Packaging rant

Continued from somewhere else on this forum:
Start rant–
I bought some speaker cables from a friend. He saved the complete set of original packaging, I guess to make the secondary buyer (me) feel happy.
Here’s what came inside the standard cardboard box:
A large hard, glossy box with elaborate photo printing. Inside that was another hard, glossy, photo printed box, inside which was a beautiful rigid zippered case with a handle, a nylon bag with long pull tie rope, a large zip type plastic bag in which the cables were held, an 8 by 10 “quality” diploma with a gold, embossed seal and hand signatures, suitable for framing and hanging on the wall next to one’s diplomas.
What is the thought process here? Should I occasionally load my cables into the rigid, zippered case with the handle and take them somewhere nice? Maybe a drive in the country with the top down?
What an idiotic waste of money and materials.

8 Likes

Apparently the Marketing Money was wasted on you :metal:

1 Like

Wish they’d put that $ into the product itself, reduced the cost, or even donated the money to some charity!

4 Likes

Back in the day, that was the big realization I had about Monster Cable. They were all about the outsides of the product and the packaging and marketing. When I started using some of their cables in professional applications (with the exception of XLRs, which were fairly normal) I had them come apart in my hands on more than one occasion. Built to be plugged in once, basically.

1 Like

Iconoclast has the right idea: Velcro bits to hold them in place, inside a plastic bag, inside a Fedex box.
And I do admire PS Audio’s brilliantly engineered packaging.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’ll admit to a small version of your rant with respect to the packaging on the Platinum Wireworld cables. Not quite as ostentatious as what you described, but still not exactly necessary. And I do find the boxes perfect for the many small bits of gear I use in video production. So they aren’t going to waste. The black nylons, though… :roll_eyes:

The white cheese cloth gloves PSA included one can wear when they cut :hocho: the cheese :cheese: I suppose?

2 Likes

Is this pretentious, over the top packaging a poor attempt to out Apple, Apple? After all, they are the original purveyors of wasting marketing funds.

2 Likes

Iso-accoustic Titans in a big mahogany box to make you feel special. Perhaps one could turn it into a Cigar Humidor if you find another holder for the alternate adapters and silkscreened chrome plated wrench Thing is a good doorstop otherwise.

2 Likes

A stealthy cheese :cheese: cutter :hocho: is careful to leave no trace of fingerprints to be blamed. White gloves or not.

1 Like

Some manufacturers use wood boxes. Always thought the fine boxes were the least they could do based on the markup of their products.

Reminds me of high-end watch packaging!

1 Like

All that marketing presentation would have been far better spent
in product engineering and development…the other while very elegant
is a pure waste of hard earned $$$$$

I was flabbergasted when I got my Isoacoustics Titans. The boxes and the overall presentation is so very over the top. Only Ron P would toss that packaging. Oh, and my wife.

4 Likes

While beautiful…do we store our cables back in their boxes after
we conclude our listening sessions?

Silly right?

2 Likes

I found with Monster Cable, if you plugged them in repeatably, they tended to break equipment, they were so tightly fitting. I’ve removed several RCA jacks off the back of electronics using them. Poorly made was never something I experienced with them.

Excuse me sir, I wouldn’t think of tossing your wife.

5 Likes

You aren’t suggesting she is too heavy to toss?

1 Like

That is a problem with the monster cable turbine rca
ics …monster cable forgot that cables do need to be disconnected from
time to time. :thinking:

Repeated connecting is also something the equipment manufacturers didn’t allow for as well.

2 Likes

You mean Al was not stating she was not one of your ex lady friends? Sharing gear can be so much fun.

1 Like