SACD Transport software update

I will see if I can locate one in the house. Will report back.

Hi James,

It took a while for me to try different options. Here is what I found using two USB drives:

64gb Samsung 3.1 low resolution WAV sample music from a site Does not work

Hi Res. WAV download from Qobuz Does not work

4gb USB stick old Low Res. WAV sample music from a site Works!

Hi res. WAV from Qobuz Does not work

So I would suggest the next FW upgrade can improve the USB function, as of now the USB playback is subpar to the CD playback quite a bit.

The good news is I found my unit is working.

Thanks,

Donald

1 Like

@yzfr1mike I’m hoping your WW Starlight Platinum cable issue had a good outcome, but I haven’t been successful in identifying in the forum whether the I2S cable issues many have reported were the consequence of the FW, or of failure to attain a mechanically secure attachment to the HDMI socket. May I ask if these issues are now fully understood and corrected? At present, does anyone still have problems with using the high-quality I2S cable of their choice with the PST? What was up with all that? Thanks.

Terrence, thanks for the inputs. you are right about the limitation of USB playback. most of my hi-res. download would not work with the USB port.

Hi guys - I had a problem with my WW 12 in. HDMI cable caused by the different location of the I2S port on the new transport. When I hooked it up the angle of the bend in the cable caused an intermittent open connection on a wire inside the cable connector. I am using the PS Audio short HDMI cable that came with my DMP transport until I get the Audioquest 1/2 meter Fire HDMI cable I ordered with PSA a couple of weeks ago (March 18th.) I haven’t heard anything about the AQ Fire cable? What is the status of that order? Thanks!

1 Like

Myself and some others have found that the HDMI cable problem with SACDs is now fixed with the new software.
My Harmonic Technology Cable now works but the physical connection is mediocre at best.
When it is plugged into the Direct Stream dac it locks securely but on the PST it’s just sort of hanging there.

3 Likes

When I ordered my AQ RH zero speaker cables through PSA, it took a couple weeks for them to ship out because they do not stock most of the AQ cables in house. AQ has to made them after receiving the orders unless they are common items. So it will take a few weeks for you to receive them.

Hi James
Work distractions have prevented me from playing any SACDs since I made the FW v. 2.3.1. update.
Tonight I tried listening to the DSD layer on 4 SACDs, all four were recognized as CDs and played fine.
When I went in and selected the DSD layer manually, the disc either reverted to CD mode or came up with the ‘-’ notation. I reloaded the SACD and got the CD layer. The DSD layer will not automatically select when I load an SACD and will not hold when I manually select it. The AQ HDMI cable connection to the PSA DAC is the same one that was working just fine prior to the 2.3.1. update.

1 Like

I use those free testing music files (mentioned above) to test PST music data file playback on USB keys and on different Disk format - DVD+/-RW, DVD+/-R.
The USB keys I tested range from old 1G/2G thumb drives I got from the trade show long time ago, to the most recent Kingston 16G/32G/64G. Especially, the 32G was bought just for PST testing. All USB keys are in FAT32 (other format, like extFAT, NTFS, PST will not take it.) All these play OK on my PST.
Note that, If a music file cannot be played on USB, it won’t play on DATA disk either.
Usually, I don’t play music data files on my PST. Because the drive mechanism (same as Marantz SA-10) on PST is so good, I actually “going backwards” by burning my music data files on my server to music CD. Sonic performance is very good on my system to my ears. Only downside is that now I have lots of burnt music CD scattered in my study room. :slight_smile:

My hope of using USB to replace old CDs is not happening, CDs sounded so good on PST I may ended getting more CDs instead.

3 Likes

Welcome to my world! The cds keep coming in!

3 Likes

So what I gather is it appears to be specific to the high res files downloaded from Qobuz?

That is my experience. But a USB with high capacity may not work either.

I got with Barry and he said the size of the drive in most cases doesn’t seem to be the limiting factor whether or not it works properly. We’ve looked through the white papers for the disc drive and it doesn’t specify size limits for the USB drive. If there is a limit that people are noticing, let me know.

I’m a bit confused for why the higher res files aren’t playing properly. It supports WAV up to 192/24 so unless the files are copied on the the drive improperly, it should play them.

The files I downloaded from Qobuz which I purchased are 96/24. I can try download them using different format to see if that makes a difference. But one WAV file works on the 4gb old stick did not work on the 64gb USB3.1. So in my case the smaller sized one worked.

There must be something to do with Qobuz download, no matter it is 96/24 or 48/24 files. None of them can play through PST. I can listen them from PC and from my Oppo 205 before. So I do not know if their WAV. file is different from other WAV files. I can not tell from their properties.

Okay, I am keep beating a dead horse. Finally I found one download from Qobuz that works. I can play FLAC file using an old USB stick. I had no luck with either AIFF nor WAV from Qobuz and it supposed to. Go figure.

Barry’s thoughts are that Qobuz is adding meta data to the file which is causing confusion in the player. He ran into a file like this before and once the extra data was deleted, it plated just fine.

Yap! Thank you and Barry, finally I was able to play AIFF files. All the extra metadata need to be strip out first from all Qobuz downloads.

I am playing a pure AIFF 96/24 file on a USB. Nice!

2 Likes

I was unsuccessful with a new 32gb USB drive on multiple tries…found a very old, unused 2gb drive and it worked in seconds…