P600 front readout

When I use the front far left button to turn on my P-600, the screen shows P-1 If I toggle the fourth button it cycles from power output (typically 70 to 80 watts), to P-1, to 115 to blank to what looks like CL n. I can raise or lower the 115 number with the two central buttons. I do not think I changed that when my table was returned from PS last summer when I got it reconditioned. Am I seeing the frequency and adjusting it? Is it “safer” to keep it on 60 (cps?) to avoid problems if a motor in a component like my CD/DVD player is not impacted by running the disk load mechanism powered by the P-600? I also might like to power my turntable when using the phono input thru the preamp which is also powered by the P-600 when in use. My turntable is a belt drive SOTA Sapphire and has converter which plugs into a wall ac outlet and takes lower voltage power to the turntable electronics. I think it is a transformer like the old external transformers used in the PS IV but much smaller. Not sure if this is the kind of motor that is not good to attach to the P-600.

Hi Shenefelt,

Thanks for reaching out.
I’ll try to clear some things up.
It sounds like you’re seeing the output voltage and adjusting that, not the frequency.

You must be in SIN mode, not P-1 to P-4 mode in order to adjust the frequency.

CD and DVD players don’t care if you change the frequency to something other than 60Hz, but turntables with AC synchronous motors do care if you go higher than 60Hz. In the case of your SOTA Sapphire, we recommend keeping the frequency at 60Hz.

I hope this is helpful.
Thanks,

• Jeremy

Pressing the far right button cycles from P-1 to P4 if I press the two center adjustment buttons. I can also get it to “S I n” as well as C L n to appear and see what the output power is (typically 110 or 120 watts while in normal use for watching tv (NOT feeding tv power, but when just watching tv it is supplying power to the active crossover feeding the two amps for treble and bass drivers in the front speakers and the Anthem AVR which supplies power to the front center channel speaker(for tv and the surround speakers for theater all powered by the P600. With loud music it also supplies power to a preamp or or full theater surround where the Anthem internnal amps start supplying power to surround speakers and the blu ray player, I occasionally see a peak power of 300 watts on some brief peaks so I am not straining the P-600.

I cannot find any information about the “controls” provided by the 4 front buttons in the manual or in the repair stuff you provided. Am I correct in assuming that with a given menu item like “P-1 thru 4” or sine, blank or CLn the center two buttons raise or lower the control of the selected right button mode and if you get to the position you want, just press the right button again to go to a different mode and the screen selection will be the mode position saved ? What does CLn stand for? I think I have it set for 115 volts, sin and 60 cps but not sure. If I press a central button when on CLn it just counts down from around 60 to 0 then reverts to CLn again. What is that doing? If I continue to press the fourth button it goes to Sin then 60 then 0 then blank then the power consumption. Here is a photo of the flow chart I made for the controls. I do not know what the P-1 to p-4 or the “Tub” or the count down mean.
P600%20controls

It’s been a long time since I got rid of my P600 but I believe CLn refers to cleanwave, although I did not recall the P600 having that feature. If that is what it is, when triggered the unit sends out signals that are meant to demagnetize connected components. The count down tells you how long until it stops.

Thanks Stevem2
I am not sure why components need de-magnitized but maybe Jeremy will let me know when he responds. I know the unit I have had gotten some kind of optional upgrade by the prior owner. I had PS recap and go over it so it is up to spec.

“Demagnetize” was my term. Not sure how PSA describes the effect. Newer Power Plants also have this feature (at least my PPP and P10 did and I assume the newer ones do).

Power transformers when presented with asymmetric AC voltage (DC on the line) get their laminations magnetized. When you degauss the lams you get better sound.

1 Like

HI shenefelt,

You are correct in your understanding of the different functions and how the four buttons interact with the unit:

Sin is sine wave.
tub is the setting for tube gear which tend to have unique AC power needs.
P1-P4 are settings with varying amounts of different harmonics thrown in.
CLn is the transformer hi-frequency degaussing.
High frequency added to the AC output waveform degausses the transformer.
The blank screen is there as an option if you prefer not to see the display on.

I hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you needed anything else.
Thanks,

• Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. I don’t intend to us the unit to power a tube amp I own that is “resting” An old McIntosh 240, but good to know… What is “P1-P4 are settings with varying amounts of different harmonics thrown in” used for ?.

Just for info, I ran an “in steel grounded conduit” 12 gage (3 wires twisted) from a plug behind my P600 35 feet down the room through the basement to a two socket receptacle box containing one of your power port receptacles. I use it for the Preamp and maybe now, since I only use the 60 cps, the turntable. Trying a PS Noise Harvester in the PS power port receptacle gives no blinking at all. Not sure if the line is as clear as the direct plugin at the P-600 but sure is better than the house circuit receptacles. A power strip plugged into a wall outlet keeps three noise Harvesters blinking like crazy.

Hi shenefelt,

Happy to offer a little more detail on those settings:

[P-1] MultiWave1 is a single 60Hz sine wave with a minute amount of 3rd Harmonic sine waves mixed together to form a single partial square MultiWave. This is an improved version of PS2 from the original MultiWave™ series. The partial square wave setting improves the power supply’s ability to charge the capacitors in equipment by extending the length of time available to “top off” the capacitors’ voltage. Use this setting to enhance the performance of both source and power equipment.

[P-2] MultiWave2 is a 60Hz sine wave that incorporates a pseudorandom collection of frequencies which are dithered from 55- 65Hz. Using this slightly random frequency deviation is similar to adding dither on a digital audio source. Power supply dithering can lower the perceived noise floor and help remove apparent glare on the audio signal.

[P-3] MultiWave3 is a combination of P-1 with a slight degree of 3rd harmonic addition (P-1).

[P-4] MultiWave4 is full combination of P-1 and P2. It generates a pseudorandom collection of frequencies, however instead of generating sine waves it generates the same waveform as P-1.

These settings are really intended to be auditioned and tested as each will produce different performance results that vary from system to system.
There’s nothing harmful in trying each one out and choosing the best one per your preference.
Let me know if you had any other questions.
Thanks,

• Jeremy

Hi @Paul

Do you know if one has asymmetric AC voltage going into a Power Plant, does that mean the power coming out of the Power Plant will still have asymmetric AC voltage coming out, or does the Power Plant remedy this problem, meaning the power coming out of the Power Plant will be symmetrical?

Thanks,
George