P300 and CD player problem

P300 (14 yr old) will not operate my CD player. Transport reads TOC plays about 10 sec then starts chattering, moving forward and back. It may re-read the TOC, then stop, It will manually move to a different track, but chatter there also. CD player works fine plugged directly into the wall. Any thoughts? Thanks.

tcmo said P300 (14 yr old) will not operate my CD player. Transport reads TOC plays about 10 sec then starts chattering, moving forward and back. It may re-read the TOC, then stop, It will manually move to a different track, but chatter there also. CD player works fine plugged directly into the wall. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Sounds like what happened to my P600. It started putting out low and highly variable voltages and the equipment attached to it got pretty unhappy. You can check the output on yours with a multimeter or simply plug a desk lamp into it and see if the light remains steady. In the case of my P600, the capacitors had gone bad. It took some time off for a restorative vacation in Boulder and came back better than new (even had a new light bulb behind the PS logo!). Send Alex an email, describe the problem, and see what he can do for you. You'll get charged for an out-of-warranty repair, but it's worth it.

-Pb