Recommend HDMI cable using the new PST

I purchased at Music Direct this past December at closeout price for $119. Most likely clearing out the older model.

I switched to the HT Magic cable last night, and I see what others are saying. Connects just fine, but not as snug as AQ or PS cables.

Oddly enough, I prefer the AQ Vodka when using my vintage (Made in USA) Harmonic Technology Pro-9 Reference SE speaker cables. HT Magic has better synergy with my Audio Envy SP10 speaker cables. Go figure.

You give a good example of why having all cables from the same manufacturer may seem to make sense (and in some cases it does) but itā€™s not a universal truth.

I tried reversing the HT cable around just to see if the DAC end of the cable fits tighter into the PST, and it does. Of course the cable isnā€™t orientated properly this way, and now the loose connection is on the DAC instead of the PST. I also think itā€™s more than just a loose connection, because sometimes I get horrible static and a clicking sound even when the green lights on the DAC indicate I have a connection.

Going to try the AudioQuest Thunderbolt cable and compare it to the HT.

Hi paul172, have you received your cable from Brad? I put in a dispute with PayPal along with my bank last week, and today I received notification from Usps with a tracking #.

Yes a tracking number and nothing since. The message says waiting for shipper. They might be waiting three months for that package.

Brad continues to get away with his crappy service because audiophiles, despite knowing his reputation, continue to place orders with him.

1 Like

Brad needs to start deliveringā€¦ PayPal will only allow so many reversals/complaints until they shut him offā€¦ he canā€™t be that far off by now.

His business model is appalling! Take orders, send a tracking # (which is fake as thereā€™s no real packageā€¦), promise delivery dates about a gazillion times (and each time not deliver), force the buyer to file a complaint (PayPal, credit card, etc.) and then only delivery a few of thoseā€¦

Iā€™m never going to order from Brad again (he never delivered and I had to get my money back via PayPalā€¦ I basically extended Brad a 4 months credit)ā€¦

Brad does make one of the best sounding hdmi cables available, in my opinion. I know nothing of any of his other products except his umbilical cable for my Pass Labs preamp, which also excellent.
But his business style is bizarre and I would never place an order with him again; there are other great cables from which to choose.
He needs to be bought out buy a grown up.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer. PayPal is waiting till June 6, but along with that I have my bank on it also. Usps says they are waiting for the goods, so it seems we both are in the same boat

Wishing you the best of luck.

My storyā€¦
Ordered Jan 24
USPS tracking info Jan 25
First promised deliver early March
Second promised deliver Easter week

Then nothingā€¦ no answers at all. Filed a complaint with PayPal and submitted copies of all email communication
PayPal asked Brad for input and he didnā€™t even respond to themā€¦

Got my money back, but I basically extended Brad a 4 months loan interest freeā€¦

Just received my cable from Brad, this was after notifying PayPal and my bank to open a dispute against RAL. The hdmi cable fits perfectly, and sounds amazing.

5 Likes

Congrats. When did you order? End of February I just saw in a earlier post.

Did you receive yours?

No sir. The USPS tracking says awaiting package.

Iā€™m not a believer in Uber-Expensive digital cables. Coax, HDMI, Optical. Analog Cables (Speakers/Line Level) do make a difference but to me so subtle, itā€™s not worth it.

Now saying that, I am an AudioQuest Fanboy and all my HDMI is Cinnamon, all my interconnects are Red River & Mackenzie, and my Speaker Cable is Rocket 33. I bought these Cables purely for their build Quality only. Sonically, they could be made out of unobtanium and I wouldnā€™t know the difference.

Again, itā€™s my opinion. Not saying thatā€™s is correct, but thatā€™s me.

Do HDMI cables benefit from break-in like alnalog cables? I would imagine so, but have no previous experience with breaking them in.
Trying a new Audioquest ThunderBird 48, but on the fence about the sound.
Definitely more revealing of fine detail in the treble region, without drawing too much attention to itself, but the midrange is sounding a little thin right now.

Lyrics are much more intelligible now, which is a plus. Kinda nice to hear the clear annunciation of lyrics which were obscured before.
This cable is also way more dynamic than the stock PS Audio HDMI cable and the Harmonic Technology magic cable I previously had.

Edit: After playing music and letting this cable settle in for a couple of hours itā€™s showing great promise.
Visceral impact, fine detail, and the expansive soundstage are really quite impressive. I can feel the notes resonating in my body more strongly than before, and the soundstage at times seems to float over my head on certain recordings.
Definitely hearing more of the magic the PST and Sunshine bring to the table.

Also want to mention the fit and finish of this cable is top notch. The connections on both ends are very snug, but some how seem to glide effortlessly into the component, where as with other HDMI cables lā€™ve always had to hold my mouth just right while I wiggle the cable up and down to get it to go in.

My AQ Coffee HDMI sounded thin at beginning too. I left the digital gears on for days before it sounds good.
I ordered the Firebird 48 in March, and itā€™s still not ready to ship yet. Now I heard I may have to wait a few more weeks.

By the end of the day the Thunderbird cable sounded amazing in everyway. If the Firebird sounds better, youā€™re in for a real treat.

ā€œprevious versionā€ MOCHA : discounted coffee, only 1m available, was a few meters less than 1m hence the discount.

Iā€™m not a big fan of AQ numeric cables.

Worth trying:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/cable-hdmi-hdmi-21/cable-hdmi-21-ultra-hd-8k-4320p-48gbps-cuivre-occ-plaque-argent-15m-p-13624.html

RAL arrived yesterday. 4 months to the day that is was ordered.

3 Likes