Smitten With The Magnepan LRS

The Magna Riser Airborne is a well built substantial stand. The speakers are rock solid and I like the way they look.

I purposely chose the Magna Risers because the speakers don’t have tilt on them. In my opinion, Maggies sound better without the rearward tilt. Also like how easy the stands make it to move the speakers in minute increments during setup.

2 Likes

This from the Magnarisers website, gotta feeling I have the right equipment to drive the LRS’s

5 Likes

The Airborne seem excellent. The Mye only costs $40 more. The owner told me the Mye does sound best with weight placed on the stand, like a big rock - something very unlikely to make it past the living room review board.

I currently have the stock stands with Herbie sliders underneath them, which raises the speakers 1/4” off the floor. I wonder how much more performance the Airborne would provide?

I’m also considering Rob’s Multi Riser. Gets the LRS even higher, which works for me as my music listening is mostly while I cook.

The Mye stands weren’t in the equation for me because I wanted the speakers to stand completely upright, not tilted back. It also looked to me like a complex solution to a simple problem and I didn’t like the clamp on the top of the speaker. Folks say that they sound good.

I also considered other Magna Riser models and ultimately chose the Airborne because I liked the way it looked the best. I am really happy with my decision.

1 Like

FYI, here’s the Multi Riser with my .7. On this model there are two different vertical positions to choose from. I picked the higher of the two.

8 Likes

Wow, looks fabulous. I thunk I’ll also get the magna riser and use the highest position.

Thanks for the photos, very helpful.

What does this do to the bass moving it off the floor?

I’d call magnepan on the tilt thing. They were obviously delivered and designed that way. Most if not all other than mmg and LRS have no tilt. It might be to compensate for the height. But moving them up fixes that. I’m just interested in what happened to the bass as you moved the speaker up.

The LRS stock stands actually can be used both ways. With the tilt, or there’s a little metal flap on the back of the stand that can be deployed to eliminate the tilt. My impression is “to tilt” or “not to tilt” is a personal decision.

The MagnaRiser stands are the opposite, they have the LRS vertical, but come with spacers or wedges to induce the tilt.

Positive Feedback recently had a large, highly complimentary article about the MagnaRiser Airborne with the LRS. The Airborne and MK7 Multi Riser were given a 2020 PF Writer’s choice award, creating a large uptick in orders.

From what I’ve read, and from what Rob at MagnaRiser has told me, the elevation helps reduce bass bloat and can make for better subwoofer integration. It also creates greater height to the image, and greater dispersion overall.

Quoted from Positive Feedback:

The Magna Riser Airbornes have elevated (pun intended!) my enjoyment of the LRS loudspeakers to an apex I would have thought previously impossible. By getting the panels upright and off the floor, the overall musical presentation is remarkably enhanced, to the point that the LRS is virtually transformed, and is now no longer simply an entry-level gateway to Magneplanar’s more expensive offerings: they can easily compete on an equal footing with higher-priced Maggies. The audible improvements the Airborne stands help bring to the LRS are not subtle; they truly eliminate or help ameliorate virtually all of the initial problems I found with the LRS’s playback abilities. Adding the Magna Riser Airborne stands helps the LRS sound more like a much more expensive pair of loudspeakers than the mere $650 they retail for.

I now see that Rob has a new, different stand for the LRS, the Multi-Riser Mk. 7, which also fits a wide range of Magneplanar legacy loudspeakers, and allows the option of getting the LRS even higher off the floor for improved vertical dispersion. That would be a real boon to those who like to either stand or walk about the room while listening, and would assist in helping to correct the one fault I found with the LRS—the image height is a tad lower than ideal. At their very reasonable price, the Magna Riser stands are an absolute steal, and are also absolutely necessary to get the full spectrum of what the LRS (or any Maggie, for that matter!) are capable of. I’m incredibly impressed with the level of science, research and development, and product quality that Rob Raus has given us with the Magna Risers; they’re very highly recommended.”

It is fascinating these simple risers can have such an impact, a must buy.

1 Like

Interesting. Sounds great. My guess is tilt or not to tilt depends on seating position and an effort to raise the image - which is what the item you quoted mentioned. Seems like a pretty affordable tweak. If you can get a little extra out of them that would be special. I heard them in stock form.

Make sure to report back.

I ordered the MK 7 multi riser. 12 week wait thanks to Positive Feedback :rofl:

$269 for stands plus $650 for LRS, almost like it’s free!

2 Likes

Haven’t heard the LRS yet, but back in the 80s, I had a pair of Maggie SMGAs. They were Magnaplaner’s smallest, entry level speaker, that sold for about 500 bucks. They really sang with a Berning tube preamp, and an Audio Research D76 tube amp (75 wpc). I liked to listen to the tweeters inboard for a while, then switch to putting them outboard. No real preference, but very different. They were smallish, like the LRS, so give that a try.

sonicaly,

Mongo

1 Like

Look at your water bill next month. You will get more enjoyment out of the stands. Haha.

And btw you mentioned above about it really being 650 if you need to purchase an expensive amp ? Well yes it is. It just excels w better electronics unlike a true 650 dollar speaker.

I know I jumped off the loony bin when I bought my 20.7s - but there is something utterly magical about taking something like an LRS , turning down the lights and marveling at the cost/grin ratio. Enjoy that. I have the bigger boys and I sat and listened to them and just loved them. I would easily buy them if I needed to scale down or needed a second system etc. I was trying to make up reasons to buy them. Lol.

1 Like

I went back and forth 100 times on what to do for my .7s.

I thought the “upgraded” acrylic oval units were downright hideous, but I did want to get the speakers off the ground.

Decided to make some legs out of walnut to match the side pieces. They seem to do the trick.

Now that i’ve moved them down into my dungeon, I’m seriously contemplating ordering replacement socks for them, tho. Gray or black. Can’t decide.

I’m with @dancingsea, I love these things.

2 Likes

The biggest difference I found was a tightening of the bass. It seems better-defined, in my opinion. I was surprised that it didn’t seem to diminish at all, considering the panel is a little farther removed from whatever reinforcement the floor might have afforded, but then I also have a sub in the system. And by reinforcement in this sense I mean the kind of help any speaker gets from being close to a room boundary, and not by any sort of acoustic coupling, since my floor is concrete and doesn’t add the kinds of resonant artifacts a suspended wood diaphragm floor might.

On tilt, I can’t say whether Magnepan designs the performance of the speaker to take that into account or not. Some of these, like the LRS and .7 (yes, the stock stands for .7s are also tilted, though they lack the little flip-down adjustment tab that the LRS stands have) are designed to fit such a tight profit profile that they may view the stock stands as a compromise needed to meet the price point, and anything that would hold them vertically and still stable could make them raise the price. Who knows? What’s important to me is that my ears tell me my .7s sound better with the stands, and I don’t need to understand how much of that is because the speaker is vertical, or held more securely in place, or moved away from the floor.

One of the great things about Rob’s Magna Risers (besides the price) is that they come with an audition period, so anyone can try them out for themselves and gauge whatever improvement they hear (or don’t). I don’t know if the other manufacturers do or not.

1 Like

I’m now officially in the MagnaRiser waitlist flow chart, which only required a $25 deposit. I got a kick out of the image they sent explaining where I am in the process. Have never seen anything like it in 25 years as an audiophile:

3 Likes

The stands are “tuned?”

What, do you buy untuned stands? Really?

It’s like the Soup Nazi, we traverse the queue with heads down, no questions asked… he’s apparently a Mulligatawny Magnepan stand making savant. The stands are manufactured from Utah monolith metal :joy:

1 Like

This short video proves the Utah monolith connection…