PS Audio LANRover

scirica said Just watched the video and I'm pretty excited. Just want to make sure I understand this correctly...

I’m running Roonserver on my HTPC connected to the DS DAC via USB today. (I have a Bridge 2 also but we’ll set that aside). USB out from computer to LanRover #1, then Cat5 to my network hub/modem. (1gb switch in place). Cat5 then goes in to LanRover #2, and output is USB to DS DAC. So far correct?

For the DS DAC to operate, do you still need the PS Audio USB driver installed on the HTPC? I’m assuming so, but just checking. Also, do we know the input voltage of the LANRover for those that would like to replace the wall wart with a LPS?

Who gets to beta??

David said

Paul,

Refresh my memory, will the LANRover need a dedicated ethernet cable, or will it use the LAN, or can it do both? Because currently trying to use the LAN, 3 10gb switches (HP commercial switches) using CAT7 cables, from a laptop with MC21 to the DSJr. DAC bridge 2 and I still get constant dropouts. A dedicated CAT7 cable would probably work much better.

No, it uses the LAN. Or, a dedicated cable, but what’s unique about this guy is that it seamlessly goes over the LAN. And it sounds simply amazing. Can’t live without it. I am addicted.

Paul McGowan said
scirica said Just watched the video and I'm pretty excited. Just want to make sure I understand this correctly...

I’m running Roonserver on my HTPC connected to the DS DAC via USB today. (I have a Bridge 2 also but we’ll set that aside). USB out from computer to LanRover #1, then Cat5 to my network hub/modem. (1gb switch in place). Cat5 then goes in to LanRover #2, and output is USB to DS DAC. So far correct?

For the DS DAC to operate, do you still need the PS Audio USB driver installed on the HTPC? I’m assuming so, but just checking. Also, do we know the input voltage of the LANRover for those that would like to replace the wall wart with a LPS?

Who gets to beta??

We should be putting calls out for beta testers next month.

Would love to join that beta test!!

I’d love to be a Beta tester!happy-132_gifhappy-132_gifhappy-132_gifhappy-132_gif

Paul McGowan said The biggest reason for adding the LANRover is sound quality. OMG, it is just unthinkable to listen to my stereo without it in place. I can instantly tell if it's been removed. Once you hear what this device does to the sound there's no going back.

That you can also separate the computer from the DAC is a secondary benefit. The biggest is the improved sound quality.

Thanks. Would it make sense to connect the Intona USB Isolator with the LANRover?

I am not familiar with it but there should be little advantage in anything extra added to the LANRover.

I will be buying one set of these to put between my HTPC and my Bryston DAC. Directstream will be fed by Roon via Bridge II. Will be an interesting comparison.

Paul

In your listening test evaluation of the LANRover it would be very interesting if you could compare the USB/LANRover setup with this simpler setup I use:

NAS > wire ethernet > wireless bridge > wire ethernet > optical fibre isolation > wire ethernet > DS with Bridge II

I suggest this because the components needed for the optical fibre isolation (2 x ethernet-to-fibre converters and 1m(say) optical fibre pair) cost less than $100 and are very easy to install.

Incidentally I noted an improvement in sound quality when I increased the distance between the DAC and the wireless bridge “receiver” from 0.5m to 3m. You might like to check this out with the LANRover.

BTW thanks again for the superb Torreys SQ.

Paul,

Is this device similar to the LanRover?

http://www.audiostream.com/content/sonore-simple-design-microrendu

Allan

This is a renderer with a USB/DAC connection so no.

I couldn’t wait for the LANRover so i bought the StarTech USB 2.0 Extender over Gigabit Ethernet. The StarTech USB 2.0 Extender over Gigabit Ethernet is then connected to a Singxer SU-1 USB digital interface with XMOS XU208 who outputs I2S to my PS DirectStream Dac.

I first added the StarTech USB 2.0 Extender and the improvement was big. After that I added the Singxer SU-1 and now my system has not sounded better even though I use a cheap HDMI cable.

Just a question for the PS Audio team. What will the technical difference be between the Land Rover and the StarTech USB 2.0 Extender? Paul said it is based on the StarTech but more adopted to the audio or something like that. In what way?

Well, it’s designed by the same company but that’s about where the similarities end.

LANRover is a project we’ve been working on for close to a year with the company and together we came up with a product specific to high-end audio. There are a number of advantages over even a good extender like the Star Tech.

LANRover uses the newest GE-LAN capabilities and is the only product on the market that can tap into existing wired infrastructure in the home. This enables users to bypass putting in a dedicated cable run for the USB extender if there is LAN cabling available. The Star Tech requires a dedicated Ethernet cable to extend its range. LANRover works perfectly through switches, routers and multiple lengths of connections and cabling.

But perhaps the most important to our customers and to its use is sound quality. Here we worked hard to increase buffer size, reduce jitter and increase isolation so that regardless of how you connect LANRover (with a 1 foot CAT-5 or hundreds of meters over a network), the computer and USB are completely isolated from each other.

The Star Tech type device started us on this journey, but the customized board and firmware in LANRover is a country mile away from any other product I have had any experience with.

It’s truly a mind-blowing experience to hear the improvement. I cannot live without mine in the system and know instantly when it is out.

Paul McGowan said

LANRover uses the newest GE-LAN capabilities and is the only product on the market that can tap into existing wired infrastructure in the home. This enables users to bypass putting in a dedicated cable run for the USB extender if there is LAN cabling available. The Star Tech requires a dedicated Ethernet cable to extend its range. LANRover works perfectly through switches, routers and multiple lengths of connections and cabling.

My StarTech.com 4 Port USB 2.0 over LAN or Direct Cat5e (USB2G4LEXT2 4-Port USB 2.0) taps into my existing wired infrastructure. So LanRover can't be the only product that can use existing wired infrastucture.

Still waiting for my invoice so I can purchase this wonderful product?? Enough teasing already. I want this for my windows-based music server!!

Is the Bridge II still the best sounding solution? Or would one need to move from bridge II to LANRover set up for best networking sound?

Bridge is still the best option overall - though LANRover does bring in new dynamics.

The Bridge is limited to UPnP and Roon. That has a lot of upside, but downside limitations too.

LANRover sounds nearly as good (close actually) but has the added advantage of playing anything your computer can - anything. So, YouTube to Spotify, to Tidal, iTunes, to… whatever. Unrestricted.

Hope that helps answer the question.

scirica said Still waiting for my invoice so I can purchase this wonderful product?? Enough teasing already. I want this for my windows-based music server!!
I'll try and announce beta testing for LANRover next week - stay tuned. The webpages are finished and all the info's up.

You can see it all here.

Paul McGowan said
scirica said Still waiting for my invoice so I can purchase this wonderful product?? Enough teasing already. I want this for my windows-based music server!!
I'll try and announce beta testing for LANRover next week - stay tuned. The webpages are finished and all the info's up.

You can see it all here.

Paul, would you expect it to improve sq with the Sonore uRendu supposedly already USB optomized.

Yes, because there’s little you can do to USB to optimize it when it is still directly connected to the DAC. That’s the problem.

USB needs to be completely isolated from the DAC without any direct connection.

Paul McGowan said Yes, because there's little you can do to USB to optimize it when it is still directly connected to the DAC. That's the problem.

USB needs to be completely isolated from the DAC without any direct connection.

I’ll be a buyer then.