DSJ Bridge Update Issue

I just received my DSJ today. I went through the setup and I was notified of a bridge update, so I selected to update it.

Prior to the update, the DSJ was connected to my network and with Roon.

After the update the Ethernet port on the Bridge shows no activity, not even a link light. My network switch (Cisco 2960S) shows the port as not connected.

Checking the firmware version screen, the Bridge software version shows as 0.0.0. I am running the Huron DSJ firmware.

After reading other posts I’ve emailed Dennis to try and obtain the forced Bridge update software for Windows to see if I can revive the Bridge and get the DSJ back on the network. I don’t suppose anyone on the forum has the link to this software? I am keen to get this working again over the weekend.

Thanks,

Chris

Welcome, Chris

Unfortunately I do not, but perhaps someone does and can help you.

I do not have access to it over the weekend, unfortunately. Maybe someone reading the forums got it and can share?

Did you power cycle the DSJ? Sometimes it takes a reboot (or even two) to get firmware updates to work properly.

After reading a few of the other forum posts, I’ve tried a few things:

• Power cycled many times, even left it unplugged overnight last night. No help there.

• Downgrade/upgrade the DSJ firmware - I went back to Torreys and then to Huron.

• Check switch logs to see if there’s any attempt to connect at all (none)

As it was working yesterday (should have left it alone) I am guessing the Bridge update failed.

Hopefully someone has the link to the forced update, otherwise it’s not a big deal to wait until Monday. Paul, any reason these files aren’t published like all the other stuff on the site?

Cheers,

Chris

A good question. While it is best for people to not use them unless needed, the forced update file could be made available along with a cautionary description as to its use.

I am sorry you have to wait until Monday, very frustrating I am certain.

It sounds pretty darn good with my Sonore ultraRendu, but yes a little frustrating one of the primary purchase decisions was the network / Roon / MQA capabilities.

Honestly I would always choose an upgrade method that doesn’t have a ‘chicken-egg’ setup. The Bridge get’s its update via itself, so either this process needs to be bullet proof, or just give me a file to upload manually that’s out of band.

Cheers,

Chris

Yeah, I am not sure why, probably because we get worried about people using it incorrectly, though I note the rescue firmware for a DirectStream Bridge is up on the downloads site - not sure if it’s the same or not. I suspect not.

Chris123 said

It sounds pretty darn good with my Sonore ultraRendu, but yes a little frustrating one of the primary purchase decisions was the network / Roon / MQA capabilities.

Of course.

Please let us know next week when you get it up and running.

Chris123, one thing not responded too was your e-mailing Dennis for the rescue file. Unfortunately Dennis does not work for PS Audio anymore so unless someone is monitoring his e-mail your second option is to call PS Audio. I think you are covered by what Paul has said, but the folks you talk to on the phone are very helpful.

Thanks everyone. I opened a support ticket on Friday so I am sure I will get this resolved next week.

@adminpaul , I took a look at the DS Bridge rescue download but it mentions a USB drive to connect to the Bridge. Guessing this is for the DS and not the DSJ.

Chris

There’s a USB input on the back of DSJr

Chris123 said

Thanks everyone. I opened a support ticket on Friday so I am sure I will get this resolved next week.

@adminpaul , I took a look at the DS Bridge rescue download but it mentions a USB drive to connect to the Bridge. Guessing this is for the DS and not the DSJ.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately it sounds like the DSj bridge module downloaded was corrupted in some way. I’m working with the module designers to find out why this happens sometimes. The only thing I do know is the download to the bridge module takes a very long time, as in 2-10min. If power is cycled during this time the download appears to end up incomplete.

If your unit isn’t linking ethernet anymore, the recovery software (mconnect setup) will not work. The module has to be recovered with it’s ‘base’ code first. We will need to swap the bridge module out for you with an upgraded/tested one. I will make sure our customer service team gets in contact with you. I’m sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, we are working hard to make sure future updates with our own hardware, and 3rd party modules, are more robust.

Regards,

Matt

Thanks @mattc. I assume the bridge can be swapped out by me or do I need to ship the DSJ back? I have been listening to it over the weekend using my Sonore to do the network bit, and I am hoping this is a user serviceable task so I don’t have to be without it.

Chris

Chris123 said

Thanks @mattc. I assume the bridge can be swapped out by me or do I need to ship the DSJ back? I have been listening to it over the weekend using my Sonore to do the network bit, and I am hoping this is a user serviceable task so I don’t have to be without it.

Chris

Hi Chris123,

Please contact me directly at JeremyB@psaudio.com.

We can discuss your service options and exchange shipping information.

FYI we will need the unit’s serial number.

To answer your question, yes technically the Bridge is replaceable but not end user serviceable.

Either way we want to work with you so I’ll keep my eye out for your reply.

Thanks,

• Jeremy

Email sent.

Hi @jeremyb, did you get my email?

Chris123 - did you ever get this issue resolved? I ask because I attempted a bridge update last night and now I’m having the exact same issue. No ethernet connectivity, bridge listed as 0.0.0 - did you have to send it back? Man I really hope that’s not what I’m looking at here.