Power cable gauge?

How would a person figure out max amperage draw from a component? I want to make my own power cords but don’t know what gauge wire to use. For example, I have M700s but I can’t find their current draw anywhere. TIA

Amps * Volts = Watts. Given that the US uses 110V and the UK is 240, we get away with 10 gauge (we don’t call it that) but the US presumably requires double the conductor area.

Hmmm so the idle consumption for the M700 is given as 23 watts. I wonder how high it goes when the amp is producing musical transients…although I suppose it will never get close to the 15 amps spec’d for 14 awg wire for example so it doesn’t matter.

A couple more watts is all

Yep, that’s what I figured. Thanks!

My entire system pulls 220 watts according to P10. When the music is low I see the 220W, when the music is loud I see 221-213 watts!

1-3 watts change over my normal use levels…M700 driving a pair of low efficient stand mount/bookshelf speakers.

While a tiny cable can supply enough power to the M700, I’ve run 10, 12 and 18 awg cables. I stuck with the 18awg.

1 Like

Well, the M700s idle at 23 watts each and they are about 91% efficient. Thus, the power draw will be about 10% greater than the wattage you are delivering to your speakers.

1 Like

For an easy back of the hand calculation figure about 7 amps maximum at 120 volts and half that number of amps at 230 volts.

1 Like

In the USA the law allows 14AWG on a 15amp branch and 12AWG on a 20amp branch. When you see these 4 or 2 AWGx3 power cords for Audiophile use it is the belief of a firehose. It can flow more electricity. Of course this is not mathematically true. It may often sound better though. Often things in our hobby are scientifically unexplainable. Take for example the AC12 sounds much better than the AC3. Both rated the same current draw. The former having much larger conductors.