Power Cable Length for Stacked M700

Is there an optimum power cable length? I see many references to 2M but I recently purchased a pair of M700 that are stacked with a SPP3 and feel such long heavy cables wouldn’t work well. I can see using a 2M power cable from my wall to the SPP3 but what’s everyones thoughts on the short runs? Also should they all be the same quality or can I use more basic cables between the SPP3 and the M700 since the power is cleaned and regenerated at the SPP3?

Hi @Dr_Jekyll

My cables are all 1m, save a couple that are 1.5m. Unless necessary, shorter cables are more practical, though at times hard short cables need to be wrestled.
Some cables are better for high current, others (usually thinner) are better for source equipment. My cables are pretty humble compared to some, but they are great value for money. I have been using Monsoon for M700 and P15 with great results.

1 Like

As to the second part of your question, it my experience that the quality (or lack thereof) of the power cables exiting the P3 regenerator is very much apparent. If you have a resolving system, everything matters. Yes, one can use lesser quality cables relative to the mains cable feeding the regenerator but the overall system performance is negatively affected. Better ac cables from regenerator to components provides further refinement to the regenerator’s power supply.

1 Like

+1. Nicely put Photon46

I’m a big proponent of keeping the power cables as short as possible. If you can get away with shorter cables between the P3 and M700s, go for it!

2 Likes

Power cable length is one area where I think folks tend to overthink things.
While I am absolutely convinced that a good quality power cable can be as effective as most component changes, I think that within one particular model cable, you’d have to have instrument level hearing to hear changes due to lengths—lengths within reason.

2 Likes

Some manufacturers like Shunyata have some Digital cables and power cables they don’t sell in shorter lengths due to noise reduction needs or how digital cables react and noise absorption properties of the diaelectric per length.

Caelin Gariel talks to this in a video with San Francisco Audio Club in a zoom meeting or with other online written articles or participation in forums. Seems like a digital or power cable thing and wavelengths of the noise they are trying to eliminate.

1 Like