Pass XA160.8's to INT-60

I am thinking about selling my XA160.8’s and going to an INT-60 to simplify things a little. Has anyone here made the swap to the INT-60 or use one in their system?

2 Likes

Whether we acknowledge it or not, most of what we discuss in this hobby is about finding that last few percent of refinement in the sound of our systems.
I went from Pass monoblocks and XP-30 preamp to an INT-250. The INT-250 sounded great but in the words of Mark Sammut, you can’t expect one box to replace 5 boxes without losing something.
I’m back to 4 boxes.
I’ve heard both the INT-250 and the INT-60 in my system and I much prefer the INT-60. Possibly because the '60 is biased far higher into Class A, I don’t know. But if I was going to have an integrated, the INT-60 would be the one.

2 Likes

Thanks Ron,
I had that same discussion with Mark and he gave the same recommendation - keep the XA160.8’s and the XP-32.
I may get the INT-60 and try it with the XP-32 feeding it before making a decision. It is 30 watts of class A so maybe that’s enough.
These XA160.8’s are badass and sound really, really good but very heavy.
I weight 140 and so does each amp so to put it mildly they are a pain to move around.
Thanks again.
Vern

3 Likes

I considered and looked at all the Pass integrated options and I may get burned at the silver stake ignited with black matches, but the preamps have a balance control among other features I use. I agree that for me the INT-60 was the sweet spot. I just don’t want to be found squished with herniated eyebrows under one of these 10 stone components. I currently use an XP-22 to light up an XA-25 and I still can fit into my Jack LaLanne jumpsuit.

2 Likes

the Pass Integrates are great, but you will be losing very much sonically…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t do it.

1 Like

Although there is a preamp out to drive a separate amp, you can’t bypass it’s preamp on input.

1 Like

Not quite the same as your question stems from :
I had a PSA BHK pre and BHK 300 MONOS
and I traded them in for an INT60
I found it to be an upgrade in SQ and am very happy I made the change. Added bonus is making room
Let us know what u think if you move ahead

4 Likes

The class A to 30 W is great and I almost never cause the bias needle to move into A/B

3 Likes

Glad you are happy with the change, :smiley:

Thanks for the help everyone. Now I have some noodling to do. :thinking:
Mark was adamant about not selling the XA160.8’s for SQ reasons so once I am ready to get things out of storage I will see how the system develops.
I am reducing 3 systems into one so some gear will go bye-bye for sure.

5 Likes

Doesn’t seem prudent unless backwards is now attractive.
Try an Int60 with a new pair of speakers you have been curious about in a small room nearfield style. Having both is the only way you’ll be able to fully answer your question.

4 Likes

Thanks Al. Trying to figure out how to get good results with less stuff but maybe less is just less.

2 Likes

You can choose less after you experience it personally. You can still sell your gear but at least you will be fully aware of where you are going and what you are leaving behind.

5 Likes

Int-60 is 93 lbs not a massive reduction in weight!

3 Likes

Sound advice.

1 Like

Are you going to a different dealer? Mark is retired correct? Might you offer up the dealer name? I need a backup plan since mark is gone.

Correct but I can wrestle 90 lbs. way easier than 140 lbs. The new 'hood we live in is mostly gray hair, canes and walkers so not much local help to move the heavy stuff.

2 Likes

I had a nice chat with Mark before he retired and closed up shop. I would be looking at the used market. There is a nice looking INT-60 on USAM now.

1 Like

I was under the impression they were in the 120s rather than 140s. Anyway, I share the same concern because of degeneration in my upper and lower back. I wish the best of luck with your search!

1 Like