SACD Transport software update

Excellent news!

Good to have it resolved before the weekend. :slight_smile:

Happy listening

1 Like

Yes, absolutely. Listening Bach at the weekend with good resolution using the best layer. Promising …

1 Like

Hi - I just got the new PW SACD transport and am having trouble with it. 1) It does not read SACD/DSD layers even though I am connected with an I2S HDMI cable. The cable is a 1 foot long Wireworld Platinum 7 HDMI cable. When I go into the setup screen to the page where it shows 2 options, SACD & CD. When I try to select the SACD, it gives an error message that I need to be connected by an I2S cable.???
2) It is having trouble trying to read disks where it takes the disk in but is shows the drawer is empty. ???

I have tried several SACD’s, but the result is the same, it only plays the CD layer.

I have tried rebooting it via the power switch and by removing the power cord after I turned the unit off, waiting 10 seconds then plugging in the cord and turning it back on. No changes in function.

It has the latest FW based on your download page, 2.2.0. I need some help here.

I had the same problem with my new transport-got the same error message saying I needed to be connected by an I2S cable when such a cable was already connected. After much fiddling around, I tried the PSA stock HDMI cable and it worked fine. It seemed to insert deeper into the socket on the transport than my current HDMI cable. (This was on the previous release, but same problem on the current 2.2.0 release.)

All I could figure is that there was some issue with the HDMI socket on the new transport. I called service over a week ago regarding this and have heard nothing back.

I would note that others have reported the same issue

I’ve had the same issue and using a WW Platinum cable as well.

You need to make sure the HDMI cable is plugged firmly and squarely into the HDMI socket on the PST. If it’s even the slightest bit cockeyed - at an angle - the I2S handshake can be lost. Jiggling the plug in the socket can also help.

Also, once you get the connection, if you move the PST slightly to adjust its position on your rack, you stand a chance of losing the handshake again.

Seems like something is not quite 100% with the socket hardware, I think.

I did all that too, even got a loud squeal when jiggling, which further increased my suspicion that there may be an issue with the socket. And again, the stock PSA HDMI cable works perfectly.

I am currently using my standard-issue PS Audio hdmi cable for the same reason mentioned here.
The hdmi socket requires a particularly long insertion which my WW Plat 7, and RAL do not have. This is a nuisance because, you can get these cables to work if perfectly aligned, but as mentioned, the slightest knock will lose the connection.

Maybe use an aes or other cable instead ?

Which is particularly annoying because (a) I don’t have a spare “standard issue PS Audio HDMI cable” at my disposal that delivers the same SQ, (b) RAL and WW are hardly bargain-basement cables that worked just fine with the old DMP and (“c”) The PST is not chump change, and now you need yet another megabuck cable for a reliable I2S connection?

At least with a bit of patience, I can make the connection work with what I have. I trimmed back several mm of the shrink tubing around the plugs on the RAL, and given that it is a fairly stiff cable, once it’s in “just right” it tends to maintain its position.

1 Like

The other inputs on the DSD will not allow SACD playback of the DSD layer, that’s the biggest drawback. Sonically otherwise the AES and coaxial can yield very high caliber sound, the optical too, though not all sampling rates may pass through and decode.

Comparing my RAL termination to the PS Audio, the PSA is not only longer (deeper) but it’s ever so slightly thicker vertically. Soooooo, holding my RAL facing me, I just barely squeezed the connection horizontally with a small pair of pliers. Voila. Tighter fit and it’s working just fine.

Hi - Thanks for the reply on my problem. I am going to try to mess with the cable, but it requires moving a several hundred pound cabinet to get to the cable. Not fun! This defect needs to be fixed Soonest!

Has anybody had a similar problem with a failure to read the disk?

No issues at all.

3 Likes

Yes, annoying, doubly so because I asked my sales rep about this issue since I had seen it mentioned on the beta thread and she assured me that it had been rectified. So I went ahead with the purchase even though I am a bit leary of early production runs. Consequently, trying other HDMI cables is now problematic, to say the least.

Not what you should expect from an expensive product (along with no service response).

I wonder if I’m alone in thinking that the SQ advantage of SACD over Redbook is minimal with the PST.
The improvement is wonderful no matter what’s playing.

Well, it was either fiddle with it or not use it…
I am, therefore I fiddle with it.

2 Likes

Thanks! Great suggestion.

No, you are not. I found the improvement in Redbook remarkable. Some improvement in SACD, for sure, but not nearly as much. So the PST closes the SQ gap between SACD and RB to a very significant extent.

5 Likes

Are you sure?

The specs say:

• I2S output for PCM and DSD (raw)
  • 2x XLR output for PCM and DoP. Use in tandem for Double-rate DoP
  • 2X BNC (coax) output for PCM and DoP. Use in tandem for Double-rate DoP
  • USB data input for stored digital media
  • 1X RCA (coax) output for PCM and DoP

So only I2S for raw DSD, but DoP for the other ones.