Roon 1.8 Announcement

Dark mode is there in 1.8. Don’t worry.

1 Like

I’m with you here. I sign up for Roon, then cancel it. This has happened three times. I keep hoping it will be all it’s cracked up to be but shortly after using it again, I realize that Roon Radio falls way short (Ridiculously short), which is the greatest selling point for me as I don’t have a huge local library. I have my vinyl collection, my open reel collection, my CD collection, and my bad ass music server and various streaming services to gain me access to an unGodly amount of music. Weird recommendations that aren’t even in the same time zone with respect to the original artist. Sadly, Spotify’s “radio” function is exponentially more relevant and accurate.

1 Like

There has been a dark mode for quite some time. I’ve been a lifer since release.

Spotify is going to be more accurate as it probably has 100 to 200 times as many users. I use Roon, but my kids also use Spotify. I could happily live without Roon in a single standalone system, but with a house full of Roon Ready or Roon Tested devices and several users, it really comes into its own.

You may be one of the few choosing between Roon and open reel.

1 Like

:joy: Can’t imagine I have company here.

I’m in the same boat with my wife and kids using Spotify for content and no interest in sound quality. I bullishly pushed back for years until last month when I broke down and added Spotify to my repertoire. Over the last few weeks, I have come to two very distinct conclusions. 1) Spotify is not in the same universe with regard to sound quality compared to Tidal or Qobuz. 2) Sportify’s “radio” and playlist selection puts Roon (using Tidal and Qobuz) in the Pee Wee league.

EVERYTHING comes with trade offs.

1 Like

This surprises me as I think Roon Radio is brilliant.

1 Like

Guys, what do you think the chances are that I am already using dark mode?
Less than 100%?
Wrong.
I know it is there now. Trust me.

1 Like

But did it have it before 1.8???

(LOL)

1 Like

no way in hell

2 Likes

It may be, but after experiencing the radio function on Spotify, I think Roon was looking over Spotify’s shoulder at test time.

In all fairness, Spotify’s radio function isn’t truly radio-like in that it isn’t endless. Mind you, it creates a masterful playlist of 50+ songs, but unlike Roon, it does end. In all honesty, after 50 songs of any radio, I am ready to move on to the next.

It very well could be that Roon Radio is excellent with some genres/artists and lagging with others. It’s just that my wife and I would often look at each other in dismay when Roon Radio threw curve balls. Those moments were reduced by 90% with Spotify’s radio feature.

I will say, 1.8 is intriguing and may lead to my 4th subscription to Roon out of curiosity.

1 Like

Also a Roon lifer and impatient to discover 1.8 :sunglasses:

Deezer was never an option (Lifetime subscriber since 2016)

A little more detail:

We’ve overhauled the core to insure the best playback possible. Upsampling and DSP features no longer effect sound quality.

The overhaul includes provisions to play from RAM.

New breakthroughs in the cure insure more stability.

ROON on an idevice will work like an iPad or iPhone should. Expand, contract the screen, etc.

ROON will now be able to interface directly with Wickepedia to provide even better insights into artists and albums.

ROON team has worked hard to insure the overhead in using the new features do not impact sound quality.

Use of HQPlayer is no longer necessary (but it’s still there) because we insured the sound quality is now second to none.

ROON has worked to insure the CORE abd the library data can’t be corrupted and is easily restored if this portion gets broken. How about an option that will delete the old hidden library data and restore it when a problem occurs.

ROON now has a quick way to insure if you’re out and about and record shopping that you can see one’s ROON library from afar.

The first two are very important as there were issues with Roon DSP affecting sound quality. The lack of RAM playback is the reason why Innuos recommend using their Logitec Experimental mode, because it plays Roon via RAM and the SATA drive in my unit (not SSD) remains largely or entirely inactive during playback.

1 Like

Me too. I have not tried Spotify for any length of time in years because I disliked their algorithm for their “radio” mode. The kids love it though. Anyway, when “Roon Radio” was updated last go-round, I was sold on it. At the time it was the best implementation of such a feature in any platform I had played with. I think its great. To each his own, I guess.

1 Like

Well, I did not bother to check it our or know about dark mode, until now. I just switched my preference to same in setup and I am glad I did. I like it much better. Yet another reward for strolling through this forum with my breakfast and tea every morning.

Regards.

1 Like

Ooh…I like this feature!

2 Likes

Are you sure this list is from ROON’s development team? I see this post on ROON’s community page, but I believe it was posted as a wish list from a user, who says: “But I hope other topics this week contain…” I hope I am misreading, because these would all be monumental improvements.

Here’s a link to the post:

But isn’t affecting the sound quality the whole point of upsampling?

I don’t know. I don’t use it.