Power Regen P3 Break In?

Does the P3 Regenerator require a break-in time frame to sound its Best?

Yes, my Stellar Power Plant 3 absolutely needed a minimum of 300 hours of burn in to sound its best.

2 Likes

Absolutely, it only has a hand full of hours on it once it comes off the line from testing. Keeping that puppy on 24/7 for a few weeks does the trick.

3 Likes

Jamesh,

By “keeping it on”, do you mean playing music 24/7 or just keeping it powered up (no music)? :shushing_face:

What “Sonic Characteristic Changes” can I expect in the P3 going through a full -400- hour break-in period?? :thinking:

Thanks for the assistance,

Ted

A suggestion for burn in would be to operate the regenerator with several lamps connected for the suggested burn in period, running it 7/24. I’d suggest 60 Watt incandescent at each outlet. If there is a problem with the unit you only sacrifice light bulbs. :grin:

Just powered up 24/7 does the trick. Music isn’t necessary. Some folks swear it doesn’t need a load to break in but I like for there to be at least a little load. Makes sense to me for the output to break in, you want a load on it.

3 Likes

Thank You Jamesh & George!

Got the P3 regenerator in Saturday and have had it cooking (with music). I plan on continuing (24/7) with it’s break-in period for 2-3 weeks to “hear” where the sonic characteristic changes settle out, as it currently presents a difference from what I had (good & bad). AS per responses and other experiences here on the forums, I understand it will take time for the P3 to come into its own!

FWIW, currently in my system (after 24 hrs), the overall bandwidth has changed to a warmer, softer and less focused midrange. Definition and resolution details in the mid and lower registers has blended into a homogeneous sound, not in a bad way, but enough so that the air and pin point focus around vocalist, orchestral and instrumental ensembles has become bloated. Bass heft and weight has increased, but at the expense of loosing some tonality, speed and punch.

However, these sonic differences has allowed the width of the soundstage to expand wider than ever before, making my stand monitors Disappear completely! I have a very pleasing presentation that is relaxing and enjoyable to listen to, but just not as exciting or “live” as before (doesn’t give me chills or breath-taking gasp). Another positive seems to be that micro/macro dynamics has increased in an effortless expanse of energizing room DB!

A Big surprise is that the P3 Easily handles All of my components (CD-Pre/Power Amps/125wpc-12" Powered Sub/500w) in the Regen mode without blinking an eye (Output LED doesn’t glow yellow or red-indication of exceeding the overall 300w rating). I’ve pushed my system to 70+ Db of dynamic output (35 to 105 db swings in one song) at levels I don’t dare sustain or would normally listen to without ear protection!!! The P3 not only handles this sonic thrill, but I can barely feel that the unit is even warm to the touch!

The P3 was packed solidly, is well built/finished and looks great in my audio rack (pics coming). Time will tell if my stereo will return to (Or Surpass) the excellent timbre, tonality, resolution, and details in an expansive and airy holographic soundstage that I had achieved with my many tweaks of these past 4 years!?!

More Details a Coming! :wink:

Ted

3 Likes

Congrats, Ted!

I would run the connected components, playing music through your speakers whenever possible. I found that sped up the burn in for me. Also, that homogenous, less focused sound you describe will go away after burn in. My P3 is well past burn in and focus has returned. It’s now at least as focused, probably more since the noise floor is lower.

George

1 Like

Thanks George…was curious if what I am experiencing was similar to you (and others) with a new P3! In the beginning of break-in, did you also have resolution, definition, tonality and detail reductions in the midrange/bass regions? If so, did they also return to their glory after break-in? :pray:

Yes, I’ll be playing music through my system 24/7 for the next few weeks (albeit, softly after bedtime)! :+1:

Ted

Hi Ted,

In the beginning I noticed limitations in a lot of areas. I always notice this with new gear, and since the P3 comes before every component of my system, it makes sense that its newness would seriously affect the sound like that.

1 Like

Well, it has been almost 200 hrs break-in (24/8) of steady music feed through my P3. To date, the soundstage has grown smaller, collapsing in width/depth and resides more diffused in between the monitors. Transients and resolution detail has warmed up a bit, leaving a lesser live and realistic presentation!? :frowning:

Will continue with the break-in process 24/7 to see if/how the P3 may blossom out to greater than the holographic/natural mind-blowing reproduced audio I had before. :pray:

Ted

Have you tried turning the P3 off (using the switch on the back), removing the small fuse in the back and then reversing the direction of the fuse, putting it in the opposite direction it was previously in?

I have found that in one direction, the fuse sounds OK, but in the other direction, it sounds excellent.

1 Like

Playing the Beatles I guess! :thinking:

3 Likes

Haha!

Don’t think it was The Beatles, though. If he had played the Beatles, it’d be getting better all the time.

3 Likes

How else would he get 8 days a week?

2 Likes

??? Hey George, didn’t know that fuses are directional ??? But thanks for the heads-up, I’ll try your suggestion!

1 Like

Let us know your findings!

Ha ha :laughing:, No Beatles (not a big fan, just a hard days night), but a steady mix of Orchestral, Choral, Pipe Organ, Instrumental, Solo Vocals, Jazz and R&B! :slight_smile:

1 Like

George,

Tried the “reverse-the-fuse” magic trick…didn’t make any difference for me!

FWIW (again), the P3 is now at 275 hours of power-up and music playback and its sonic character hasn’t improved or changed since post #10?

Decided to switch it out with my previous 15 yr old power conditioner/filter unit and the Soundstage opened up, became much deeper and with better detail, air and separation of vocals, instruments and ensemble venue ambiance! Focus and imaging became much sharper with proper placements in the venue presentation. Basically, what I had before the P3, had immediately Returned to it’s Sonic Glory!!

Reinstalled the P3 and All of this sonic glory virtually disappeared…I became disappointed and disenchanted with my purchase. But Wait, what if, no it couldn’t make a difference…just don’t understand how??? I powered the whole system down and removed a 12" right-angle 20A power cord that I had installed to connect the P3 power cord to. Hooked the P3 directly to my 20A dedicated wall service, powered up the components and low and behold, I FOUND The MISSING SONICS…HURRAY!

Powering directly from the wall socket (just like the prior conditioner) brought the P3 sonics to within 99.5% of my minimum expectations (to equal or even Better the prior conditioner)! I’m now leaving the AC power alone and the P3 running as is in hope the P3 still has more headroom for proper break-in and sonic improvement thrills!

Ted

2 Likes

:+1:t2: :+1:t2: :+1:t2: At some point, you may want to get a better power cord for the P3. AQ Monsoon is doing an excellent job feeding my P15.

1 Like