Roon Variable or Fixed Audio?

So for me, I use the BHK Pre for volume control, so I set roon to Fixed Volume. If I wanted to control the volume with my phone, tablet, etc…from the Roon interface, I’d choose Device Volume.

1 Like

Yes I used term variable volume. I think compressed is a good word to describe device volume sound. It opens up soundstage when in fixed. The highs sound better too.

3 Likes

Just for additional clarity about the options, I guess.

I set the DS Sr. DAC device to “device volume” but tend to leave it pegged at 92.

I use my pre-amp to adjust the volume.

When listening through my computer, I likewise have the iMac set to “device volume” and I use the volume control on the iMac to turn the music up or down.

I don’t use the Roon volume control in either case.

So, is Roon volume in or out of the signal path when I set up my devices this way?

1 Like

Interesting…

I guess I’ll have to do some experimenting.

Thanks.

1 Like

It’s my understanding that when you use Fixed Volume, there’s no processing on the Roon server, your endpoint receives a steady volume level. If you use Device Volume, there’s some processing performed by Roon.

1 Like
1 Like

Got it. “Running”, not walking, through my device settings to set 'em all to fixed!

:wink:

3 Likes

Now you know why my Team at work would be horrified if I dealt with the frontline Caregivers! My Help Desk skills are weak.

1 Like

I thought Device Volume is when Roon controls the DAC’s volume. For example, I use a DS Jr. and can adjust its volume through Roon — because the Bridge is awesome in that way. Similarly, if I turn the Jr’s knob, it changes Roon’s volume. This may be different from Variable Volume in which case the volume is actually processed by the Roon software. I would love to be corrected if I’m wrong.

There isn’t a Variable Volume that was a mistype earlier. They meant to type Device Volume. Frankly, Variable seems more accurate.

What you described is exactly what Device Volume is meant to do with a Roon Ready device.

1 Like

Cool, got it now.

2 Likes

I’m betting this is why many complain of Roon’s sound quality. They did not set to fixed but device volume. You are then using hardware in the Roon ready device or DSP in your processor versus an expensive preamp.

3 Likes

I think you are right. I just tried it here sitting at my desk. It’s immediately obvious to me when I change between the two. These ProAc Tablette 10 Signatures are very revealing in near field. Every little change is immediately noticeable.

2 Likes

Yep. My tweaked out system with McIntosh line array XR290s reveals every difference you make in a system too. No matter how small it might seem.

2 Likes

My friend I suggest you go ahead and set your devices to fixed volume. When you start listening have the volume on the preamp or amplifier down low., turning it up once you know it isn’t too high.
I believe having the Roon setting to Device Volume is not the way to go for the best sound.
I believe having the Roon setting to Device Volume in your situation results in the same volume, but poorer sound. It is easy enough to try and if after trying the Roon Setting of Fixed Volume you don’t have any issues that you should continue to use it in the Fixed Volume setting.

You may or may not hear a difference, but I believe Fixed Volume is the correct setting.

3 Likes

As I noted above:

'Got it. “Running”, not walking, through my device settings to set ‘em all to fixed!’

4 Likes

Sorry, to me it looked like you were being ignored.
I can’t and won’t do that with you.
(I zipped through this thread too quickly, you weren’t being ignored)

2 Likes

More time back in fixed mode Audio with Roon End Point.

The good news is my previous cable work still stands. Noise Floor has dropped to nothing. My highs are crazy extended and bass is perfect. The strange thing using RF and EMF absorber tuning rings the tuning position ls on the Stealth and my Whisper cables is constant between fixed audio and the device adjustable. It appears that tuning by ear no matter the equipment resolution stays consistent. What was toe tapping stays toe tapping.

I hope my accidental discovery about system drift helped other forum members achieve better sound through Roon Settings on volume.

2 Likes

The easy way to know your Roon Volume Setting on your endpoint is select the speaker in right lower corner. Look for fixed volume. If not follow @vkennedy61 advice previously posted.

2 Likes

After extended comparisons with my headphone system, I find no perceptable difference in presentation at the Device versus the Fixed volume settings. I’ve tried various combos of headphones and amps and can hear no difference. My amp/phones mix includes BHSE, Lux P750-U, Pass HPA-1, Mac MHA200 / Stax 009, VOCE, Focal Stellia & Utopia, HiFiMan HE1000se, Sony WH-1000XM4. Wish I could hear a diference but none exists with my setup.

3 Likes