PST Maintenance required?

Now that it has moved to occur randomly on various discs if it is not reasonable to clean the lens it may need a trip home. :frowning:

1 Like

One Spin of this 'ought to clean 'er up, kinda like burning the carbon off the spark-plugs. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

You funny
Ps–“all” my Christmas music is on vinyl.

1 Like

Yup. I’ll box it up after the new year.
I should say that, as I explained to the kind gentleman at PSA today, this is random and it can go weeks never happening. Too bad there isn’t a fault code port like under every dashboard now.

Yes, an OBDII port would be great.

If it goes for weeks at a time between instances I doubt it is a cleaning issue. When I have had a problem related to a dirty lens the instances were pretty common. A little bit of dust/hair/crud can be a headache.

The problem is, if the techs can’t duplicate the issue, it might make it difficult to figure out what’s going on.

My PST was unresponsive this morning, via the remote or buttons on the unit. Had to power it off and back on again, to bring it back to life.

Is there a transport bug going around?

1 Like

This is concerning. I’m on the list for a PST delivery “early next year.” Surely the backlog and parts supply issues can’t be good for Quality Assurance, especially if the original design has these kind of bugs.

It would be especially comforting to hear from PSA they found the bug and have addressed with all current versions as well as those still to be built.

In any case, I still prefer PSA over any other company for my HiFi addiction.

Tom

1 Like

It’s a freezing bug that we’re aware of. Barry is still at work tracking it down to see why it’s happening. It maybe happens to me once every 3-5 weeks. I stream for the most part, but an idea of how often it happens.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight. If that is the worst of the bugs I experience when I get my PST, then I am not too worried.

Cheers!

I seem to have just lost the ability to pass DSD over to the DSD DAC. I’ll mess with it tomorrow.

1 Like

You know the drill, switch off, switch on.

1 Like

Yes, I tried that several times. Turns out it was a particular SACD that only read as a cd. Others work fine.

Always running into something new. First time I’ve had a problematic SACD ever.

EDIT to add: Duyh. When I went to put that disc away I realize it wasn’t even an SACD. I have two copies of Barney Wilen’s "Le Ca: New York Romance, both in mostly brown LP facsimile housings with slightly varied cover photos of Wilen with his companion Marie Moor on a hotel bed. One is an SACD one a Redbook cd. . . and I thought I had put the SACD in but it was the cd.

I should be more careful. And perhaps not have so many duplicate copies of favorite sessions.

4 Likes

I can imagine that happening. I have more copies of Time Out, Kind of Blue and Cantate Domino in various formats than I can probably name from memory. But so far I haven’t misfiled them (that I know of :thinking:).

2 Likes

Well, my collection is 80 percent chaos. I have most of my Blue Note, Bethlehem, and Impulse labels all together as a label but not alphabetized. I have most of my Miles, Mingus, Monk and Ellington titles together, randomly stuck together. I have most of my LP facsimile cds and SACDs together. The rest is sort of just willy-nilly including about a quarter of the collection in a storage unit.

I like it this way. I have to peruse the collection regularly and as a result I find things to listen to that I might not have reached for had they been in a specific place. My wife says this mirrors how my mind is. She keeps telling me that I’m “brilliant” (which she says she was told about me by my siblings first and then came to believe) but “scatter-brained” (her own observation).

She’s at least right about the scatter-brained part. I’m firing on all cylinders but I may need a new timing belt.

5 Likes

Ha, and I thought I was the only one. I got a chuckle out of that.

2 Likes

I can completely relate as I continue to reorganize my collection. It has turned out to be overwhelming at times. I have unearthed rarities and duplicates beyond my wildest dreams. Placing them in my Discogs database and learning casual acquisitions from the 70s are worth quite a bit today. No I’m not selling.

This particular one is not a jazz title but makes my point:

Or this jazz title:

Wow

1 Like

Yes, I keep finding the odd unintentional duplicate too. I don’t pay attention to values much. And I rarely sell and if I do I try to offer them at lower than usual prices. I’m sort of a numbskull when it comes to money among other things.

Took a detour from jazz with a Dylan title and in the midst made the mistake of answering the phone and as a result. . . I now have a honey-do list. Sigh.

1 Like

In general I don’t sell them, typically provide as gifts. As my collection is placed in a Discogs database for insurance reasons the value more less pops out at me. Every once and a while get surprised.

1 Like

Is this done using a “list”? I wasn’t aware of this feature, but a quick viewing indicated you enter one at a time. Not going to work for me. I have my 3000+ CDs in a Microsoft Access database. Works Ok, but my copy of Access is getting old (2013) and to upgrade you have to buy the full Office Suite to get Access. I know there are other databases, but I’m hesitant to make the leap.