Prima Luna is going fully balanced

I may demo a balanced Primaluna Dialog preamp when they arrive. Local dealer is picking up the brand this month

1 Like

I owned a Primaluna Dialog Premium preamp for about a year. It was well made, a great value, and I liked rolling tubes. I also liked that it used tube rectification and sounded pretty good. I gave it up because I preferred balanced inputs and outputs. A fully balanced design would definitely be a plus, but I doubt that the single ended version would be upgrade able. It already weighs in at 65 lbs. So, The balanced version might be a good bit heavier?

Being a dual mono design already may or may not make a differenceā€¦ either wayā€¦ I am more interested if the new pre will also have any kind of a parts upgrades to make it an even better sounding unitā€¦ If it can be made to be a better sounding unit,I would love to hear one for comparisonā€™s sake to the original.We shall see!

Tube rolling with the PL is a tweak that can really bring this pre to a whole other level. Like going from business classā€¦ to first classā€¦8)

Any news? By the wayā€¦who is your source concerning any upgrades?

So far, I canā€™t find any news of balanced.

I was told by a North American Prima Luna rep when I inquired about a balanced amp model. He said it would be on the website about now, but nothing yet! Iā€™m sure itā€™ll come up soon.

Thanks for the replyā€¦

For those of you waiting, the amps are now on their website!

https://www.primaluna-usa.com/primaluna-evo-400-tube-power-amplifier

$4699 Stereo / $9398 Monoblock Pair

Interesting that they donā€™t even mention it in the write up for the new Amps. Donā€™t think they really consider it to be a very big deal but Iā€™m sure they realize itā€™s something many people look for these days.

I see there are 4 new EVO Preamps 100-400. One is balanced (the 400) and the 300 and 200 look like they are the same as the outgoing models.

https://www.primaluna-usa.com/preamplifiers

like i needed another reason. Oy.

Unless Iā€™m missing somethingā€¦ All I can see is different brand capacitor for the EVO 300 preamp vs. the Dialogue Premium preamp and a bevel around the EVO faceplate. I thought a wholesale update in and out would have made for a serious upgrade path.

XLRs donā€™t at all imply ā€œFully Balancedā€. Fully balanced is a pretty deep technical architecture and the website states nothing about being fully balanced. Check out BAT equipment for fully balanced designs.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

According to Prima Luna, it is a fully balanced design. Why they donā€™t explicitly state this on the site, I have no idea.

I expect that Kevin Deal will come out with a video or two providing a review with all of the relevant improvements. The price increase is pretty substantial so Iā€™d be disappointed if it were only the inclusion of xlr inputs and outputs.

It makes no sense to not list the balanced feature if it actually exists. The website verbiage reads just like Mr. Deal speaks, so the exclusion is inexplicable.

Yea pretty strange donā€™t see much in the way of changes\upgrades other than the 100 which looks to be the new entry level preamp.

Just because Iā€™m interested in this (as primaluna might very well be the direction Iā€™ll go when I upgrade things), I asked them about the new preamps.

Response:

ā€œThe OP of that thread is correct! We do have a new preamp that is a fully balanced circuit that has both RCA and XLR ins and outs. We will have all the information up on that line in the very near future.ā€

Thanks for checking with them directly. Good thinking.

My original info was with them, directly. In email reply to my inquiry about this very subject.