Volume Control with Roon

First off all: I absolutely love my new DirectStream DAC, certainly in combination with the Bridge and Roon. Must really force myself to go to bed because I just want to keep listening and rediscovering my own music collection. LOVE IT, AWESOME!!

There is just one tiny glitch which I can’t get my finger behind because it is an intermittent problem. At times, the volume control in the Roon App stops working. The slider number shifts but the actual volume of the DAC does not change, all other functions in the App keep working perfectly. As soon as I use the standard remote to adjust the volume, the Roon App immediately syncs with that volume level and neatly follows the setting of the DS display. (yet it doesn’t pick up the control again)

Is this a know issue? I’m still in the process of detecting where this may come from so I’m even not ruling out my WiFi network at this stage.

[UPDATE Feb 2nd]

Roon 1.3 is a lot better, after switching songs there is a slight delay before it picks up the volume controls again, but that’s minor.

Hi - I occasionally see that bug too on volume control but it’s literally only every few weeks or more for me. Closing down Roon on my IPad controller and reopening it seems to do the job without losing current playlist.

Yep - totally agree it’s an awesome combination. Didn’t take me long to go Roon liftetime, subscribe to Tidal and stop buying/ ripping CDs.

With the new build (200) of Roon release 1.3 this works flawlessly now, and also power on/off has been added successfully.

Really happy with this combination if it keeps performing as is.

HI All,

I’ve actually turned this off as I was lead to believe any digital attenuation can rob the sound of detail? This may not be the case with a ROON/DSJnr combo but it certainly was in my previous set-up (Aries Mini > LH Labs Pulse Infinity 2.0 DAC) which was resolved when I bypassed “app” control of volume & fixed it at 100.

Cheers

Matt

I have noticed that adjustment of the volume in roon causes a clicking or popping sound. Also roon skips the first second of songs frequently. I never have had these issues with any other dac before the direct stream jr. Are there ways to resolve this?

I love my DSJr but have had the same issue. No pops when changing the volume with the remote, only when changing volume with the Roon iPad app. And occasional dropouts for a split second when starting to play something new. All the software is up to date as far as I can tell. Not a huge issue, especially given how good everything else is.

Correct that’s the exact same thing I am having. Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this? For me it’s a little annoying

I changed the setting on Roon for DSJr (go to audio then psjr then device setup) from 0 resync delay to 1000 ms. Too soon to say definitively but that seems to have solved the drop out issue at the beginning. There’s an entry on the forum under accessories and tweaks for best sound for Roon and DSJr. That gave me the idea. So far so good. The other problem remains, although using the PS Audio remote for volume instead of the iPad solves it—no clicks with the remote.

Thanks I am trying it now too as per your advice

@AllenP thanks man that seems to have solved the issue with clipping on the first second of mqa tracks! really appreciate your help. i agree the volume is still an issue with roon and the remote does solve/help. would
be fantastic and flawless if the clipping when using the roon volume adjuster could be resolved in a update. however this is a game changer fix because
before it was SUPER annoying. thanks again!

You and I are both listening to MQA over Roon and had the same experience. Thanks for mentioning the issue, it was bothering me too. And thanks for motivating me to see if there was some way to fix it. The change of volume problem is much less annoying, especially since it doesn’t happen when using the remote. All good.

i have adjusted my set up and now i am using the dac at 100% volume on the unit as i read that is the best performance for dac only output. i adjust the volume using the remote of my headphone amp. so therefore no more clicks from adjust via roon. this is not as easy but will sacrifice for better sound and performance.