is simple without resorting to cable swaps and other random methods. Roger Sanders and his company have also provided outstanding customer support throughout this ownership experience. Right up there with PS Audio.

Stock image from SSS site:
DDD, Cherry 10 corner

Oldest component is a Revox PR99 MK II reel-to-reel circa 1979. Probably the last component I’d part with, as well. Totally impractical but so much fun! :rofl:

2 Likes

My oldest is a Denon TU-850 analog FM-only tuner from about 1980. I traded my GAS Thalia preamp back to my original dealer for it, after I’d bought an Apt Holman at another store. Great tuner, but there’s nothing to listen to on Indianapolis FM radio these days. Built like a tank, and the switchgear just oozes quality.

Not my video (and excuse the misspelled brand name):
DENOM TU-850 TUNER TEST - YouTube

Second oldest - a B&K ST-140 power amp, bought about 1985 and not currently in use.

1 Like

Dual CS 714Q and Akai GX-230D Reel tape deck.
Both from 1977 or 1978

1 Like

92.3 is a good progressive rock station in Indianapolis, if you’re into that

Yes, WTTS, formerly of Bloomington (home of IU), and transmitting from Trafalgar. I used to listen to them in the car occasionally, but found I became less and less tolerant of the commercials. But they’re probably the closest thing to decent music radio in central Indiana. Once in a while I stumble on the station from the northside’s J Everett Light Career Center, and that can be fun. They’re more adventurous than WTTS, but very hit-and-miss, and when they miss, they miss badly.

2 Likes

When I was just getting into stereos in the early ‘70s, I lusted after the 1229 so badly it hurt. The kid across the street and I used to play my records on his parents’ 1209 or 1219, I don’t remember which. But back in those days, when people still used changers, the 1229 was it.

1977 Marantz Model 150 Tuner - fully restored by me. It’s in my office and I use it several times a week.

10 Likes

My oldest component in my main system is my P20. Odd.

1 Like