PS Audio LANRover

Ted’s right - it was originally posted without checking with Ted and I had made it sound as if it were something impossible for Ted to have designed - when that’s not true at all. It’s posted again sans those wrong comments.

Would this setup function as a Roon Ready endpoint, in addition to other playback formats?

Sure. Just put Roon on your computer, as you have to anyway, and their Roon Remote on your mobile device as a controller, then play away. The LANRover will transport the audio over your network to your DAC and then into your USB input.

Paul and Ted. I know it is a bit off topic, but talking about converters, would you be considering a USB to I2S converter? How about a Thunderbolt to I2S converter for the Mac users? I think that both solutions would alleviate the noise and jitter problem and give a more direct pathway for the DS and DS Junior owners. Thanks.

Considering? Yes. Planning? not at the moment. I like the idea of doing a “digital processor” which would implicitly have multiple inputs and multiple outputs and do some other handy things as well.

My set up is rather complicated USB setup compared to LanRover

I have Control PC, which has windows 10 as the OS and MinimServer loaded streaming over Network using JPLAY to an audio PC. The Audio PC has Audio optimiser in use. The main trick is that the Audio PC is in hibernate mode when playing music i.e. there is very little process working as a PC when the music is playing and making for a very quiet environment for my Audio grade USB card by PPA. (Also the audio PC has discrete linear power supplies to SSD and outboard pcie PPA USB card..)

My Audio PC is an intel NUC in a silent case I have played around delimiting the NUC with minimal electronic stress to lower noise such as limiting the CPU cores and turning off hyper threading the sound is marvellous and the best I have heard yet in fact I feel it provides the sound I use to hear in records but with added dynamics. Also there is no doubt when I engage multiwave these days you hear the difference and my other friends do to so easily heard really previously there was some doubts and you were just not 100% certain. The effect is more suited to certain recordings.

Anyway why did I say all of that - it’s just that Pauls new device LanRover is way elegant; way less expensive and not complex compared to my USB setup. I will try the LanRover at some stage, and if the audio result is same or better of course I would change out my complicated solution to the LanRover

Can’t wait for Torrey’s

fffccc said Paul and Ted. I know it is a bit off topic, but talking about converters, would you be considering a USB to I2S converter? How about a Thunderbolt to I2S converter for the Mac users? I think that both solutions would alleviate the noise and jitter problem and give a more direct pathway for the DS and DS Junior owners. Thanks.
The Audiobyte Hydra-z is a very high quality USB to I2S converter. I first heard about it in a posting by Frode over a year ago and have been using one ever since to convert the USB signal from my Auralic Aries to I2S.

Interesting, I was about to order a bridge II. USB cables are seriously limiting my lifestyle.

I don’t have a NAS, just a PC running windows 10 with jriver, etc. The PC is not used for anything else most of the time. I use iWhatevers for control.

I would like to run two DACs at the same time, one for the DS, the other a USB headphone DAC (as two linked zones). And I want to put the PC in the basement or a closet. The bridge II decouples the DS from the PC, but I’m still left with the headphone DAC. LAN Rover looks like it might enable me to decouple both DACs from the PC.

I guess I would need 4 LAN rover boxes for that, a pair for each USB connection? Or is LAN Rover going to be tied exclusively to use with a PS Audio DAC?

-stevew

DenisD said

The Audiobyte Hydra-z is a very high quality USB to I2S converter. I first heard about it in a posting by Frode over a year ago and have been using one ever since to convert the USB signal from my Auralic Aries to I2S.

The Bridge II won’t do raw DSD. Would the Audiobyte Hydra-z handle raw DSD from USB - I2S?

Tak said
DenisD said

The Bridge II won’t do raw DSD. Would the Audiobyte Hydra-z handle raw DSD from USB - I2S?

DSD 2.8 MHz (DSD64) - DoP, native 5.6 MHz (DSD128) - DoP, native 11.2 MHz (DSD256) - native (via ASIO) 22.5 MHz (DSD512) - native (via ASIO)

Just wondering if the LANRover is still in the works, and if so, what is the ETA? Thanks!

It is indeed. Thanks for asking. Hoping it’ll see the light of day next month. July. I can’t be without mine in Music Room One.

I also like the idea of a thunderbolt to I2S. Thunderbolt is essentially PCIE done externally. I bet it would sound amazing.

I tried the Intona USB Galvanic USB Isolator and it worked wonders. http://intona.eu/en/products
I’m curious about the LanRover. However, as a Single PC user I don’t see any reason for me to get the LanRover at this point. Also, having to add two boxes is a minus. (Perhaps, one box could be integrated as Bridge III(?) in the future…) Any thoughts?

The biggest reason for adding the LANRover is sound quality. OMG, it is just unthinkable to listen to my stereo without it in place. I can instantly tell if it’s been removed. Once you hear what this device does to the sound there’s no going back.

That you can also separate the computer from the DAC is a secondary benefit. The biggest is the improved sound quality.

Paul,

For LANRover; Have you tried Source - (LR) USB - Ethernet - Wifi - Ethernet Bridge* - (LR) Ethernet - USB - DS DAC?

*(802.11ac, 5GHz)

Paul McGowan said The biggest reason for adding the LANRover is sound quality. OMG, it is just unthinkable to listen to my stereo without it in place. I can instantly tell if it's been removed. Once you hear what this device does to the sound there's no going back.

That you can also separate the computer from the DAC is a secondary benefit. The biggest is the improved sound quality.

Paul,

Refresh my memory, will the LANRover need a dedicated ethernet cable, or will it use the LAN, or can it do both? Because currently trying to use the LAN, 3 10gb switches (HP commercial switches) using CAT7 cables, from a laptop with MC21 to the DSJr. DAC bridge 2 and I still get constant dropouts. A dedicated CAT7 cable would probably work much better.

Just watched the video and I’m pretty excited. Just want to make sure I understand this correctly…

I’m running Roonserver on my HTPC connected to the DS DAC via USB today. (I have a Bridge 2 also but we’ll set that aside). USB out from computer to LanRover #1, then Cat5 to my network hub/modem. (1gb switch in place). Cat5 then goes in to LanRover #2, and output is USB to DS DAC. So far correct?

For the DS DAC to operate, do you still need the PS Audio USB driver installed on the HTPC? I’m assuming so, but just checking. Also, do we know the input voltage of the LANRover for those that would like to replace the wall wart with a LPS?

Who gets to beta??

scirica said Just watched the video and I'm pretty excited. Just want to make sure I understand this correctly...

I’m running Roonserver on my HTPC connected to the DS DAC via USB today. (I have a Bridge 2 also but we’ll set that aside). USB out from computer to LanRover #1, then Cat5 to my network hub/modem. (1gb switch in place). Cat5 then goes in to LanRover #2, and output is USB to DS DAC. So far correct?

For the DS DAC to operate, do you still need the PS Audio USB driver installed on the HTPC? I’m assuming so, but just checking. Also, do we know the input voltage of the LANRover for those that would like to replace the wall wart with a LPS?

Who gets to beta??

Good post.

Using LANRover will render the BII redundant, IMO (providing your source is USB).

scirica said Just watched the video and I'm pretty excited. Just want to make sure I understand this correctly...

Who gets to beta??

We should be putting calls out for beta testers next month.