Recommend HDMI cable using the new PST

It will be like Waiting for Godot, ordering an RAL cable that is. Personally, I’d pursue an entirely different option, …

The Pink Faun, Inakustik or even a Wire World.

I still have an RAL and I do prefer the sound of the HT Magic.

One end of my HT cable came off altogether a few months into its existence in my world. I threw it in the trash. Was a good cable, not the best I’ve heard, and the worst assembled I’ve had.

I have the same loose connection with the Harmonic Technology HDMI cable.
Only into the PST. Into the DSD is fine.
So, who is at fault, the cable’s connector or the PST’s connector.

Seems like if the exact same connector used on the DSD was on the PST there would not be a problem?

Good point. The connector into my DSD is fine as well. However the stock HDMI cable I had from my DMP has a tight connection in both the PST and DSD.

I would try my squeeze method. I’m only talking about light pressure increasing the vertical dimension by a fraction of a millimeter; a skosh, a smidgen, a teenee bit, a paint thickness—not a lot.

I might just give that a try. Duckbill pliers and a piece of leather wrapped around the connector to keep it from getting scratched.

Does i2s interface use all conductors in the hdmi cable? If we do it ourselves, is it enough to use 3 conductors?

Bought my Harmonic Technology HDMI Magic cable new from the Cable Company, no issues with fit or connection at all. But unlike RonP, I preferred AQ Vodka over the HT. But now with Sunlight I will give the HT another audition.

1 Like

Are you using the HT with a PS Audio PST? And how long ago did you buy it? I’m wondering if the connectors are different.
I like the sound of the HT to try a new one if the connectors are improved.

1 Like

Yes, using with PST. Purchased new 01/06/21 from The Cable Company.

Harmonic Technology Magic HDMI Cable1.0 meter $ 220.00

2 Likes

Thanks Chuck.

Thank you. I’ll be returning the used HT I purchased from The Music Room and purchase a new one.

1 Like

I was able to compare the Diamond HDMI to the Vodka today using my modified OPPO 203 and I have to back track a little. I said I don’t know if I could justify the price difference between the Vodka and the Diamond. Still somewhat true if you are using the Music Direct clearance price of the Vodka but if I considered the original price tag of the Vodka HDMI than yes the Diamond is worth the extra cost! The percussion, bass, and vocals had greater transparency and separation with the diamond. Particularly percussion and background sounds had greater presence. I would say the Diamond sound is more accurate and lifelike. I could hear the guitar strings being plucked with the Diamond. The Vodka sounds good but the Diamond is performance is at a higher level. I know AQ DIAMOND is no longer a current model but if you can get one on the used market it might be easier than getting a new RAL I2S cable.

If miraculously the RAL arrives I will compare it to the Diamond.

2 Likes

I would advise to try Nordost Cables. Nordost Heimdall 2 is the sweet post, Nordost Valhalla 2 the crazy one.

I do not understand the interest of 48K cables in audio but am ready to learn.

I have AQ DIAMOND and consider the COFFEE as the sweet spot. Used Mocha (100% same as COFFEE but limited at 1m) at $120 a meter a just a steal. Best bagain eer

3 Likes

Hello Jack,

If I’m not mistaken the Coffee and Vodka are basically the same cable minus the 72v DBS.

If I’m not mistaken, the answer is yes. I had the chance to buy some mocha. So I stuck to coffee

1 Like

You’re 100% right. But unfortunately not the same price range

1 Like

Didn’t realize until today that there are two tiers to each of the AudioQuest HDMI cables. Do you know if you have the higher tier Vodka cable or not?

They have Vodka 48 and eARC. I don’t think the lower cost eARC can be used or I2S.