PerfectWave MKII won't power up

Here’s the issue I’m having. I updated the PWD firmware 2 days ago from 2.4.3 to 2.4.4 and at the same time I updated the bridge firmware to 2.15. Everything worked fine for 2 days. Yesterday I turned the DAC on and the PS Audio logo on the left started flashing like it was doing another update, it started initializing and then went black. Now every time I turn it on I get 2 flashes on the PS Audio logo and the screen also flickers twice and then it goes black. I tried loading the 2.4.3 firmware back on the memory card which didn’t help. Before I send it in for repair does this issue sound familiar to anyone? Fuse or something hopefully?

Problems like this are uncommon and frustrating.

I suggest completely shutting down and unplugging the unit and leaving it for a couple of hours. Before powering it up again, take the SD card out and see if it will initialize.

I totally disconnected everything yesterday evening so it sat for around 12 hrs. I didn’t remove the card though.

ELK is correct.

Card should be removed.

If it boots, then check the version on the front screen.

I suspect you somehow corrupted the firmware.

Pls download again and put ONly the internal files on a fresly formatted fat16 or 32 card.

Should work.

Once you get it working you would leave the card in if you care about artwork on the front panel (unlike for the DS, where the card should be removed). The unit should not try to reinstall the firmware at that point if you need to restart the PWD (although you can remove the firmware files if you like).

gordon said Pls download again and put ONly the internal files on a fresly formatted fat16 or 32 card.
I checked yesterday and sure enough fat32 shouldn't work in that there's no software in the DS or PWD that understands fat32 vs. fat16 :) YMMV
stevem2 said Once you get it working you would leave the card in if you care about artwork on the front panel (unlike for the DS, where the card should be removed). The unit should not try to reinstall the firmware at that point if you need to restart the PWD (although you can remove the firmware files if you like).
Actually, that's exactly what it looked like it was trying to do....reinstall the firmware.....and then it just died. I tried booting w/out the card and it did the same thing blinking twice and then nothing. I'll try reformatting the card tomorrow.

I decided to try the reformat tonight. I reformatted the card FAT16 and re-downloaded 2.4.4. Looks like it worked! I can’t tell you how relieved I am…thank you gordon! …and everyone else who replied :^ )

Seems to me I have used fat32 [I think it was previously suggested for the PWD, but not 100% sure].

So if fat 16 is correct then we should stick to it to aid the consistency.

Thanks Ted.

gordon said Seems to me I have used fat32 [I think it was previously suggested for the PWD, but not 100% sure].

So if fat 16 is correct then we should stick to it to aid the consistency.

Thanks Ted.

Indeed it was stated by a member that he used fat32. Without looking specifically at the specific differences in format between fat16 and fat32 I think it could work if you are “lucky” but I’d stick to a format that the code expects to see.

A FAT32 card seemed to work for me once but I didn’t really verify that everything installed properly and I quickly went back to a different version (using a FAT16 card). FAT16 definitely seems to be the way to go.