Gents and Ladies (and scoudrels like Paul ),
Had my PSJ for 1.x years. It has:
Version Redcloud 0.0.0
My bridge has never worked (not even remotely able to acquire a DHCP address from my bone stock google WiFi gear and can’t seem to retain a manual address for any length of time so I gave up). I feed her via a SPDIF/COAX from a MassFidelity Relay.
One of the scoundrel’s videos reminded me that it might be good to look into the latest firmware and I see that there have been a number of releases since Redcloud. I pulled each of the .zip kits from Redcloud through Windom.
Dropping binaries on USB should be pretty idiot proof (although the web page doesn’t hint at file systems so I presume PSJ will want Fat32) but I’m not sure if newer Bridge firmware was available (that I missed?). …and if so, where in the greater upgrade process it might be best to apply that.
I’m writing this in hopes that one of the previous DSJ folk (here) has some “if it all goes well, step 1-N” steps to bring this PSJ to the latest (bridge? and codec) firmware.
PS - I could come at this (usb prep) from any platform but my MacBook Air is the most available computer at the moment.
Small capacity thumb drive is the key. And lots of us needed to downgrade to Yale and then upgrade. With those tips, it should work like a charm.
Bridge only updates over the internet. You need to have it connected to your router.
By the way, both upgrades are worth doing. The Bridge update solved some clicks and dropout issues. Snowmass was a distinct improvement over Redcloud. So at least go there, even if you don’t decide to go to Windom.
For those coming at this after me here are a few things that might have you scratching your head for a second or three.
- Formatted an 8GB USB stick (Fat32) using a Windows box I have;
- Pulled Yale and Windom from PSAudio;
- Copied the files for Yale to the stick (using my MacBook Air, but…);
- Put the DSJ to sleep;
- Power OFF the DSJ;
- Inserted USB (the USB contacts face toward the CENTER of the DSJ);
- Power ON the DSJ;
NOTE: Front sleep button IMMEDIATELY begins flashing at a 1 per 1/2 second pace. The main panel won’t respond until things are loading (about 2-3 MINUTES after power on).
- Wait for it to do it’s thing (eventually it’ll reboot and ignore the USB stick and return to an idle state).
- Repeat Step 3 and Step 4;
- Remove USB stick;
- Repeat Step 6.
- After it boots and goes to an idle state, verify that the DAC is functional (play something through it).
Click to Clunk time was about 4 (5?) minutes.
The process for migrating from Yale to Windom is essentially identical EXCEPT that Windom employs a USB flasher tool (see the Windom package for details) instead of simply drag/copying files to the stick.
Other notes: My bridge, while “functional” has never worked (reliably) so in the months since purchase I’ve managed to remove the ethernet cable from it. It may not hurt to disconnect your ethernet cable until the dust settles.
Next up (for me) is to hook up a patch cable and force the Bridge to behave itself long enough to update (if history is any indication that’ll mean a manual ip config and some crossed fingers).
Dare I say Windom sounds “more lively”. I like. Thank you Paul & Peeps (and Allen!)
iOS -> BT -> Mass Fidelity Relay -> COAX/SPDIF -> DSJ -> BAL -> AR LS17SE -> BAL -> Parasound A23 Plus -> Snell EIIIs (survivors!).