SACD Transport software update

Nice, shout to Barry for remembering this one.

1 Like

I got a new 32 gb USB 3.1 drive and it works, but the 64 gb still does not work. So may be there is a limitation of the USB sizing on the PST. I do not know if anyone else has success with USB driver larger than 32 gb?

wondering if any “perceived” sonic changes with new FW update?

None to my ear. Fortunately, we haven’t had to deal with changes to the PIC affecting audible changes in the outcome.

thank you paul. just did the recent FW update on my transport.

If your PST display starts bubbling up, remove the protective strip.

7 Likes

Had no idea there was a protective strip. Mine is not bubbling, but perhaps if I remove it the screen will be easier to read from my seating position.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I think there’s a software update forthcoming that’s supposed to suck up the bubbles. :joy:

6 Likes

Absolutely. And keep in mind, that there is only one predominant order: Keep the Gremlins away from our PST. They touched many of our DSD Seniors last year :thinking:

Don’t know if the new Dac will have a screen or not, or if it will be larger than the PST, but would it be possible to show the track and elapsed time of the transport on the Dac screen?

Removing the protective strip definitely made the screen a little sharper. I can read the track number much better now, but still can’t read the elapsed time.

As posted above,

All these formatted with FAT32 work on my PST.

alright, I will get a Kingston 64g to give a try. It surely nice that I do not need to start a USB collection on top of my CD collections.

I will format my Samsung to FAT32 and it should work then. Thanks.

For what ever reason, I formatted the Samsung 64gb to FAT32 and download some DSD128 music files. It did not play. The PST could not read any of the files. So I will get a Kingston to try.

@jamesh
My opinion that PST user guide is lacking info on the USB. Most of the “user guide “, such as the one I have from Yamaha, it explicitly says “…using FAT16 or FAT32”.
So, it is a wild guess for PST users to find out which USB will work, especially for 32GB/64GB, since the factory format on these might not be FAT32 (they might be shipped with ext-FAT). So, simply copy music files into a 32/64G USB key, PST might refuse to play due to “incorrect” format.
For Mac user, it supports USB formatting to FAT32, but for Windows user, like me, it makes thing a little complicated, since Windows does not support USB formatting to FAT32, a 3rd party formatting tool is needed to do so.

@dchang05 @jamesh
FYI. Here is the actual 64G USB playing DSD128 on my PST. Two 64G USB are tested this morning (03/07/2021) both are FAT32 formatted in windows via 3rd party “fat32format.exe”

The DSD128 is from Test Your System with Free Downloads | Blue Coast Music

USB 1, Kingston 64G

USB 2. Sanddisk 64G.
image image

2 Likes

You are right, my Samsung 64 was actually re-formatted to extFAT 32 because there’s no FAT selection. I’ll try again with your link for third time formatting. Thanks!

+1. I agreed completely.

I agree, the manual doesn’t mentioned much about it at all. From the info I’ve tried to gather from Barry, it’s because the technical papers for the drive don’t offer this info either. So any specifics as far as the USB drive goes would be kind of a guess.

Not sure what kind of USB drive PST is using, Marantz SA10, also supports USB input, it says “…This unit is compatible with USB memory devices in “FAT16” or “FAT32” format…”.
I guess asking or suggesting PST user to use FAT32 USB format should be OK.
For me, the first thing to troubleshoot the PST playback problem, is to try FAT32.