P20 & P15 Regenerator Performance Tweaks and Digital Stream Enhancements, plus BHK Preamp

How have things settled in using the AB7050 HF tweak?

The biggest change for me is the vocal is no longer the main focus they ar just natural and everything else hidden in the recordings come out and are no longer buried in a recording. Especially jazz standard type recordings. It is just a complete picture. I would love to hear what happens to someone with an outstanding vinyl rig and are also powering it with a regenerator. It has done so much for my digital streaming.

Agreed, the background music is more apparent, and the voice is better too in my case. I would describe the music is more energetic or richer. I have not changed my setup since yesterday (big strip at bottom middle and narrow one on top of display). The bigger improvement was from the AB7050 at bottom and the narrow one on top enhanced a bit more. So far, this setup is great for P15. I would love to hear if anyone else has tried it with P15.

1 Like

What was the size of the two strips and their exact locations? I have a sheet coming this week for my P15. Thanks!

Yes voice is better too on P20 with the absorber. It is just everything elsegot so much more better the in room and out of room sound. So much ease but a sharpness too. I think your going to be surprised what the Dragon HDMI and power cord both give yo when broken in with the absorber. I am doing a Nat King Cole Daily mix on Qobuz. It is just delightful since it includes all the other male and female artists from the period.

I am almost looking forward to Christmas songs. Damn canā€™t believe I said that.

1 Like

I have 8 x 3.75 at the bottom. The 8ā€ just fits in between the two feet, and the front is against the front panel. The top strip is 8 x 1.75 and is laying on top of the displaying with on end against the right edge.

1 Like

Vmax ā€¦ as requested, I returned to the Beatles 1ā€™s CD last night.
Iā€™m experiencing the same results as before, music is move vivid, Iā€™ve also found more air and space in the treble frequencies. Vocals very clear and easy to hear and the harmonies between them.
Itā€™s fascinating listening to how the recording quality improves with their recordings as time goes on.
From the early singles in mono, to stereo, then the improvements with the bass from Day Tripper onwards, giving a much weightier sound.
Thanks again Vmax for finding this tweak and bringing it to the PSA community.

2 Likes

I tried the AB7050 sheet on top of the transformer of BHK Pre, and the sound became less vivid. So it is interesting the tweak does not work in all applications.

1 Like

You may have to move the sheet towards the back half of the toroid transformer or right or left half to get the tweak to work on the P15 lid. Its performance is positional based on the right hand rule from the Lenz Law and the direction of the electro magnetic field that flows. My theory is this is dependent where the wire entry and exit taps were installed coming off the transformer.

It would be interesting to see internal photo of P15. It is likely 180 degrees installation of a P20 thus its EMF vector is down versus up. My theory is the absorber sheet improves the EMF flow-by drawing it in and converts it to heat. Or the P15 toroid is smaller diameter than P20 and it needs a narrower width and or shorter length piece of absorber to achieve the optimum effect.

I bet it is possible to squeeze even more performance out of the P15.

Note my P20 test on bottom installed absorber had less affect.

I have a theory that diametrically opposed position of absorber top and bottom might be the ultimate best. I will try that in the future.

Hereā€™s a Pic of the inside of the P15

1 Like

This tweak was all based on a hunch and having an extra sheet left over from the DS DAC mod. It is good to know internal installation gives same performance boost. Thanks for listening and being the first early adopter.

@Paul The real goal now is to get the PS Audio engineering team to take notice and improve their productā€™s performance. So it is not just a tweaker delight but product performance upgrade in sound quality and listening enjoyment.

From the looks of this P15 photo I would try positioning the absorber right side legth wise on lid so it heps ribbon cable, the display and the transformer.

If you have a piece of absorber could lay over transformer in this direction on lid and combined with length of display 1.75 piece . See how that sounds?

Note I couldnā€™t rotate picture well so it was sitting north and south alignment but it might work bestimage

Oh, thatā€™s interesting. The bottom piece is not taped so I will experience at different locations on top to give a try!

1 Like

Nice! I have no luck finding an interior picture earlier. Thanks!

1 Like

When I moved the piece from bottom to top at middle, then move the 1.75" strip to way right so they do not overlap; the sound is better. But I also found if I rotate the big piece by 90 degrees, so the width is 3.75" and NS direction is about 4" on top of P15. The sound is a bit cleaner. this layout is 3.75x4 at middle with 1.75 on the right (both against from panel).

Granted, these are smaller changes compare to without them. I need to play some more since I moved the two pieces so many times and need to refocus.

This is the position I surmised would be best based on my P-20 experience and seeing the P15 internal photo. You might try moving the 3.75 by 4 inch piece a a 1/4 to 1/2 inch left or right and listening for the most vibrant position. Using painters tape as reference and to hold in place. Then settle on position by repeating same song snippets. I found Diana Krall beginning of this song a great discrimination song. It is live with piano, crowd, pedals and interesting vocal inflections.

I was using Adeleā€™s new song ā€œEasy on Meā€ to test. this is getting crazy. My new strip is 4.5x3.25. It is from the left over of the other sheet. My new favorite is NS 4.5 against front, and the 3.25 wide section to favor the right side by .5". The 1.75 goes against the right edge of the big sheet.
I need to have a shot of whisky after lunch to see if I still like this setup. But looks like placing all on top is the way to go.

2 Likes

Vmax, I just realized your Dragon HC on P20 may have reduced the noise floor to a level that you can hear small changes easily. I need my Dragon now! The Zavfino Silver Dart may not be as good as the Dragon in filtering out noises.

@dchang05

My system was always good for hearing changes since it is 40 drivers each speaker it is in the IRS V level of discernment. But yes the Dragon cords really has changed it for the better. I believe the purple fuse helped too.

Your system is really good too if your hearing these minor moves of the absorber. I settled on a absorber position with the BAV power cord and it really didnā€™t move. I can hear different locations at lower levels with the Dragon where BAV I had to push the power level more. The Dragon does make sounds very natural after break in. It is a bit edgy until over 300 hours.

Good pair of ears help too :yum:!

1 Like