PS Audio AirLens

I’ve looked and can no longer find the Paul recent statement that AL on track for June. Perhaps he deleted or maybe it was from a video but two or three others above were confirming my recollection of the forecast. Can anyone else find it?

I remember seeing it last week, it appears to have been deleted. Let the conspiracies begin …

This might be what you remember.

1 Like

Or this about the Bridge in a Box. B2.

Nothing has been deleted.

1 Like

Maybe the post was changed to white font. :dotted_line_face: @jazznut still wants to know when he can get a unit, although I fear his saintly patience is about to expire.

1 Like

We shall see. While I understand and empathize with all the challenges of releasing a new product I still feel that the entire process should have been better handled by PS Audio. Having experience working for a luxury goods multinational I feel strongly that consumer expectations need to be well managed.

3 Likes

The June AirLens thing could be my fault. I asked if early summer meant June. I have some other system changes planned for early July.

I also was hoping to get a response from PSA on expected timing on the MK2 OS update and the official FPGA release. That would be the April MK2 OS conspiracy.

As it is, now that I am happy with how Euphony Stylus is working in my network and on various tablets, phones and computers, including multiroom streaming over WiiM Mini’s, the AirLens could fit right in. So I am still up for beta testing!

Yes, exactly my words all the time and it stays so, although I might not look like the perfect fanboy, some prefer in general here.

But I think it’s also undisputed that this communication is not completely altruistic in terms of marketing and forum traffic. I’d love to see this communication either not, generally extremely reduced or quite consistent in its frequency and content.

1 Like

No, no, I can hold on a little longer with my Bridge :wink: At least to the next rough announcement. If it was indeed „summer“, I count with „autumn“ and stay tuned. If the Airlens comes in 2024, the Converse module will already be near out of lifecycle anyway and it probably needs an Airlens II by then. That’s the other kind of aging of electronics :wink:

1 Like

Yes, but, as I’ve said on here before - I would far rather hear the interesting ins and outs of product development, warts and all, that you get with PSA than the usual wall of silence from most companies.

If we moan about it and slag off the company process too much, then we will not be hearing about the next product until it’s ready and the development cycle is all over bar the shouting. This would be a real shame (and has happened on this forum before).

3 Likes

I spoke to one of the sales reps this week (not going to say who) and was told sometime later this year for AL. Still having parts issues.

4 Likes

Good old sleuth work…

1 Like

The latest iteration of the ConversDigital streaming module seems to have a very high spec and is probably not worth reinventing. The reality is that it is designed to be used inside, not outside, the audio device.

A bit of delay is one thing, but promising and not delivering has very negative connotations. Ted eventually delivered his DAC software, but PSA have not delivered any streaming software of their own and some of us remember eLyric, which I never got to do anything.

1 Like

I see your point.

I just recall the speaker development thread - fascinating stuff but then the company/board/whatever asked PM to stop talking about it - there was a huge amount of “pissing and whinging” because it was taking a long time and was changing direction frequently (which made it all the more interesting to me!) so we then missed out on the last part of the deign story.

Complaints on here may be valid (I was disappointed when Octave server and software was cancelled), but to be too repeatedly complainy does none of us any favours in the long term.

YMMV, other opinions are available, always seek advice from an expert etc. etc.

9 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with you !!!

The reason was that, having failed to come up with an acceptable design internally (unsurprising because it’s a special skill), PSA made the inevitable and sensible decision to go to an external product design firm. PSA was probably sworn to secrecy, Paul probably suffered every day, but the result was splendid (the speaker, not Paul’s suffering)!

I waited 2+ years for PSA’s Roon-killer, as I did not use Roon. I was always after PSA building an integrated streaming/DAC product, then using it with an integrated amp. To say I was disappointed … it is slightly ironic that a company whose products I’ve used and enjoyed basically announces a product, it doesn’t arrive, I buy another product and thanks to a software upgrade out of the blue it becomes the streamer I was waiting for.

My ideal is a streamer/DAC and integrated amp pair. I was hoping PSA wold do the latter, because DACs are one of their strengths. It’s now clear it isn’t going to happen. That’s why I referred to the Lumin T3, because that’s the type of product I was hoping for.

2 Likes

As someone who is used to equipment roadmaps (out to 5/10 years) I share your frustration with the apparent wandering nature of PSA’s attention.

In my case (maybe yours now) I am probably not in the market for any of it so see it more as an interested bystander, and I’ve never been one to heckle at comedy shows :smiley:

1 Like