Some outstanding Beethoven

I just downloaded the newly released album of Beethoven’s 3rd piano concerto by Yevgeny Sudbin with Osmo Vänskä and the Minnesota Orchestra, paired with Mozart’s piano concerto no. 24, both in C minor. The sound is demonstration-class throughout, with a superbly recorded piano. The Mozart is very good, but I find the Beethoven exceptional; this performance is now on my “top 10” list. It’s on BIS and, as they usually do, for a few days you can buy the 24/96 (which I listened to) for the same price as the 16/44. As usual when celebrating a new release, they have offered a 30% discount on a disc by the same artist: Sudbin’s album of Chopin (which I have not yet listened to, but is almost certainly an excellent value at the price). Get these before the discounts vanish.

And, speaking of Russians channeling Beethoven: check out the reissue of Sviatoslav Richter’s Beethoven concerto #1 with the Boston Symphony, from HDTT. Outstanding sound with only a tiny bit of tape hiss to tell you it was recorded 60+ years ago–amazing. Richter’s playing is as committed and energetic as Sudbin’s. Happy Birthday, Beethoven (yes, I know it’s Dec. 16th, but who’s counting at this point).

magister said: . . . the newly released album of Beethoven's 3rd piano concerto by Yevgeny Sudbin with Osmo Vänskä and the Minnesota Orchestra

It is excellent.

I really like the symphonies as well - wonderfully done with superb performances and sound.

Today is the last day to get their “BIS Turns 40” discount. Any recommendations from their list of 40 titles?

I really like Suzuki’s recordings of Bach with the Bach Collegium Japan. I have almost the complete set (roughly 50 albums). Very nice interpretations, good soloists, excellent sound. His recording of the Mass in b minor is wonderful!

Arvo Pärt’s – Spiegel im Spiegel is well regarded. I am not a fan as I do not appreciate floaty music such as his. I am in the minority. The sound is excellent with very good performances. Listen to a bit of Pärt’s music on line. You may really like it. He is highly respected as a modern composer.

Vanska’s recordings of Sibelius are always excellent. His recording of the Beethoven 9 with the Minnesota Orchestra is spectacular in performance and sound.

I second Elk’s comments. In addition, I have been listening recently to the music of Carl Maria von Weber. Not as well known as Mozart, Haydn, or Beethoven, he seems to me to have the structural elegance and symmetry of the classical period combined with the more overtly emotional Romantic style. His clarinet concertos by Martin Fröst are available at the 40% discount; if you like Weber, BIS also has nice album of his overtures (not on sale).

Ronald Brautigam is recording all the Mozart concertos on fortepiano; very good performances and sound. You can try one of them that is available with the discount.

Finally, Yevgeny Sudbin’s Beethoven piano concertos 4/5 with Vänskä and the Minnesota Orchestra. A great recording, unbeatable at 40% off.

Thanks, fellas! I’ll have to hit them before midnight. :-bd

I have wondered: how do eClassical and other web sites that offer limited-time deals work? Can their servers tell what time zone you are logging in from and give the deal if it’s before midnight your time? They must have some way to deal with this.

Interesting thought. I’m sure the servers can tell. I bet the companies are also pretty lenient as to time deadlines.