P10's best sounding firmware!

Lately I switched back to firmware 32 from 38 searching for more power in low frequencies!

My P10 is a 230V version and it can’t reach an enjoyable low frequency control with the 38 firmware, not even with multiwave 6.

When I connect all the equipment straight to the poweroutlets in the wall the low frequencies are more powerfull as with the 38 by far.

After a switch back to the 32 firmware everything fall in place again. Low frequencies had enjoyable power again.

After a few day’s the sound became thinner again with the 32 due to high output voltage it was not adjustable. When decreasing the voltage from 229V it went up in to steps to 240V. After reaching 240V it was not adjustable enymore. So a firmware change was needed to adjust the voltage back to 227V where my system sounds best. After the settings the 32 was reloaded.

I’m curious if others with a 230V P10 like the latest 38 firmware with new multiwave feature?

I would like to ask PS audio to look into this issue. I think the latest firmware 38 is the worst firmware for music at least for the 230V versions.

My experience with firmware 38 on my 230V p10 in Australia is only positive. That said, I haven’t swapped back and forth.

@adriaan

I stongly believe it must be because it is also audible on my headphones.

I did a recheck and reloaded the 38 this yesterday and again less power on low frequencies.

Back to 32 problem solved.

@stereophilus

When you can, please try!

It could surprise!

Winjand

It is very interesting and I am sure annoying to you , this audio world is so complex and just makes no sense sometimes. As the voltage rises the overall available instantaneous power is greatly increased . So I am puzzled. Paul way in is the transformer core the same for both 125 and 230 volt systems and just a different wires used to accommodate the voltage change. I know there is much more to it but just asking about the power transformer. Winjand it really is something weird . I am close to have I g my office furniture being completed when it is done I plan to play with the P10,s there with the amps there is 4 . I will try it with and without the P10 and variable settings as well . What I here us improvements in all freq,s except the bass as it booms a little and cannot tell of changes yet. I am still playing with the deqx cross over . I also have a bunch of ps audio power cords as well so this will be a process.

Al

@ALRAINBOW

Thanks! Take your time.

It’s not annoying to me enymore because I have the cure!

I opened this tread because the firmware 38 must be something stunning according the newsletter.

I’m sure a lot of people just installed the latest firmware without the knowledge it could kill the enjoyment like it did for me. Maybe I’m the only one and then there’s no problem. If else maybe PS audio could look into the firmware for the 230V P10’s and create a stunning firmware for it too.

One would hope hahaha

Al

@wijnand i had the same issue (voltage jumping to 240V all the time) with my old P5 and one specific firmware (don’t remember which one it was, but it was one of the 2013 vintage :slight_smile: )

After i’ve moved to the P10 it newer occurred again and i’m now using 0.38 firmware.

To me the 0.38 with MW6 sounds best.

Though I have other firmware issue - sometimes when “powering P10 down” via front button and then ON in the same fashion the multivawe stays set to 6, BUT when looking onto P10s display set to output voltage graph it’s clear that it’s not MW6, but rather MW3 or so. Going to setup and changing MW to something else than 6 and back to 6 fixes it.

I’m on 230V too. (about 226V during week days and 236V during weekends from powerline). I’m using Low Distortion and trying to keep voltage in ±4V range from incoming voltage (manually… :frowning: )

@maniac

Great to hear you prefer the 38 firmware with the 230V P10.

Is it something special you prefer about the 38?

For me the 38 is less strong on low frequencies than the 32.

Is this different on your system?

Too bad you powernet is not stable.

I like the output voltage a few volt below the input, it sound a bit stronger.

@wijnand with MW6 i’m getting deeper and tighter bass and more air on the other part of the spectrum. It sounds more dynamic, lively/corolfull

which is exactly the opposite you describe are getting from 0.38 hmm

I can’t understand how this is possible, but good to hear that the latest firmware can also be prefered with the 230V P10.

For me 38 beat 32 in every respect. Bass was deeper and clearer. It also was highlighted by the more open sounding soundstage. I really liked it. Your experience is based on headphone use only or consistent with headphones and speakers?

@dcastle

My experience is based for 98% on loudspeakers and 2% on headphones. Only with the 32 I get more organic strenght in low frequencies. On the second place I get the best sound when everything is connected straight to the dedicated powerlines. Then with a gap on the thirth place the 38. :-??

@wijnand with MW6 i'm getting deeper and tighter bass and more air on the other part of the spectrum. It sounds more dynamic, lively/corolfull

which is exactly the opposite you describe are getting from 0.38 hmm

+1

For me 38 beat 32 in every respect. Bass was deeper and clearer. It also was highlighted by the more open sounding soundstage. I really liked it. Your experience is based on headphone use only or consistent with headphones and speakers?

+1

@oddeophile

Are you on the 230V P10 version?

Nope, USA. No question about the superiority of the newest firmware version allowing for MW6.

@oddeophile

No that’s clear for the 115V P10.

With this thread I hope to find out of this is different for the 230V version.

Maniac is in the .38 camp with his 230V P10.

I’m in the .32 camp with the 230V P10 the .38 is far from good for me.

So I hope some more respons will follow to be sure if it’s just me or maybe the .38 sound different fir 230V and 115V P10’s

Understood. This may be due to various system interractions and just plain personal taste.

Wouldn’t be the first time, and definitely won’t be the last!

@wijnand - mine was a 230V - preferred 38/MW6