Quintessential J.S. Bach, recommendations please

For a youngster, on her way to becoming a music lover.
Vinyl or cd is fine.

Just an idea out of Bach’s large opus … I appreciate Harnoncourt’s Approach very much, also with Bach’s Magnificat. You’ll find his best recording of that piece in youtube …

1 Like

I love Bach’s Chaccone for violin!

1 Like

Bach’s Chaconne for Violin Solo is my favourite music peace at all; also transliterated for other instruments as lute, harp or piano …

1 Like

I am certainly a noob and no expert but I enjoy this one.

And Hilary Haan Sonatas is really good too.

2 Likes

By all measures, Hilary Hahn is an amazing violinist :+1:t2:

The violin concertos (including the one for two violins). Beautiful music, and eminently approachable.

1 Like

The first track on this CD has a beautiful version transcribed for violin and piano. Performed using authentic instruments from 1789 and 1837 :star_struck: I think Robert Schumann did the transcription, and every time I listen to it, I say wow!

2 Likes

I did not know about Schumann’s transcription. Great news. Busoni did also one for Piano. But as normal with him, using several octaves, to push the sound …

1 Like

Here is the youtube link to Bach’s Magnificat. This Recording is absolutely great in my opinion. Harnoncourt at its best: Johann Sebastian Bach: Magnificat in D major, BWV 243 - Nikolaus Harnoncourt (HD 1080p) - YouTube

1 Like

1 Like

After a good bit of noodling, reading, listening, we’ve landed on these.
Thoughts?

4 Likes

Excellent choices.

Be aware the Goldbergs are a bit intellectual, but fun to read/learn about if she leans a bit toward the nerdy.

1 Like

She’s like a sponge. Thanks, Elk

2 Likes

Perfect!

She will enjoy all of these. A great place to start.

2 Likes

If she enjoys the Goldbergs and other nerdy stuff, I suggest the book Gödel, Escher, Bach. It is a hoot.

3 Likes

Gramophone have a rolling “50 Best” list, which is here:

I would add these:

kenneth-gilbert-das-wohltemperierte-klavier-1-and-2-cover-art
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiNzk5NjAwMS4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MzAwfSwianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo2NX0sInRvRm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyJ9LCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE0NjQ3OTgxMzR9

1 Like

Thanks again. I think her uncle will like that book too.

1 Like

First step in Bach for a youngster, I believe orchestral music is a good choice.
Brandenburg concertos, in the exhilarating performance by Reinhard Goebel & Musica Antiqua Köln (Archiv Produktion)
And the four Orchestral Suites ; numerous recordings. Trevor Pinnock & English Concert is an easy way.
For keyboard, I wouldn’t advise the labyrinthic Well-Tempered, but better the Goldberg Variations, and the English Suites (on piano, Ivo Pogorelich is ruling the game).

Playing and sound extraordinary.

2 Likes