Redcloud for DirectStream Junior is live

My adventure with Redcloud installation went like this.

Attempt 1: First I downloaded Redcloud and installed it per instructions. When I powered up the DSJ, the panel light blinked about six times and then the DSJ booted. I found that the Redcloud install program vandalized my version-release number setting it to Huron 0.0.0 without changing anything else that I noticed. I played a few tracks with the attenuator out and the telltale hissing told me that I was not running Redcloud.

Attempt 2: Next I tried installing Redcloud over Huron 0.0.0 figuring not many people in the world could say they had done that. This time I used a different USB stick – in case that had anything to do with the first failure. I didn’t see anything happen at all. The DSJ panel light didn’t blink and when the DSJ booted, I was still running Huron 0.0.0.

Attempt 3: I tried installing a clean copy of Huron from the website to replace Huron 0.0.0. Because computer programs usually work when asked to do something senseless, this worked. The DSJ panel light blinked for about a minute and then Junior booted into Huron 3.2.11.

Attempt 4: Finally I tried to install Redcloud to replace my newly installed Huron 2.3.11 – on the surface this is exactly what I tried to do in Attempt 1. Since no computer program produces the same result twice when processing the same input over and over, everything worked on the second try: the panel light blinked for a minute or so and when the smoke cleared I was running Redcloud… 0.0.0! Yep, it’s true. My version screen says Redcloud 0.0.0. Other items on the screen have more realistic numbers.

I love it that I can now play quiet music without noise and without the compressed dynamics that came with “attenuator in.” I also love it that I can get these improvements by a convenient software download. PS Audio is showing the music world that this can be done.

If an expert in the field would come down here and suggest which version of DSJ software I am most likely to be running, I would appreciate that too.

It’s the same thing here with DSJ: Redcloud 0.0.0. - is this the correct version?

Everything went smooth in first attempt here even with the first published (as I understand it) non-forced version of Redcloud…

Coming from Huron and Bridge 2.9.14 and using a USB stick freshly formatted with fat.

-> Shut down the DSjr
-> Plugged in USB
-> Turned on the DSjr
-> Waiting while blinking “nail-bitingly” long :slight_smile:
-> New Redcloud loaded!.

After the successful upgrade to Redcloud, and a restart, I did the Bridge II upgrade also went without a hitch.

Huge thank you to the PSA team for providing the upgrades and continuously improving on an already great product.

Peace, love, and happy listening, to everyone from Denmark.

Redcloud is in for me, had to downgrade to Yale before, and lost bridge connection with my Mac/Roon after (had to power on/off 3 times the Junior, then it seems to work fine now…)

Thanks to Paul, Ted and all the others that made this upgrade possible.

It’s gonna be a enjoyable weekend :wink:

ps: huron downgrade to yale, yale upgrade to redcloud

hifierik said

It’s the same thing here with DSJ: Redcloud 0.0.0. - is this the correct version?

The 0.0.0 is a part of the upgrade brain damage. Most people aren’t looking at their version numbers before the upgrade, but if they did, many would see the 0.0.0 which isn’t what was there after the last upgrade. AFAIK the 0.0.0 won’t affect anything except how easy it is to upgrade next time.

I’m still having no luck. Have reformatted drive many times. After first attempt to install Redcloud I got Huron 3.4.5. After that tried to install Yale - still Huron 3.4.5. Reformatted and tried Redcloud again. Huron 3.4.5. This morning tried Yale again and same thing. I get the blinking blue light after I restart but it lasts maybe 30 seconds before system boots up and I am in Huron 3.4.5. Any suggestions? I’m feeling screwed, don’t know what else I can do.

Did you use the OS’s eject function before you take out the USB stick? Are your four upgrade files in the root of the USB stick? If the data and time on the LOADER.CFG isn’t 12/08/17 5:22pm redownload the upgrade files from the PS Audio web site. Paul changed the LOADER.CFG to do a “force load”. (I don’t know if there are time zone issues with the above file date, but you could just redownload the SD Jr Redcloud updater on general principles.

If none of that helps contact PS Audio support. They can get you set up.

What a big day!

First updated the bridge:

Than the Redcloud update through the USB update procedure as described.

As you can see both worked well and immediately.

The sound seems more airy and tighter bass. The noise between DSD and other files is still there. Might be quite though…

Definitely eject before I remove. Yes files are in root and no other files on drive. Just re-downloaded DSJ Redcloud update and tried again - same thing. Huron 3.4.5. Guess I will have to call when offices open and see what they can do. Doesn’t seem like much is happening, light blinks for less than a minute. But it’s the weekend! Guess I’m out of luck until Monday.

David did you place the usb before or after powering down the DSJ? Shouldn’t make a difference but maybe just maybe it helps to place the usb after powering down the DSJ. Had some problems myself but finaly it worked . Huron to yale and then update to redcloud.

Succes

I just bought my DSJR during the recent Black Friday sale (thank you, Paul).
I was pleased with the SQ with Huron but very disappointed at the ambient swirly noises and with PS's suggestion that the best solution was to run the unit at full volume and insert a preamp in the circuit. This just seemed like a kludge to fix something that shouldn't be so broken. Anyway, fast forward two weeks and now the low-level swirly noise problem seems fully abated with Redcloud (thank you, Ted).
I am quite sure the SQ under Redcloud is fundamentally changed and improved and it's been interesting to experience it -- I have been playing my DSJR with two different amps - a Quad 909 "Current Dumper" and a pair of Bel Canto Ref 600's (the new ones with the Hypex modules). Under Huron, the Bel Canto's sounded mechanical, flat, and slightly fatiguing; music through the more euphonic Quad was more fleshed-out and dimensional, more "analog" if you will. Now the situation has dramatically changed - with Redcloud I find the Quad slow, the bass somewhat slack, and everything a little closed in; the Bel Canto's sound "just right." Not what I expected but there it is.
I've noticed another issue that's hard for me to completely explain. With Huron I often felt that vocals were slightly lost in the mix; via Redcloud vocals are front and center. My guess is that there is more dimensionality overall and it's just most obvious to me with singers.
So yes, you could say that I am a happy camper!

Yes I inserted USB after powering down. I may at some point go out and buy a USB stick that comes formatted as Fat32 - I used this one for some time Mac OS Journaled. Don’t see why it would matter but you never know. Just so I know, how long does the upgrade take when it works properly. For me, I’ve been getting about 30 seconds of the blinking blue light before DSJ boots up which has been letting me know that nothing much is happening.

At least a few minutes with nothing on screen just a blinking PSA logo.

Guys,

When you instruct us to “go back to Yale” do you mean the first version that’s on Downloads -the original one? Or the forcedloading version.

Quite disappointed at his point. Followed all instructions carefully, attempted to go Huron->Recloud to no avail, then tried to go back to Yale but no joy either. I don’t even get the PSA blinking and the screen stays at Huron 3.4.5 :frowning:

Will keep trying once I’m back from a business trip.

Upgraded my DS Jr after downgrading to Yale. Maybe you need some (more?) beta testers? I’m an IT professional and can tell you, large organizations may have nearly as many QA testers as developers.

Welcome, Shaft

PS Audio is not a large organization. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, the issue arises only with a small percentage of users, making the issue very difficult to track down.

shaft234 said Upgraded my DS Jr after downgrading to Yale. Maybe you need some (more?) beta testers? I'm an IT professional and can tell you, large organizations may have nearly as many QA testers as developers.
The problem isn't very repeatable and typically only happens on systems that haven't had their software upgraded for a long time (statistical corruption of something?). Not the description of developer's systems and we only get one experiment per customer unless we wait quite a while.

Elk,

Yes to both of your points. That’s why incorporating some DS Jr owners as beta-testers seems like a pragmatic option. Software glitches that only impact small percentages of users are why even huge org’s like Microsoft use beta-testers.

Ted, I posted my response to Elk before I saw yours. I upgraded to Huron when it was available. So the gap between updates was the minimum.

shaft234 said Ted, I posted my response to Elk before I saw yours. I upgraded to Huron when it was available. So the gap between updates was the minimum.
It's been quite a long time since Huron... The "fix" involves doing the full downgrade and reupgrade.