Recommendation For CD Storage

That looks like a great idea, though I’d reserve judgment until I saw for myself how effectively you can still see the spine (product videos don’t always reflect real-life results). Might be worth an initial order of their minimum quantity to try as an experiment.

Mmm in my honest opinion this solution has a limit: searching CDs might be so difficult to read titles. It reminds me those CDs not really original bought on the go from some street sellers.
If I collect hundreds of CDs I want them well shown and organized, it’s a question of perceived value just looking at the space they take in a room. Like vinyls. It must be easy searching for one I want to listen to or simply reading one by one to decide which one can inspire me.

yes, you can’t read the spine nearly as easy, and i usually only replace the standard plastic CD cases, not deluxe versions, or nice cardboard covers/nicer SACDs, etc But when you have 5 or 10 or more of same artist, it really saves alot of space and weight, and easy to find. i replaced over 1,000 plastic cd cases almost 2 years ago, very happy w results. cheap enough to try out. I am much happier with the CD inner sleeve holder also.

1 Like

I need to admit it’s a clever idea. Hope my wife never read this post, she could convince me to do the same instantly!

I bought a couple thousand. Put all my ripped CDs in deep storage using these sleeves. My tiny sweetheart did all the work. Nothing is perfect (so many different cd configurations); however, they work fantastic.

1 Like

Their primary audio system is a decades old Yamaha integrated, Yamaha CD player and a pair of Definitive Tech speakers plus many Sonos speakers.

1 Like

I’m kind of late to this post, but we use some Amish built cabinets for ours. They have sliders on the shelves to help hold sections of CDs in place.

4 Likes

Hello Vitus,
I always admire thoughtful design. Your cabinet not only solves your storage needs, it appears beautifully executed, and (based upon the location between a door, a window and switches above) was designed with a great deal of imagination and measurement. Wonderful!

• Jeffrey in Philadelphia
1 Like

I bought whatever quantity was the minimum order, and I’ve used almost half so far. They work reasonably well in my CD drawers. I just have to get over the admittedly irrational feeling I have that tossing the old jewel cases will reduce the albums’ resale value. Of course, I could put that fear to use, and decide that if I think there’s any chance I’d want to eventually get rid of a particular album, just pull it out and sell it now.

1 Like

Funny, used CDs have value?

Ones that are rare and out of print?
Yes

Not much, it’s true. I culled out about 300 or so to sell, and before taking them to Half-Price Books and getting maybe $50 for the lot, I pulled out about 20 to try to sell individually on ebay. I think about 8 or 10 have sold so far for about $175 total. Admittedly, most of that was from someone who managed to bid up one particular SACD to over $50 despite the fact that it’s still available new for around $35-$40. It’s disheartening to see most of them go for a dollar or two, but that’s better than the next-to-nothing I’d get at the bookstore.

1 Like

I love to spin them and listen to them. I didn’t buy them as an investment. With the right transport they sound wonderful.

6 Likes

The right speakers help too :wink:

2 Likes

Ethosnocicity.

2 Likes

So this solution doesn’t apply to most of us but I found it interesting.

Music critic David Hurwitz just completed a renovation to include a large CD storage solution / room.

This video is a review but the first 4:00 are about his new CD room.

I assume the vast majority of his massive library are provided free-of-charge by labels.

1 Like

“The joy of double depth storage …”? I don’t think so unless you’re never going to look for those back row CDs. And what’s with all the space in the middle of the room?

2 Likes

Good point. I would have had aisles built.

1 Like

Double depth makes zero sense to me. Just box up the back rows, you’ll likely never see them.

3 Likes

is this an artsy store?

(of course it isn’t)