Playlist feature improved!

The share function is intended for customized albums where we don’t have metadata available. There’s no need to share an album that already comes up properly in your playlist. But, if the album comes up empty handed and you take the time to fill in the missing info and cover art, then it should be shared and we’ll get it added to the hive.

Does that make sense?

Or, am I missing your point?

If possible, it would be convenient but I’m not sure it’s a good idea.

Someone replied to my original post that the system smacks of ‘big brother.’ This would be even more so if albums were shared without our explicit consent. I am OK with the system as it is but might be uncomfortable going further.

Is it possible to tell that an album was correctly matched? I don’t know. If an album is deliberately shared, at least one human audiophile has looked at the listing so there is a reasonable chance it’s correct.

In my case, I often have albums without complete information. If I get an ‘unknown’ album in my Playlist, I often edit the title and artist, and sometimes the cover art, so that I know what the album is. Typing track info on my iPad is a huge pain so I frequently go back later and fix several at a time when I am sitting at a keyboard. It would not be helpful for such incomplete entries to get into the database.

Edit: Paul posted his reply while I was typing mine. His comment

There’s no need to share an album that already comes up properly in your playlist.
addresses the issue exactly.

Would it be possible to automatically populate the ‘disc type’ field when a new playlist entry is created? The disc type is already available from the DMP on the debug screen.

This is planned for the next version of firmware when we release it.

Sorry guys, must have had a brain seizure last night. Thank you for the replies.

magister said -- album can be shared with the PSA Community
Where dies this button appear and under what circumstances? Does it appear if you fill in any entire disc from scratch the system does not otherwise know?

Open your Playlist and click on the Track List button of the album you want to share. The album should already have the information filled in, either because you typed it in or because you located it in Discogs (not the same as already being in PSA’s own database). Caution is in order because it is possible to accidentally share an album with incomplete data. Note that the default is for a Redbook Cd; if I were going to share this album, I would change the type to SACD first.

share.jpg

Thanks.

I do not have this button. I have tried putting in some tracks name and a title for CDs of the Plalist has no clue, but it still does not appear. Perhaps it appears only if you enter everything, including album art.

Hi Elk,

I believe that if the “hive” database doesn’t already have an entry for the album title the “share album” button appears. I was just updating an entry for Simply Red, It’s Only Love and all I had entered was the album title and that button appeared. If the title is already there the button won’t appear.

BTW - any chance in a future update to the UI a button can be added to copy the Artist Name (from the disc title / Artist entry) to all listed tracks? If the album isn’t found on Discogs (and there have been quite a few for me) and you have to manually enter every track/times/artist it is a tedious cut-and-paste operation - the album in question has 19 tracks!

A question about adding an album to the “hive”… or why it sometimes doesn’t work?

I have two albums in my (limited) playlist that when I created the entries (not found on Discogs etc) the “share” button was (and is still) displayed. However, on my laptop when I click on the button nothing happens - the click(or pressing “enter”) isn’t recognised by the UI. Any ideas why this might happen?

2nd question (issue just cropped up tonight) - I manually edited Getz / Gilberto (SACD) entry in my playlist - however playlist always saves the album as CDDA even though I change the entry to SACD on dropdown box. The disc is a SACD only. It is not a hybrid. Is there anything special I need to enter to force playlist to register this album as a SACD disc?

Elk,

You are correct, the share with PSA Community button only appears when all data is entered. Also, once it has been submitted, there is no editing for the submission. I carefully added an album last night but forgot to assign as a SACD instead of CD. There is no way to change it, as far as I can tell.

Elk said Thanks.

I do not have this button. I have tried putting in some tracks name and a title for CDs of the Plalist has no clue, but it still does not appear. Perhaps it appears only if you enter everything, including album art.

It is not my experience @speeddeacon. I found that the button appears with as little information as only the title entered. Also I find that the format type cannot be changed. Perhaps PS Audio can answer some of the questions.

Maybe so frank because our experiences have been different then. On the album I added last night, for example, I had painstakingly entered all the info, time, artist, cover art etc. and no button for sharing appeared. Scrolling down I realized I had not entered a time for one of the tracks. I filled in the time and the share button immediately appeared.

However, I have always added tracks to the submission. Perhaps without tracks entered it doesn’t require all blanks to be filled. We’ll see what they say.

It makes sense that the software would perform some consistency checks; every track should have a name, time, and artist, for instance. But I have seen the ‘Share’ button appear with incomplete information (no tracks, IIRC album title and artist only). I have always been able to change the disc type.

Makes sense and explains why I’ve had a few albums come up in the search without album art I suppose. I’ve considered only adding title artist and album cover since I can’t read track info from my listening position. Ultimately I go ahead with track info anyway, for completeness sake I guess.

Regarding the disc type, I can change it but it always reverts back to whatever it was labeled when submitted when I came back to it. I’m still learning tho.

I played around with it last night as I finished listening to the incredible Bernard Haitink-London Symphony Orchestra live Beethoven Symphony cycle. The piece I was missing was the need to close the window where the editing takes place, then reopen the item again. The share button then populates. I did not experiment with intentionally leaving track info blank to see if it would allow me to share, but I did share with only the Title and artist info populated (no album art). I then opened it again, added album art and track info, as well as change the type of recording (SACD).

@speeddeacon said

“Regarding the disc type, I can change it but it always reverts back to whatever it was labeled when submitted when I came back to it. I’m still learning tho.”

This is exactly what I experience- you can ‘change’ the format via drop-down menu however the change doesn’t get saved.

I also found another disc that didn’t register at all in my playlist. This is the 3rd disc I’ve experienced that doesn’t register despite playing the disc (and yes, I waited until the internet & disc reported ok on DMP screen). This album is The Power of 7 / Up-Front. A Sheffield Labs disc.

Little things perhaps (except non-registering) but it would be nice to receive feedback from PSA that these reports are being looked in to.

Hi, all.

The issue of discs not registering in the playlist at all seems to be related to those that have some metadata embedded in the disc, and should be addressed in our next version of DMP firmware.

I will look into the disc type issue. The database is receiving shared contributions marked as SACDs, including the Bernard Haitink- London Symphony Orchestra album from @speeddeacon, so it may just be a display issue on the My Playlist webpage.

EDIT - Yes, it was a display issue! You should be able to change disc type properly now.

Thanks,
-Tyera

Hi Tyera,

Thank you for the reply and the fix! Do you think that sometime in the future an additional sort button could be added to the individuals playlist to sort the albums by the play count? Or is there a way to export the playlist along with all the fields as a text file so it could be opened in a spreadsheet and sorted?

Thank you for the continuing good work on the website. Cheers Frank

Hey Tyera, while we’re suggesting improved features, I’d like to have a composer field that can be left blank (only use with classical) and the ability to add the UPC bar code to make searching by other users easier. One last thing would be the ability to add time to albums added via search that don’t include them. I end up adding the track all over again with the time then deleting the track without the time which is very time intensive.