SGCD popping sound with volume change

Recently added a Parasound HALO A21+ to my system…LOVE it… however, I notice that when I change the volume of my PSA SGCD, there is a popping sound for every adjustment up or down. Does it using the remote or the volume knob on the unit. Never noticed it before switching amps. It’s not LOUD, but it is noticeable if no music is playing. Is this normal? It sounds a bit like when you tap a live microphone with your finger. The volume of the “tapping” also changes with the amount of volume change.

Stonefree…from what I have read a resistor ladder volume control
is incorporated…when the volume is changed there may be a
clicking sound as different resitors in the ladder are engaged.
I could be mistaken about the resistor ladder in SGCD

Are you driving your new A21+ with XLR balanced cables?
Double check the back of your A21+ to be sure the input toggle
switch is set to balanced…this will make a big difference.

Someone…perhaps james the PS Audio Whiz Kid will chime in,

My Wyred4Sound STP SE Stage 2 preamp does the very same
thing…

Wish you the best

Yeah, I have everything connected correctly. Furutech XLR’s and switches set to balanced. It’s not a huge deal really, it’s just it’s never done that before (that I can recall), maybe the higher performance of the A21+ makes it more noticeable? Just want to make sure it’s all running correctly. It all sounds great when playing.

Thanks for replying…

You might like to reach out to jamesh he is the PS Audio
Whiz Kid…and would be able to help out in much better
way than myself…

Best wishes

I did notice the same thing with GCD when connecting various components, and the issue every time was that GCD and other components were not connected to the same set of outlets. For example, if one component is in the regenerator and another is straight to the wall, there is a slight pop, when both are connected to wall or both to the regenerator - no pop. Just check to make sure power is coming from the same place.

I’d be curious if you can hear it through the headphones. The GDAC does have tiny clicks when changing the volume, but they’re very subtle and I’ve only heard them with REALLY efficient speakers. Now if they’re loud, that definitely evident that something is now right.

James, it makes the popping sound in headphones too (Sundaras), The speakers are Wharfedale EVO 4.2’s, imp of 6-8 ohms and 87db.
I have all components plugged into the same outlet. I do not use power regen yet, but may in the future.

Again, not interfering with my listening. Just concerned if something is amiss.

I’ve never heard a popping, or other sound, when changing volume on my SGCD (into a pair of M700s and Maggie LRS speakers).
@Ohiophotopro mentions connecting/disconnecting components—I only do so with the power completely OFF to the entire system, not simply on standby.

1 Like

same to me, no pop, no hum

The volume control in the Stellar Gain Cell DAC is not of the subtractive (ladder) resistor kind. It is, like the product name suggests, an active Gain Cell (amplifier) circuit which has certain advantages for Sound Quality.

I am not sure what the reason is, that there are very few Gain Cell volume controls out in the market, but in some peoples experience these circuits suffer from inconsistent quality.

You read it, there are many units out there that do not suffer from pops. My SGCD did, along with others. When switching between any input channel (digital or analog) and a channel configured as home cinema channel.

According to PS Audio it was related to the Gain Cell volume control. I measured the output of the SGCD and noticed voltage peaks for every pop. What I also noticed, was a DC Voltage Component in the output of the channel that exhibited the loudest pops.

Input circuits of power amps do really not like DC voltages, or voltage peaks.

I reported the measurements it to PS Audio via this forum and was told that nothing could be done about it. Since the pops were not loud and the DC levels were small, I kept the SGCD operating, even though I was worried for my power amps (active speakers).

Till the channel that had exhibited the loudest pops started clipping even at low volumes exhibiting extreme loud pops and distortion, I returned the SGCD to the dealer. The representative of PS Audio did repair the SGCD, enabling me to get a deal on a different brand integrated streaming DAC/pre amp in the same price range.

I was happy how things turned out. I was intrigued by the Gain Cell technology and by the Stellar Gain Cell DAC’s sound quality and it’s looks. It was a pity this did not work for me.

1 Like

As long as it’s equal in both channels, relatively quiet, and doesn’t get worse, it should be OK.

1 Like

Greetings. Here is my experience with the PS Audio SGCD. I bought a used one from USAudioMart a couple years ago. This particular unit had been repaired, under warranty, by PS Audio at some point, but that was not a concern. The SGCD has worked mostly flawlessly for the last 2 years that I have owned it. I say mostly, because I too have dealt with the popping noise when switching from any input to the input designated as the HT Bypass. I mitigated this (mostly unacknowledged by PS Audio) issue by putting my amps in standby when switching inputs. I could also make the “pop” sound be less traumatic by cycling the volume (with no music playing), up to about 50 and back down to 15 ish, then switch to HT B, this didn’t make the “pop” go away, it just made it tolerable.

Fast forward to last night. I’m watching TV, HT bypass input, I go to listen to music from my streamer, switch inputs and HOLY HELL the noise. Extremely loud, and unable to change the volume from the SGCD so I as quickly as possible shut it down. The ‘noise’ did have the input signal, but was very loud and distorted, and the right channel was louder than the left. I powered everything off and checked connections and for excessive heat. I powered things up one at a time, and I was able to hear things through the HT bypass input. BUT… the right channel was a bit louder than the left, and somewhat distorted. There was also a clicking sound through the speakers when cycling the volume up and down that has never been there before… I then switched to input 2 and that’s when the right channel had the same very loud distorted noise, and my amp completely shut down. (I really hope my speaker isn’t ruined…)

The fuses in my amp were not blown, so something on the input stage has been killed. (Plinius SA-100 for reference).

At this point I have to decide to send the SGCD to PS Audio for inspection and/or repair, and I have to see how bad my amp is damaged. This is really disappointing in so many ways. My damaged equipment in the thousands of dollars. And having to make a decision to move away from PS Audio, I REALLY like the PS Audio sound… But, I don’t like how Paul and PS Audio has handled the SGCD “popping” issue, and I don’t like how it appears that the SGCD has taken out my amp along with itself!

For reference, here is my system:

SGCD – broken

PS Audio Stellar Phono Pre

Cambridge Audio CXN v2

2 x Plinius Audio SA-100 power amps, running as bridged mono blocks

Balanced inputs

Von Schweikert VR4 speakers – not sure of any damage yet.

I recently had a similar experience with my SGCD, some distortion in the right channel then popping sounds when reducing the volume from 1 to 0 plus clicking sounds, increasing in volume, as I turned up the volume dial. I am in Toronto, Canada so I took to a PS Audio dealer, who gave it to the distributor, who then sent it to PS Audio. What I heard was that they “replaced a board”. I am waiting until it gets sent back. It was out of warranty so there will be a charge. I hope this fixes the issue because I do really like this preamp. Good luck sorting your issues.
Take care,
Harry

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience Harry. The PS Audio sound is really good!

Dave

A quick update on this, and I want to be fair to PS Audio as well.
I’m so happy that I missed a fuse in my Plinius amp, replace that one and my amp and speakers are just fine. The SGCD is still broken, and I will see about sending it in sometime soon. I don’t know if I will put it back into my system though. I like the PS Audio sound enough, I just might get a BHK! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the MAJOR popping issue now with my SGCD. It shutdown my amplifier on the left channel. Did anyone figure out the issue, or heard from PS Audio regarding this issue?

You’ll need to send it in to PS Audio. I had this issue with my SGC and a trip to Boulder fixed it.

I owned a SGCD and returned it for the same reason. And maybe it is the reason the Stellar Gold Line Pre-Amp has no Gain Cell volume control.

I have to say, I really liked the SGCD when I first got it, but I do believe it is a dated design (esp the DAC) and the current reviews, or experiences by others, seems somewhat lacking. I was going to upgrade my DAC (Denafrips Pontius 2 or Eversolo DMP-A8) and use the SGCD as a preamp…but I think I will just get a new preamp as well, or use the r2r pre in the DMP-A8. The new Stellar Gold looks like a big improvement in the line (I assume the SGCD will soon be leaving the lineup?), but the jump in cost is significant…

For what it’s worth on an old thread, I have a SGC that is used as a preamp connected via XLR to an A 21 power amp. Yes, there are quiet clicks on volume change, but I cannot hear them when music is playing. Speakers are 101db efficient so that could be one reason.