DirectStream Memory Player Playlist

I opened up my web browser today to find that the capability of editing playlists has been removed. This was a feature I enjoyed to ensure that album art is displayed correctly for CDs and SACDs. I feel quite strongly that this has been withdrawn, completely without warning, and would respectfully ask that PS Audio reconsider this decision.

4 Likes

Agreed. Pretty lousy decision by PS Audio and not a way to keep customers. The excuse of ‘software limitations’ is lazy.

3 Likes

I too was not happy with the decision to remove the playlist editor. I am OCD about keeping my disc cover art and tracklist info up to date. I even went so far as to buy a PWT so I could still play with this feature once I moved from the DMP to the PST. I wrote to Paul about it and the only response I got was there are only a handful of us using it and that it was a difficult decision. I record my records to disc and like to put cover art track list and artist information on them. Now any new discs I create or purchase will not be able to display this stuff. An unhappy camper for sure.

3 Likes

I don’t know how you can say that only a handful of us use it. I use it every time I power on my DMP and DSD. No, I didn’t go into the web browser and make edits constantly, only when the info was missing from the library so I could get it to display the cover art, track info, etc. Cover art is one of the things I liked very much about my PS Audio gear. Is there another way to get that info onto the SD card so it will display? If not, please figure it out for goodness sake.

4 Likes

Agree. I also use this feature pretty often.

If this is some sort of a strategy to make people move to PST then that is really a shame.

I wud be now thinking twice in investing any of future products of PS Audio.

Regards,
Sourav

2 Likes

PS Audio is not that type of company.

3 Likes

I agree that PS Auio are “not that type of company”, which makes it even more disappointing that they have taken this decision to reduce the features on the DirectStream Memory Player. I spent a long time ensuring that every disc I played had the correct artwork and metadata, uploading several sets of details manually when these could not be found online. Paul said that they’d think about it but I suspect nothing will happen.

Every time I now play a disc and no artwork comes up it takes the pleasure away from playing the music. No doubt I’ll get over it, but that isn’t the point.

I implore PS Audio to consider how they can reinstate the old functionality, as the old code must still be around, which they could link to.

I’ve never previously heard of updating a web-site reducing the functionality of a component, and so perhaps this is a first. If enough people complain then something may be done. You may have gathered that I am somewhat angry about this.

5 Likes

It would be frustrating to lose all of that work.

I do not know what it takes to operate behind the scenes but I suspect maintaining the feature takes more than at least I expect.

2 Likes

I don’t have much of any knowledge about what resources it took to make My Playlist work, so read the following and take it with a grain of salt.

I wish My Playlist would be made available again if even for only another 6-12 months. Then us My Playlist users, even if it’s only a few people, might have time to capture as many CDs/SACDs as possible and let us edit them one last time so their info and cover art will be on our player’s SD card. I have a few thousand discs that I had in my playlist, many first cataloged with a PWT and most of which aren’t on my DMP’s SD card, so it looks like they’re just gone at this point.

If not the above, is there a workaround that would let us get disc info and cover art to our players?

5 Likes

Apparently PS Audio no longer supports Album Art on the DMP. The new Octave SACD’s are not supported. If you download the recordings to your disk drive and play them through the Bridge II, the album art appears.

I’m no file expert at all, but my PORSCHE and VW both show cover art on every song in “random” order off the SD card as .WAV files. Somewhere, the basic cover art is buried on each song file. True, a few old, old CD’s don’t have cover art.

There clearly is way to read cover art, and even song by song individually and with that come limitations, too, as the file format has to support it. Maybe someone in the know can explain why the imbedded cover art can’t be read and shown like auto’s do when we do use supported formats.

I’m 65 so I can still remember what CD I am playing at home after I start playing it (that’s a joke) but…if you want to know what album that cut is on, I don’t remember that in the car without the cover art sometimes.

Best,
Galen

1 Like

I even tried manually editing the sd card with addition of the image and related meta data in txt file. But looks like the logic used by PS Audio overrides manual edit.

Net net, I sincerely believe that PS Audio product had a great differentiator based on this ability of showing cover art for CD. For me it worked almost flawlessly (even by getting the album art from music databases). So taking out this feature to me is not a good decision. However, end of the day, they know better their business strategy and market.

Regards,
Sourav

I have the Memory Player, too, so yes I noticed the cover art went AWOL but I guess it didn’t bother me as much as I wondered why .WAV file don’t use the imbedded art.

Best,
Galen