P10 with audio research reference 250

I used to have two P10’s driving two tube Sonic Frontier monoblocks power amps. The power amps were recently upgraded to audio research reference 250. The power requirement for ARC Ref 250 as quoted from the spec is 380 watts at idle, 770 watts at rated output and 1000 watts maximum.

I wonder if the P10 has enough juice to drive this amp without problem?

thomaskllidr said I used to have two P10's driving two tube Sonic Frontier monoblocks power amps. The power amps were recently upgraded to audio research reference 250. The power requirement for ARC Ref 250 as quoted from the spec is 380 watts at idle, 770 watts at rated output and 1000 watts maximum.

I wonder if the P10 has enough juice to drive this amp without problem?

You are probably best having one p10 for each ref250 monoblock if you want to drive your system hard. Having said that, my ref150 draws 400W at idle, and very rarely exceeds this, even at very high volumes. So, assuming a normal sized room, and reasonably efficient speakers (better than 88dB/w/m), you could power both ref250 monoblocks off one p10.

I intend to drive one Ref 250 with one P10. It should draw around 400 watts each channel and it should be fine.

In my experience, the P10 should not be used continuously over its 50% load. Some headroom is needed. It is particularly so with export 220V model. There is an extra step up transformer inside which add more heat to the inferno. It is a sealed box, there is no vent hole on its cover.

My two P10’s had to be sent back for repair after driving my original tube amps for 2.5 years to replace the output modules. Fortunately it was covered by warranty and it was free. Thanks to Paul for his help.

Now it has passed the three years warranty, I hesitate to drive them hard. I wonder it is advisable to place some washers under the top cover to leave a small gap for better ventilation.

thomaskllidr said In my experience, the P10 should not be used continuously over its 50% load. Some headroom is needed. It is particularly so with export 220V model. There is an extra step up transformer inside which add more heat to the inferno. It is a sealed box, there is no vent hole on its cover.
+1.

However, I doubt that the P3 /P5 /P10 also has a step-up transformer like the P600. In fact, I don’t even think the PPP had one. But I stand to be corrected of course.

But I’m 100% with you on the 50% / headroom. Note though that the P3 /P5 /P10’s are capable of handling much higher loads and voltage swings than the PPP.

thomaskllidr said I intend to drive one Ref 250 with one P10. It should draw around 400 watts each channel and it should be fine.

In my experience, the P10 should not be used continuously over its 50% load. Some headroom is needed. It is particularly so with export 220V model. There is an extra step up transformer inside which add more heat to the inferno. It is a sealed box, there is no vent hole on its cover.

My two P10’s had to be sent back for repair after driving my original tube amps for 2.5 years to replace the output modules. Fortunately it was covered by warranty and it was free. Thanks to Paul for his help.

Now it has passed the three years warranty, I hesitate to drive them hard. I wonder it is advisable to place some washers under the top cover to leave a small gap for better ventilation.

Sorry, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the current ref 250's from ARC are monoblocks. Also, Paul may correct me here, but I'm pretty sure there isn't any additional transformer in the current model 220V P10.

Hi stereophilus,

How do you find the sound of your ARC Ref 150 with the P10?

thomaskllidr said Hi stereophilus,

How do you find the sound of your ARC Ref 150 with the P10?

I’m in Australia, so I run the run the ref150 through the P10 for protection as much as anything. In Australia we will get occasional mains voltages above 250V.

The sound with the P10 feeding the arc is very slightly less open/airy. However, the bass is better, especially with multiwave 6 selected. Overall, I’m willing to accept whatever differences for the benefits of the protection.

Toady I have connected my ARC Ref 250’s with two P 10’s. There is marked improvement in the sound. Everything is improved. I cannot be happier.

The ARC Ref 250 each is drawing around 350 watts which is lower than expected. P10 can handle it easily, no problem. I think I need a third P10 for my front end.